Help With A Shopping List Please!
Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:00 PM
In some ways this will be like shopping right after diagnosis because I have no clue about what to tell her to buy for me. Ack! What brands of meat (chicken, turkey, beef) do you all buy? Where I am they inject most meats with additives that contain gluten so I'm somewhat leery of meat at this point but desperate to eat something other than fish. She's going to check to see about availability of organic meat but I don't want to send her off hunting stuff down if she can pick something up at Safeway like Tysons!
Thanks for any suggestions.
Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:14 PM
As far as meats - fresh meats are usually fine with a few caveats...
1) I don't buy pork with injected solutions. The solutions are usually gluten-free but I don't want the sodium or additives so I buy pork at natural markets where it isn't injected. Packaging will clearly state if it is injected with a solution.
2) chicken can have injected solutions, but you can usually find brands without it at the regular grocery store. Again, packaging clearly marked. Some packages will say "may contain retained water" and that's fine. Tell her to look out for "solution".
3) molded or formed meats and meat glue. Gross. Tell her not to buy prepackaged filet mignon, etc (packaged from a manufacturer not the grocer). There is one type of meat glue that contains gluten but it's used in noodles, but others contain milk. I don't think they have to say "glue" but will say molded or formed.
I buy Boars Head lunch meat and cheese - all of it is gluten-free but if she buys it freshly sliced she must ask them to clean the slicer first. It is also available prepacked from BH.
Hormel Naturals also makes a decent gluten-free bacon.
And here is IH's Newbie 101 thread. Lots of products here. http://www.celiac.co...__fromsearch__1
Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND.
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).
Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!
Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:43 AM
Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:32 PM
Plus I found a shop in Medford that has tons of gluten-free foods...I try to avoid replacement foods but hey, I might treat myself to some gluten-free bread or a doughnut.
Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:31 AM
Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:31 AM
- self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
- dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
- second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
- medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
- lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
- taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users