#1 koko_girl

koko_girl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hi guys,

I was recently diagonised with Celiac disease. I have been extremely underweight for 1 year. 45 kg for 167m

I live in Dubai. The doctors just kept telling me that i should be happy that i was thin. I used to have a curvy normal body. That I should just eat more. I went on a 3000 cal diet - (all carbs, pastas, pizzas, ice-cream, junk food ect...) for a few months and put on 2 kg - still nothing.

Then 2 months late the doctor where i had undergone the colonoscopy called and advised that my small intestine was damaged, i went back and did the blood test. Apparently the figures were extremely high.

Ever since I have been Gluten free, now from my own diagnosis i think that i cannot tolerate Soy. I drank SILK SOY Vanilla flavor yesterday and felt ill, I also tried to start taking a Soy Based weight gainer and my system relapsed a few days ago.

My weight that had finally reached 48kg is now at 46kg. So frustrated.

Im taking: Calcium/Mag, Vitamin D, Glutamine, Folic Acid, and Fish Oil daily as this is supposed to heal the intestine. Doctors here do not know much about this condition and haven't prescribed anything.

Can anyone advise how i can start gaining weight again, I feel like its a lost case. Just want to be a healthy woman again.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pianoland

pianoland

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

As someone who also struggled with keeping my weight on... PROTEIN is your new best friend. Fresh meat, fish, eggs, nuts. I'm not sure if you eat dairy but milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. Larabars are a great source of protein for a packaged snack. Stay away from soy for a while!
Celebrating being gluten free since July 22, 2011.

#3 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi back to you.
I have intestinal damage due to wheat and am too thin and underweight. Doctor has said "It is just going to be some time before you will gain it back."

Aside from being tired of people commenting on how thin I was, I wanted to gain weight because my clothes were too big and baggy and I didn't want to buy new clothes. My new diet of wheat corn soy and lactose free plus having to eat organic was expensive enough already.

So I added in calories by eating rice milk ice cream I made, and almond butter on wheat-free bread I made. All I ended up doing was overloading my digestive system and feeling worse and then losing the weight I gained from eating those things. I think I put more into my digestive system than it could handle. I am not quite 2 years without wheat and am still underweight. I do remember reading it takes about 2 years for an adult to heal from Celiac Disease. So maybe we just need to be more patient about gaining weight. At worst I was 98 pounds (about 42kg if I am converting correctly). Now I stay 103 to 106 pounds (about 47 to 48 kg).

#4 koko_girl

koko_girl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

Wow guys thanks so much for your insight. Its so hard to know what to do.

I keep reading articles about people that cannot loose weight. This is not our case.
I'm still struggling, I think that I am also over-loading my body I'm eating all the time. At least every 2 hrs. If not I feel weak and angry.
Its crazy I used to look at food and put weight on. Now I eat like a horse no kidding and nothing.

I've read article about the hunter- gatherer Paleo diet basically all organic. High in Protein, Meats, Fish, Eggs, Vegs, Fruits, Alomond milk (instead of Rice Milk). But this eliminates Rice, Patatoes and Dairy, Soy. Apparantely Celiacs that are not seeing any results just with Gluten free diets should try it.

Another word of advice is to try taking a probiotic - i was using Florea you take it before eating as it helps build the intestine, and glutamine it helps promote recover. I've noticed that the last few days since i run out i feel weaker. So try this.

I know how you feel its a battle every day to maintain weight, let alone gain a little bit extra so the weighing scales nos change to higher instead of lower.

Hopefully we can keep eachother motivated and let eachother know of any progress along the way.

Also how do you know when you're healing? What are the signs? As no one seems to mention this.

Courage xx

#5 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

I once listened to a Doctor on television talking about healing of the digestive system after damage from Celiacs Disease or gluten. He said not to be concerned when you start hearing noises or even a lot of noise going on in there because it means it is healing. I don't know if it is true but it seems to me that noise would at least indicate it is attempting to try to work. He also said the more severe the symptoms were then the longer it would take to heal.

