This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

First Day Paleo- Quick ?

MitziG

MitziG Enthusiast

This probably isn't the right forum, wasn't sure where to post it, so I apologize.

How strict do you need to be to reap the benefits?

Like- I use organic coconut "butter" spread- obviously this was not something caveman had access to- but what is in it, coconut oil, sunflower oil, lactic acid and salt- seem pretty ok.

What about using almond flour or coconut flour or tapioca starch to make "bread" type items? is that allowed since it is not in its natural form?

Thanks for any guidance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

This probably isn't the right forum, wasn't sure where to post it, so I apologize.

Like- I use organic coconut "butter" spread- obviously this was not something caveman had access to- but what is in it, coconut oil, sunflower oil, lactic acid and salt- seem pretty ok.

What about using almond flour or coconut flour or tapioca starch to make "bread" type items? is that allowed since it is not in its natural form?

Thanks for any guidance!

My recommendation- check out elana's pantry. It's a gluten free blog written by a woman who first went gluten free, then started to kick sugar and dairy, and is now paleo. It's a very reliable source for info, and recipes. And yes, almond flour and coocnut flour are 'ok' on a paleo diet, I don't think starches are, but don't take my word for it. Check out the website.

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks for any guidance!

Depends on what your motivation is for going paleo. Sunflower oil is high in omega-6 and will tend to promote inflammation. It's also a highly processed, refined product. Cordain doesn't recommend eating vegetable oils other than cold pressed extra-virgin olive oil.

If you're trying to control starches in general, tapioca is a no-no and you'd use almond. If you're trying to stick to vegetable starches to get away from grains, it's a good choice. Some paleo dieters are opposed to bread in general, but I think that's more of a philosophical than nutritional objection. Personally the big challenge I have with "bread" type items and paleo is the temptation to overeat them in place of veggies. :lol: Almond flour baked goods are really tasty!

MitziG Enthusiast

Gotcha! Yes, reducing inflammation and rebalancing my gut bacteria are my primary motivations. Having seen how much better my skin is now that I went casein free too has really clued me in on what food has been doing to my body. I just want to give it the best chance for healing and functioning properly. And yes, I LOVE almond flour- have a gluten-free carrot cake recipe that is so good I have been known to eat it for breakfast!

Thank you for the tip on elanas pantry- I will check it out! Funny the path Celiac ends up leading us down!

rosetapper23 Explorer

Try checking out www.marksdailyapple.com--this is a great site for navigating the paleo diet.

kwylee Apprentice

Try checking out www.marksdailyapple.com--this is a great site for navigating the paleo diet.

Excellent idea about Mark's Daily Apple. And on the tapioca question, coincidentally, I got a blog post just yesterday from there that cited tapioca as an acceptable Paleo item.

Skylark Collaborator

Excellent idea about Mark's Daily Apple. And on the tapioca question, coincidentally, I got a blog post just yesterday from there that cited tapioca as an acceptable Paleo item.

It's not a grain which is good, though tapioca starch is processed and hardly more nourishing than bleached flour. To my way of thinking it doesn't fit the nutritionally dense paleo philosophy and is probably something to avoid if you're trying to kill Candida and regrow gut bacteria.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MitziG Enthusiast

Ok, I am sucking down avocadoes and nuts and eggs and meat like a starving person- cuz I am starving! I would kill for a piece of Udis bread right now!

Assuming this too will pass, just like gluten cravings did? Please say yes....

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Ok, I am sucking down avocadoes and nuts and eggs and meat like a starving person- cuz I am starving! I would kill for a piece of Udis bread right now!

Are potatoes and sweet potatoes ok for paleo? Baked sweet potato doesn't even need anything added.

Fairy Dancer Contributor

ARrrgghhhhh get rid of the sunflower oil!!!!!

I do paleo but I do a fairly strict version of it these days. It has worked in stopping my bowel issues such as bloating, diarrhoea etc and has given me much more physical energy, however, I am still having issues with feeling drowsy all day and brain fog. On saying that I have not been on it for long myself and I also just quit smoking so that might be playing a role too.

I stick to meat, fish, eggs, nuts, lots of veg, and some fruit (mostly berries)for food and mineral water with the occasional cup of black (unsweetened) coffee for drinks.

I don't eat any processed foods at the present time (other than the coffee) and if I do use fat to cook with (mostly I just eat whatever comes naturally in the food and avoid cooking in extra fat unless it is absolutely required to stop things sticking to the pan (such as dry meats like chicken breast...meats with a lot of fat content rarely need extra fat adding and cook in their own juices) as I believe this is a more natural way of consuming foods but that is a personal thing...) I use non hydrogenated animal fat. I did try coconut oil but it kind of upset my gut and give me acid reflux (as can sunflower oil)...animal fat does not.

There were two reasons I went so strict though and those are weight loss (I need to lose some) and the fact that I was sick and tired of being stuck in bed each day feeling ill. Ok I still get days where I am stuck in bed due to the darn drowsiness I get but i get more good days than I used to and at least I have physical energy even if my brain is sleepy lol (it was sleepy before paleo so the diet is not to blame for that).

Anyone know if paleo can clear brain fog and drowsiness cause I just had to pull out of doing a degree I was getting good marks on because my brain is so exhausted it was refusing the process any more work. I am pissed off with my brain right now because I was getting straight A grades dammit...but I was falling badly behind with the reading due to drowsiness all the time and so got to a point where I just could not catch up. Annoying.

I am not on any meds (I weaned off those too as I was on antidepressants but they do diddly squit for the feeling ill), gave up smoking and went paleo removing all dairy, grains, legumes and processed foods so my lifestyle is now pretty clean....but still I am sleepy during the day. Gah.

Have physical energy but brain has times when its incapable of staying awake and keep dozing off...

Skylark Collaborator

Yes, it will pass. It just takes getting used to. Have a big pile of salad to help feel full and eat some fruit if you're dying for carbs. It gets better!!!

Can't help you with the sleepiness Fairy Dancer. I'm suffering from it too. Getting a bunch of testing done through a naturopath to see if we can find some answers.

Lori2 Contributor

Skylark, I know there are different versions of the paleo diet, but, in your estimation, are sweet potatoes acceptable on the paleo diet? I love my sweet potatoes, sliced in 1/2 inch slices, coated with coconut oil and roasted in the oven--crispy on the outside and soft and creamy inside.

Skylark Collaborator

Depends whose paleo you're following. I read Cordain's book so that's the version I know best. Cordain has you eliminate all the starchy tubers including sweet potatoes. His idea is that anything that causes insulin spikes is bad. There is a counterargument that humans have had access to starchy tubers and fire to roast them for a very long time. Personally I tolerate them really well because they don't have any lectins so I do eat them sometimes.

I'm not strict paleo though. I eat low-lectin and dairy-free, which means no grains other than a little white rice, limited nightshades, and very few legumes (I tolerate lentils and green beans OK).

Archived