This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Essential Oils

1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Has anyone used essential oils to prevent or relieve a gluten attack?

I think someone ought to explore there use in all of these situations. That being said I was feeling dizzy in the kitchen and Peppermint essential oil seemed to help. Ginger is supposed to be good for gas. I don't think I have more than scratched the surface.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

vickimini Newbie

Has anyone used essential oils to prevent or relieve a gluten attack?

I think someone ought to explore there use in all of these situations. That being said I was feeling dizzy in the kitchen and Peppermint essential oil seemed to help. Ginger is supposed to be good for gas. I don't think I have more than scratched the surface.

I use essential oils for many things. (Not sure if I am supposed to post brand names, and I am a distributor of one brand name.)

Ginger does one great thing for me -- I had difficulty getting my core body temperature up past about 96.4

jeanzdyn Apprentice

my mother used to give us peppermint tea to 'settle the stomach'.

so, I believe that is an old 'folk remedy'. there is something to

your experience, the peppermint oil did help you.

I do not know more about it though.

Skylark Collaborator

Essential oils wouldn't prevent the symptoms of glutening. They might help a person cope though.

Peppermint is great for GI stuff but all you need is some peppermint tea. As far as ginger, eating a slice of candied ginger works better than the essential oil, plus it's safer. Oils are adulterated a lot with aroma chemicals (particularly oils from a certain multi-level marketing group I suspect a poster in this thread is involved in) and are not necessarily safe to eat.

A lot of people find lavender oil very calming so it would be worth trying if you get anxiety when glutened. A couple drops of lavender in a diffuser or even on a tissue can be very helpful. Body Shop has a lovely natural lavender lotion too. Clary sage is another great calming oil for anxiety.

Adalaide Mentor

I've never used oils, but I certainly can say that the reason we've had fold remedies passed down through the years is because they frequently work. Some ginger or peppermint tea is always good to help with the symptoms if I have the flu or an upset stomach for some reason. There are a handful of teas I'll drink if I have trouble sleeping, although nothing is as effective as warm milk with honey and lavender. I'm not a huge fan of sage, the smell bothers me some although my grammy swears by it.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I've never used oils, but I certainly can say that the reason we've had fold remedies passed down through the years is because they frequently work. Some ginger or peppermint tea is always good to help with the symptoms if I have the flu or an upset stomach for some reason. There are a handful of teas I'll drink if I have trouble sleeping, although nothing is as effective as warm milk with honey and lavender. I'm not a huge fan of sage, the smell bothers me some although my grammy swears by it.

Oh, I have some spearmint leaves in the garden and I just can't wait to make tea with them.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Peppermint is supposed to be an appetite suppressant - just smelling it. Read a study somewhere a longtime ago. I think lemon, too?

I know mint works - when I mop I'm not hungry :).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Oh, I have some spearmint leaves in the garden and I just can't wait to make tea with them.

Back when I had a sizable herb garden I grew chocolate and orange varieties of mints. I had some amazing brownies and tea.

vickimini Newbie

Essential oils wouldn't prevent the symptoms of glutening. They might help a person cope though.

Peppermint is great for GI stuff but all you need is some peppermint tea. As far as ginger, eating a slice of candied ginger works better than the essential oil, plus it's safer. Oils are adulterated a lot with aroma chemicals (particularly oils from a certain multi-level marketing group I suspect a poster in this thread is involved in) and are not necessarily safe to eat.

A lot of people find lavender oil very calming so it would be worth trying if you get anxiety when glutened. A couple drops of lavender in a diffuser or even on a tissue can be very helpful. Body Shop has a lovely natural lavender lotion too. Clary sage is another great calming oil for anxiety.

Skylark, if you have valid information about adulterants in the oils I use, I would appreciate knowing more. I hate multilevel marketing and I have been hammered with phone calls by the person who signed me up, but I trusted the reputation of the company I get my oils from. Any good info that might help me make more informed decisions would be great! Sorry, new to board and I haven't figured out all the tools yet or I'd PM you about this. Thanks!

Skylark Collaborator

There is some information here.

Open Original Shared Link

Other than that, you are not going to find anything on the Internet. I have met three EO experts who have run YL oils over HPLC and found either mislabeled oils (spike lavender as lavender is one example that comes to mind) or artificial fragrance compounds in the oils. Problem is, people who have found adulterants in YL oils received threats when they tried to put the information on the Internet. They only talk about their findings in-person at aromatherapy conferences and they don't put anything in writing.

Even if you get pure oils from YL, they are horribly overpriced and of mediocre quality compared to what you can get from more scrupulous suppliers who are not Bible-thumping and trying to suck you into an MLM.

krohde73 Newbie

My sister-in-law is a massage therapist and just got done taking some classes about the positives in using essential oils. She just game me two, Chai and another for Flu.

I would love if someone could direct me to come that help dizziness and fatigue naturally. I've just recently been diagnosed with Celiac and am having trouble coping with certain things. Although, I feel like I've been eating much healthier, I've also noticed (embarassingly enough) that I've become gassy and sometimes it just hurts.

I'll have to try the Peppermint. :blink:

krohde73 Newbie

I agree with eating the ginger however I thought the purpose of the essential oils was because they were natural. I would never put something that had fragrance or other chemicals outside of natural ones on my skin as it would cause other reactions that I've developed to things over the years.

I think having something to take the edge off of the symptoms that is natural is fabulous. Tea is awesome for all sorts of things as well or using the two in unison could possibly help more?

vickimini Newbie

There is some information here.

Other than that, you are not going to find anything on the Internet. I have met three EO experts who have run YL oils over HPLC and found either mislabeled oils (spike lavender as lavender is one example that comes to mind) or artificial fragrance compounds in the oils. Problem is, people who have found adulterants in YL oils received threats when they tried to put the information on the Internet. They only talk about their findings in-person at aromatherapy conferences and they don't put anything in writing.

Even if you get pure oils from YL, they are horribly overpriced and of mediocre quality compared to what you can get from more scrupulous suppliers who are not Bible-thumping and trying to suck you into an MLM.

Wow! No lurking agenda here, and no way to unsubscribe. Matrix, anyone? "Baaaah!"

Skylark Collaborator

I agree with eating the ginger however I thought the purpose of the essential oils was because they were natural. I would never put something that had fragrance or other chemicals outside of natural ones on my skin as it would cause other reactions that I've developed to things over the years.

I think having something to take the edge off of the symptoms that is natural is fabulous. Tea is awesome for all sorts of things as well or using the two in unison could possibly help more?

Don't confuse "natural" with "safe". Hemlock is natural. ;) EOs are very unnaturally concentrated so they really bear no resemblance to anything you would find in nature. They are so strong you can flavor an entire pot of spaghetti sauce with a drop or two of oregano oil or a pie with a few drops of orange oil. There is very little safety data on medicinal use, and some oils that are commonly available through aromatherapy suppliers either carcinogenic or highly toxic taken when internally. That assumes you're getting pure oils, which is difficult to verify unless you happen to have a GC-MS setup in your living room. Many commercial oils are cut with cheaper oils or cut with cheap fragrance compounds like linalool and linalyl acetate. Let's put it this way. France exports over 10x the "pure" lavender oil it actually produces.

That's not to say that EOs aren't useful. You just have know what you're doing. Using EOs takes the same level of expertise and study as any herbal medicine.

Skylark Collaborator

Wow! No lurking agenda here, and no way to unsubscribe. Matrix, anyone? "Baaaah!"

I don't understand. Are you complaining about the information you specifically asked for? Opinions about Gary Young are very polarized because of the people he's hurt and stomped on along the way to build his company. He is not a nice person. <_<

• 2 years later...
graciebear Newbie

I Don't know what I'd do without my essential oils! Severe Gluten attack today 5/12/2014 I was not able to go to work. I Began with drinking an extra dose of Ningixia Red. Did a detox bath with Apple Cider Vinegar, Ginger essential oil and lavender to help calm me and Epsom Salt. (Ginger increases your heat level to help sweat out toxins). Be sure your drinking lots of water to help flush and hydrate.

Applied DiGize and peppermint to abdominal area and kidneys. Took Essentialzymes-4. I made a morphine bomb (balsam fir, copaiba and frankensce mixed with coconut) rubbed on joints for the pain. On my way to recovery. If your living with Celiac Disease or know someone with this disease I hope you share! I don't sell oils I buy them wholesale online for myself. I don't get glutened often but when I do I can recover faster with oils. Make sure your getting pure oils not synthetic.

CK1901 Explorer

I use them on my skin with good success, but I wouldn't ingest them unless they were labeled as food-grade and gluten free. I started a similar thread awhile back because I was having issues using Aura Acacia.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/106186-essential-oils-body-oils/

I think Glutenologist is right that they are alot of questionable oils out there.

Archived