This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Staying Positive

dani nero

IrishHeart Veteran

We found out we had celiac before we got in the kind of shape that some on this board did --- such as IrishHeart.

Holy crappers, Squirmy, I think this may be the first time I may have been cited as a "worst case scenario" :lol: (at least that I know of--in print. My Doc uses me as his "worst case" all the time)

.....if it makes you guys feel positive about your own situations, then I am DELIGHTED. :D

okay, here is a way for anyone reading this right now to feel positive!!

Ready?

Look at the roof over your head. Do it right now! okay, now

Look at the food in your fridge.

Look at the clothes in your closet.

Look outside and see the sunshine.

(later, look up at night and see the stars and the moon.

They shine for you!!).

Look in the eyes of a person you love.

See the love in there reflecting back? ;)

Look at your two feet. Do they take you where you need to go?

Can you read this message? You have a brain that works.

(the things most often taken for granted are overlooked as sources for positive affirmation)

See all the messages you receive every single time you post on here? People care about you and you haven't even met them yet.

Whatever you are battling --at any given moment-- is surmountable.

You have more than most people in the world.

There. That should do it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Great points all IH!

And BTW, I was headed right straight down the same road you had traveled; becoming more & more unable to function each day dealing with horrible pain. I thank my lucky stars for getting off that rotten road before one more day went by. And that is why even though I curse my dh; I also praise my dh. Without the dh manifesting so severely I would not have known for years I'm sure, that I had celiac disease.

dani nero Community Regular

Holy crappers, Squirmy, I think this may be the first time I may have been cited as a "worst case scenario" :lol: (at least that I know of--in print)

Looool :-D

Look in the eyes of a person you love.

See the love in there reflecting back? ;)

See all the messages you receive every single time you post on here? People care about you and you haven't even met them yet.

Aww! Those were so sweet! and so true on all the positive vibes. Love them!

Hi Dani, I'm sorry to hear the doctor wasn't very helpful, but I am not surprised. I went gluten free for a few weeks before managing to see a doctor and she wasn't that impressed, even though my worst symptoms cleared up on a gluten free diet!

She simply disregarded any possibility of me being coeliac, said it was IBS and wanted me to go back on eating gluten even though she wasn't that keen on testing me for it! Why would I want to go back eating food that I know was hurting my body, when the doctor advising me to do so wasn't supportive and frankly didn't seem slightly bothered about a word I was saying!

Although doctors are often unhelpful, there are plenty of other reasons to be positive! Great idea for a post, it's nice to think about the positives, not dwell on the negatives even though its difficult always feeling ill and feeling as if no one is listening!

I'm lucky to have a caring, sensitive boy friend who is very supportive, encouraging and takes great care of me whenever I am ill.

My boyfriends mother who knows a lot about the illness and has been very informative and supportive.

Wonderful parent's (who were confused at first) but now spend hours in the supermarket buying me safe food!

Starting to feel better after being gluten free for about a month! (This is the first month, in perhaps the last 4 years when I haven't been painfully ill or vomiting!)

Living in England and receiving free healthcare! (Although I've had plenty of bad experiences with doctors I am hoping to meet some understanding and positive ones soon!)

Enjoying eating again without being painfully ill after every meal!

Being excited about the possibilities of a healthy, gluten free life!

And meeting so many kind and encouraging people on this website, all of whom have helped me understand why I have been ill and taught me so much.

*thumbs up* :-)

IrishHeart Veteran

I even suggested they biopsy the rash but she insisted DH doesn't have to be linked to Celiac.

WHAT!!?? She is WRONG!!! :blink:

DH IS the cutaneous manifestation of Celiac Disease. DH is created by ingesting GLUTEN.

Bring her a flood of articles!!

Start with this one, where is states "all people with DH have Celiac"

Print this page off for her:

Open Original Shared Link

GFinDC Veteran

Good thread Dani! :)

I'm glad for John 3:16.

I'm glad that God loves me even though I don't deserve it.

I'm glad that I can paint and draw and make art.

I'm glad that God made women and not just men.

I'm glad that God made gravity so I don't fly off into space. I hear it's cold out there.

I'm glad for Muffin, the gray fur-head / cat. She kneads me when I hurt.

I'm glad my sister and her DH came to visit on Memorial Day and we got to hang out together.

I'm glad I got an early retirement offer from work. Even if it means finding another job since it ain't enough to live on.

I'm glad my mom and dad were such hard workers and taught us so much.

I'm glad I have lots of brothers and sisters to tease and bother.

I'm glad my sister is retiring and hope she likes the strap-on rocking chair adapters I got her.

I'm glad for all the people who have helped me in life even though I may not have thanked them or even understood they were helping me.

I'm glad I have celiac because I met a lot of nice people on this board and made some online friends. And because maybe I can help other people too.

I'm glad my sister figured out I had celiac when my doctor didn't. Sisters are ok.

I'm glad my feet and legs are better.

I'm glad I quit drinking. It's bad stuff for a digestive system.

I'm glad for the maple tree on the street whose leaves wave in the wind and makes shimmering patterns of light and dark on my bedroom wall.

I'm glad taxes only come once a year.

I'm glad people get better on the gluten-free diet.

I'm glad my brother with diabetes is back on his medication.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm glad my mom and dad were such hard workers and taught us so much.

I'm just going to say it.

You're a nice guy. Just so you know. :)

And Gee Free, I'm glad for my Mom and Daddy, too.

(yes, I called him that even into my 50's)

They taught me to be tenacious which saved my life.

and I am most grateful for my hubs.

My rock and my heartbeat.

You see, Dani, the list of things to think about when "thinking positive" is really quite endless when you start thinking about all our "gifts".

Gifts always trump troubles.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Very beautiful vibes Gee-Ef (the script turned the letters into Gluten-Free)! We have so many celiac artists here by the way. Maybe we should do some collaborative work to promote celiac awareness (when we have time.. I'm swamped with late assignments). Just a thought.

You see, Dani, the list of things to think about when "thinking positive" is really quite endless when you start thinking about all our "gifts".

I see, yes :-) I tend to be a whiny cry-baby every time something that does not agree with my liking happens (as you might have noticed from all my vent posts), so I thought of doing something positive this time.. Which I think is perhaps God's way to prepare me for what's to come so I don't take it so hard haha :-)

As for the doc.. She didn't seem like the type of person who's open to patients correcting her. Until a better option than her pops up, I'm not gonna get on her bad side. It took me three months or maybe more to get the appointment.

I'm really so glad for having this board.

Here are more positive vibes:

I'm glad Stevia exists!

I'm glad I'm having bowel movements (lol!)

I'm glad God made lots of colorful things for me to look at. I LOVE colors :-P

I'm glad I can eat mangoes without getting bloated or agitated.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm glad God made lots of colorful things for me to look at. I LOVE colors :-P

....which reminds me, I am glad I have my eyes!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm glad I'm having bowel movements (lol!)

I'll bet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not having them --could be very, very dangerous.

woodnewt Rookie

What are your positive-vibe inducing thoughts?

I focus on what I have, what I can do, and what I can eat rather than what I don't have, or can't eat, or can't do. I've learned to be thankful for what I have before it's gone.

The primary thing keeping me focused right now is school. Returning student after a several year medical leave of absence. I was so sick, and so financially strained, I thought I'd never be able to go back.

IrishHeart Veteran

I focus on what I have, what I can do, and what I can eat rather than what I don't have, or can't eat, or can't do. I've learned to be thankful for what I have before it's gone.

The primary thing keeping me focused right now is school. Returning student after a several year medical leave of absence. I was so sick, and so financially strained, I thought I'd never be able to go back.

Okay, well, this post just moved me to joyful tears. IH is standing up and wildly applauding you!! :)

Those of us who "return from the dead" after years of debilitating illness are warriors.

I am thrilled for you for reclaiming your life and moving forward with purpose. I continue to do the same. One amazing day at a time, filled with gratitude.

I wish you all the best!

With admiration, IH

Agreed with IH, your post is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing it. I feel like working even harder on late school projects now. Hope all goes well for you too :-)

cougie23 Explorer

Wow...AMAZING thread!!! :D:D:D

You are all very insperational! :P

That being said...Isn't it amazing how our pets know JUST the right spot to drape on when you don't feel well? I had a cat...weather It was a migraine(drape against my neck and purr)...a stomacheache (drape on top of my stomache and purr)...my back...or even celiac induced leg/foot/arm cramps...he'd find the EXACT spot...unprovoked...lay on it and PURR!!! :blink::lol: And trust me...it wasn't allways easy to get himself exactly right either...but he'd keep trying till he was satisfied!LOL! I used to call him my little chakra tuner...because my body would relax and calming waves would replace the pain as I listened to his purring...I could feel it through my wholebody!Yes I'm greatful for many,many things...I could fill pages,but I thought I would mention my little grey Boo..(TWEEK-A-BA-BOO...to be exact)!Now I'm not saying he wasn't a little bastard at times...(most creatures and humans can be)...but I'm still thankful, and I miss him...sometimes! LOL! :lol::P:) (except when he was peeing in my shoe....attacking my neighbors dogs...or pooping behind the couch in protest for me being mad at him for peeing on my bed I just bought!...stuff like that! LOL!) :blink::rolleyes:

When I was pregnant(13 yrs ago)...Both cats would lay on either side of my tummy while I slept(you all know a baby kicks the most when you lay down because theres no movement to lull it to sleep!)...but those two cats (Bosker,redtabby...and Boo,silvergrey)would lay on either side and PURR...conferting my son...while I rested!

Pets are so wonderful...In so many ways...definatly something to be greatful for! :)

Our latest big boy(20 pound Mainecoon) Moose is a big time draper as well. if ANY one is snuggling on the couch...he has to be right on top!And in the mornings...he wakes me up by trying to give my face a bath!...He has an extreamly ruff tounge being a long hair! He tries to clean my 13yr.olds bangs and gets it all caught in his mouth...its really funny...his heart is in the right place! :P

Sorry to go on...but several people mentioned PETS...and I couldn't agree more!

LOL!!! :D:D:D

Infact...I even printed out gfindc's post as well as one of Irishes to look at later...I was so inspired! LOL!!! THANKS GUYS!!!Great thread...EVERYONE! B)

Archived