As for me I didn't start hearing noises until a month ago (1 and 1/2 years after going gluten-free). And it has gotten progressively noisier in there. So I am hopeful it is healing. Also I have begun to feel some little stinging sensations at different areas in my intestines which makes me think it is starting to heal. The stinging is nothing really compared to what felt like electrical shocks shooting threw me when I first became ill. And too, there is my age...since I am over 50 I am expecting it will take longer to heal than for someone younger.

Yes, courage is needed...Celiac's and gluten sensitivity isn't for sissies :). A speedy healing to all and best wishes for weight management whether it be losing or gaining. All of the people I have met in my area with Celiac's have gained weight and they are just as troubled with trying to lose weight as I am with trying to gain weight.

#6 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

Have you had your thyroid checked? It is quite common to have thyroid issues with celiac and if you are eating that much and not gaining weight you could have hyperthyroidism or have some other condition that is preventing you from gaining weight.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#7 erc1

erc1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Have you had your thyroid checked? It is quite common to have thyroid issues with celiac and if you are eating that much and not gaining weight you could have hyperthyroidism or have some other condition that is preventing you from gaining weight.

I am having the same issue! Before I discovered my intolerance for wheat/gluten I was hovering around 170lbs. After getting sick and losing 15-20lbs within the span of 1.5-2 months (prior switching to gluten free), I have been incapable of putting weight back on. I have increased my protein intake in an attempt to put on weight along with helping to build muscle and I've also stopped watching my sugar/carb/calorie intake. I've been purposely letting myself eat worse in hopes that it will help put on any kind of weight! Nothing seems to be working!! I hope you have more luck with it than I and would be interested to hear any other tips / success stories!

#8 kkgirl

kkgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

i am in the same boat you guys are in. im 18 and my weight hasnt really changed since i started this diet a year ago. i am 91 lbs it goes from 94 to 91 in that area. the only time ive weighed 98- 100 was when i ate alot that day.

#9 Howard the Celeriac

Howard the Celeriac

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

I have the same problem.

I have been a Coeliac for 7 years and strictly adhere to the diet but I cannot put on weight. I was hoping now that I'm 30 my metabolism is going to slow down but so far no change.

It's frustrating because everyone just tells me I'm really lucky and that they can't lose weight.

However I am a martial artist and would like to gain a bit of weight to turn to muscle which seems impossible.

#10 Benso

Benso

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hi guys,

I was recently diagonised with Celiac disease. I have been extremely underweight for 1 year. 45 kg for 167m

I live in Dubai. The doctors just kept telling me that i should be happy that i was thin. I used to have a curvy normal body. That I should just eat more. I went on a 3000 cal diet - (all carbs, pastas, pizzas, ice-cream, junk food ect...) for a few months and put on 2 kg - still nothing.

Then 2 months late the doctor where i had undergone the colonoscopy called and advised that my small intestine was damaged, i went back and did the blood test. Apparently the figures were extremely high.

Ever since I have been Gluten free, now from my own diagnosis i think that i cannot tolerate Soy. I drank SILK SOY Vanilla flavor yesterday and felt ill, I also tried to start taking a Soy Based weight gainer and my system relapsed a few days ago.

My weight that had finally reached 48kg is now at 46kg. So frustrated.

Im taking: Calcium/Mag, Vitamin D, Glutamine, Folic Acid, and Fish Oil daily as this is supposed to heal the intestine. Doctors here do not know much about this condition and haven't prescribed anything.

Can anyone advise how i can start gaining weight again, I feel like its a lost case. Just want to be a healthy woman again.

Hi I am a male and at the moment cant seem to gain weight either.
Doctors just say you will be OK and ytour blood tests are OK in the UK they just want to save money.
I think being a guy and losing weight is really hard,i am going to try different methods and i will report back
The last time i gained weight by doing weights at the gym but i would love to find another method so i dont feel too underwieght

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

I am having the same issue! Before I discovered my intolerance for wheat/gluten I was hovering around 170lbs. After getting sick and losing 15-20lbs within the span of 1.5-2 months (prior switching to gluten free), I have been incapable of putting weight back on. I have increased my protein intake in an attempt to put on weight along with helping to build muscle and I've also stopped watching my sugar/carb/calorie intake. I've been purposely letting myself eat worse in hopes that it will help put on any kind of weight! Nothing seems to be working!! I hope you have more luck with it than I and would be interested to hear any other tips / success stories!

Welcome to the site Erc!

i am in the same boat you guys are in. im 18 and my weight hasnt really changed since i started this diet a year ago. i am 91 lbs it goes from 94 to 91 in that area. the only time ive weighed 98- 100 was when i ate alot that day.

and another welcome to you Kkgirl!

Hi I am a male and at the moment cant seem to gain weight either.
Doctors just say you will be OK and ytour blood tests are OK in the UK they just want to save money.
I think being a guy and losing weight is really hard,i am going to try different methods and i will report back
The last time i gained weight by doing weights at the gym but i would love to find another method so i don't feel too underwieght

And not but not least howdy Benso!

Here are some threads that might help some. None of them are specifically about weight gain, but they do have good info.

The thing with celiac disease is that we tend to develop reactions to other foods. So it is best not to assume that any food is safe until you trial it via an elimination diet. One theory is that we tend to develop reactions to foods that we eat a often.

The foods that are commonly a problem for people are the top 8 food allergens. You could eliminate all of those first to see if there is an improvement. If not then you may need to try a more thorough elimination diet.

Avoiding processed foods is a good idea, and eating only whole foods only for a few months may help.

No dairy or soy and lots of protein are good ideas.

Avoiding alcohol may help also.

Mayo Clinic top 8 food allergens

• Milk
  • Eggs
  • Peanuts
  • Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)
  • Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)
  • Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)
  • Soy
  • Wheat
FAQ Celiac com
http://www.celiac.co...celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101
http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?
http://www.celiac.co...reakfast-today/

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?
http://www.celiac.co...or-lunch-today/

What Are You Cooking Tonight?
http://www.celiac.co...ooking-tonight/

How bad is cheating?
http://www.celiac.co...t-periodically/
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#12 nhabib

nhabib

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

welcome to the club everyone, I am a celiac n under-wight I am 47Kg and my height is 5.5ft and I m on gluten free diet since 2 years and i have gained only 2kgs. I have tried everything to gain weight i even drink ensure for some calories and eat meat all sort of but still its not working for me. People call me skinny and I feel really bad sometimes :( I have tried to follow a diet plan but in the end I got sick coz i guess i over loaded my digestive system.
Now i have accepted it mentally that I have to be happy with whatever I have. being celiac is not easy its a very tough job and no one understands that but I m glad there r many celiacs on this forum who can understand and will actually read my reply as well.

#13 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

welcome to the club everyone, I am a celiac n under-wight I am 47Kg and my height is 5.5ft and I m on gluten free diet since 2 years and i have gained only 2kgs. I have tried everything to gain weight i even drink ensure for some calories and eat meat all sort of but still its not working for me. People call me skinny and I feel really bad sometimes :( I have tried to follow a diet plan but in the end I got sick coz i guess i over loaded my digestive system.
Now i have accepted it mentally that I have to be happy with whatever I have. being celiac is not easy its a very tough job and no one understands that but I m glad there r many celiacs on this forum who can understand and will actually read my reply as well.

Welcome Nhabib! Lots of people seem to be having weight loss problems.

This thread link has some ideas for gaining weight and other conditions to check on.

Thyroid is one possible issue as you can lose weight if you are hyper-thyroid. (over active thyroid).

Another is diabetes which can cause some people to lose weight.

I Am Wasting Away - Please Help! :(
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#14 Lizanne

Lizanne

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hi all - in March I weighed 138 pounds. I found out I had celiac disease in July. I started losing weight before my diagnosis due to felling sick constantly. Dr first thought I had IBS. I've been eating gluten free since July and have list weight steadily- I now weigh 119. I eat plain alot of chicken rice and vegetables. I also eat gluten free breads, etc. I still cannot eat dairy. I think I eat alot, I'm always hungry!
What to do?
Gluten-Free Since July 2012

#15 rebeccanicole88

rebeccanicole88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

I've had weight issues all my life. It took 6 years for doctors to find out gluten was my problem. I couldn't keep weight on and I was either not hungry or afraid to eat. I eat more now that I am gluten free and still not gaining which is fine for me but my doctors seem to think I need to gain weight. I don't know what to do to gain weight.
Gluten Free since 2010
Chocolate Free since 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: