Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

To Be Vegetarian Or Not Be Vegetarian On Gluten Free Diet?

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#16 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Forgive the bluntness of the question, but just to doulbe check, are you positive the meat you're eating is gluten free? Most sausages and deli meats aren't safe, ...

"Most"? I don't think that's anywhere near true. At least in California - is there some sort of regional affinity elsewhere for gluteny sausages or deli meats?
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:16 AM

yes Strawberry jam. i can handle fish fine with no problem. Just would have to watch how much amount i do eat tuna and other kind of fresh catch fish for mecury leve

if I were you, I'd eat the max recommended amount of fish per week, and mix it up between big fresh-catch predator fish like tuna and salmon and farmed fish like mackerel etc. they both have chemical problems but the problems are different, idk.

plain eggs tend to give me heartburn, but if they don't for you, eggs are great protein, especially the yolks. don't listen to anyone yammer about cholesterol because eggs are good for you, end of story. :angry:

also, using digestive enzymes with meat might help. fat can be a heartburn trigger so eating lean meats that are baked or stewed rather than fried in oil might help. chicken is probably easier to digest than other kinds of meat. Making fresh meat stock from bones and joints is super-packed with nutrients and absorbed into the gut pretty much immediately so shouldn't cause digestion problems. I get meaty marrow beef bones from the butcher for free to make stock with (they would just throw them away otherwise).

if you do go veg, don't count on soy for protein. it's a poor substitute and comes with too many problems of its own...

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#18 LuckyAtlas84

LuckyAtlas84

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

if you do go veg, don't count on soy for protein. it's a poor substitute and comes with too many problems of its own...

Of course!! I am not too crazy about Soy since I heard it was not excatly good for us either but if we eat it in small quanilties which is okay... Since so many products do include soy as well similar to Wheat be included in almost all of products also.

I guess our government must really want us to lead short life span? interesting! right?!?!? lol
Still in process of searching for answers to my symptoms

Disagnosed with PCOs Dec 2010
Disagnosed with Asthma Sept 1993

#19 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:01 AM

Of course!! I am not too crazy about Soy since I heard it was not excatly good for us either but if we eat it in small quanilties which is okay... Since so many products do include soy as well similar to Wheat be included in almost all of products also.

I guess our government must really want us to lead short life span? interesting! right?!?!? lol

Since soy is in so many products ,, similar to wheat,, maybe that alone should set of warning bells for all of us.

Personally, soy is as disastrous ,if not more so ,, for my body as gluten.

Being vegetarian may require more though and planning without gluten and soy in the meal plan but it is most definitely possible( as long as you tolerate legumes ).

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#20 Marie1976

Marie1976

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

I'm a vegan and I have celiac disease. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, potatoes, tofu, beans, quinoa (a grain that is a complete protein -- it's good with peas and onions like a pilaf), rice and rice noodles. I drink smoothies and add supplements like rice protein powder, nutritional yeast (for B vitamins), Udo's Oil (for omegas) and spinach (for iron).

All of the faux meats I used to eat had gluten or soy sauce in them so I can't eat those anymore, but I use extra firm tofu in a lot of different ways. Scrambled with onions and turmeric (sp?) for "scrambled eggs." Chopped up with veganaise, mustard and dill pickles like egg salad (on gluten free bread). Stir fried with eggplant, mushrooms and La Choy soy sauce for a stir fry over rice. I even have a pie recipe that is tofu, peanut butter, rice milk and sugar blended up in a blender and poured in a (gluten free) graham cracker crust. Yum! Even my mom loves my peanut butter pie and she doesn't like tofu. I know a lot of people think tofu is gross, but seriously it's just soybeans. Think about what an egg is and where it comes from, ha ha!

Maybe it takes some getting used to. But my kids love it, they eat it plain and uncooked. You can also get yogurt made out of soy, almond or coconut milk.

Well that's my two cents! Take it or leave it! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: