This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Hate This

bratcat

bratcat Apprentice

I'm gluten free and STILL bloated and feel crappy.I will be so glad when I can feel good again.I'm not really sick,just feel as big as a blimp and stomach feels weird.I am so careful to not eat gluten yet I still feel like I have.Does anyone else feel this way?Sometimes I think if I am going to feel this way,I might as well eat the foods I want so badly.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I don't feel sick but I do get very bloated now....especially if I have any dairy. I'm not eating dairy now and cutting back on the processed gluten-free foods and it seems to be helping.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Don't give up! Keep looking at your diet and see if there ar eother issues. I have problems with dairy things too and also with acidic foods. Once you get everything worked out you will feel better. If you eat the food that you know make you sick they will only cause damage and hurt you even more. I hope you start feeling better, Bratcat.

PreOptMegs Explorer

I have posted this a lot, but I believe in it 100%. THe gluten-free diet didn't do it for me. period. Try looking into the specific carbohydrate diet (www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com). Any questions, please ask. It is an amazing diet and I feel better than I ever have.

tarnalberry Community Regular
I'm gluten free and STILL  bloated  and feel crappy.I will be so glad when I can feel good again.I'm not really sick,just feel as big as a blimp and stomach feels weird.I am so careful to not eat gluten  yet I still feel like I have.Does anyone else feel this way?Sometimes I think if I am going to feel this way,I might as well eat  the foods I want so badly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you determined whether or not you have a problem with dairy? Those symptoms you list are the most common symptoms of lactose intolerance.

SandyShoes Rookie

I can relate. I have lived on these boards the last few days, because I must have gotten glutened somewhere and I feel lousy. Back to the topic tho, I am a tiny person, size 4...and right now...I betcha my gut alone is a size 8. Its a rumbling, bubbly, gurgly bloated MESS, my stomach is...been gluten free 4 months. Doesnt feel like it tho, and yes, I HATE IT TOO. I agree with the poster about eliminating dairy. I do think that since its so hard to digest, it can't be helping us any when our intestines are damaged.

I think corn is another culprit, too...at least for me.

Hope you feel better soon...

bratcat Apprentice

I have never had a problem with dairy or corn.I really don't feel this way all the time.Last week I was fine.I stuck to cornbread all week and for breakfast I used the Ezekiel bread--cinnamon and raisin.I am doing the same this week but feel lousy :( .I guess I really get down too easily,but I am 55 years old and have been at this for a year.It IS hard to teach an old dog a new trick! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I have never had a problem with dairy or corn.I really don't feel this way all the time.Last week I was fine.I stuck to cornbread all week and for breakfast I used the Ezekiel bread--cinnamon and raisin.I am doing the same this week but feel lousy :( .I guess I really get down too easily,but I am 55 years old and have been at this for a year.It IS hard to teach an old dog a new trick! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ezekiel bread is made from sprouted gluten-containing grains. You got glutened!

bratcat Apprentice
Ezekiel bread is made from sprouted gluten-containing grains.  You got glutened!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The lady at the health food store told me that since it was made from sprouted grain it had no flour,therefore no gluten.She is on a gluten-free diet and she uses it.

There is still so much I don't know or understand about all this. :unsure:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
The lady at the health food store told me that since it was made from sprouted grain it had no flour,therefore no gluten.She is on a gluten-free diet and she uses it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You were misinformed. If she follows the diet too then she was glutened as well because that stuff is NOT gluten free.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Nope...Ezekial bread is not gluten-free. So now you know why you feel sick. I just don't trust what a store employee says is gluten-free or isn't gluten-free...always doublecheck. Yesterday at a health store the guy who helped me was VERY knowledgeable about celiac disease and he gave me some vitamins which he said were the best. Of course the first thing I asked was if they were gluten-free...he said they were and I bought them. Had to return them today cuz when I got home and checked the label it only said Wheat Free and sure enough it had barley grass. Luckily I didn't get glutened.

bluelotus Contributor

Hi all,

I was feeling lousy for a while too until I learned that I had dairy/egg intolerance as well as a corn sensitivity. I also eliminated soaps and shampoos that contained wheat - it eliminated my headaches. I probably had residues on my hands and got glutened. Good luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A not uncommon, but very problematic misconception. The sprouted grain still contains the protein that bothers us. In theory, if grown long enough, the grass that forms from such a sprout might have no gluten, but they're not using the grass, they're using the sprout, and it's got the protein.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
A not uncommon, but very problematic misconception.  The sprouted grain still contains the protein that bothers us.  In theory, if grown long enough, the grass that forms from such a sprout might have no gluten, but they're not using the grass, they're using the sprout, and it's got the protein.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So is barley *grass* considered gluten-free. Its in my vitamins and I assumed it had gluten...it probably does but I just want to double check cuz lots of things have wheat grass or barley grass in them.

There isn't a yes/no answer on this one. As the seed sprouts and grows a blade of grass, the protein in the plant is used up in the metabolic process. When does all the protein get used up? Who knows? That's why I avoid grasses and sprouts from the offending grains.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks,

I checked the unsafe food ingredient list and barley grass is on there so now I know. :) My luck there would be tons of gluten left in that blade of grass!

Guest BellyTimber

In addition to that, a very great many of us have sensitivity to the whole of the wheat, barley, rye etc not just its germ.

debmidge Rising Star

Just a thought, but maybe the lady in the health food store isn't celiac but eats gluten-free for other reasons and that's why she doesn't get the reaction you do? Just a thought....I could be wrong...

• 2 years later...
Better-Days-Ahead Newbie
Nope...Ezekial bread is not gluten-free. So now you know why you feel sick. I just don't trust what a store employee says is gluten-free or isn't gluten-free...always doublecheck. Yesterday at a health store the guy who helped me was VERY knowledgeable about celiac disease and he gave me some vitamins which he said were the best. Of course the first thing I asked was if they were gluten-free...he said they were and I bought them. Had to return them today cuz when I got home and checked the label it only said Wheat Free and sure enough it had barley grass. Luckily I didn't get glutened.

"Food For Life" makes a wheat-free bread line, and separate from these products, makes a gluten-free bread line. On one line the packaging says, "flourless, wheat-free" and on the other line of products the packaging says, "Gluten-free". People, apparently, are generalizing -- incorrectly -- when they report that Ezekial bread is "....not gluten-free..." They need to purchase products in "Food For Life's" gluten-free product line. And no, I don't have a horse in this race but just want people to be correctly informed so that educated decisions may be made.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
"Food For Life" makes a wheat-free bread line, and separate from these products, makes a gluten-free bread line. On one line the packaging says, "flourless, wheat-free" and on the other line of products the packaging says, "Gluten-free". People, apparently, are generalizing -- incorrectly -- when they report that Ezekial bread is "....not gluten-free..." They need to purchase products in "Food For Life's" gluten-free product line. And no, I don't have a horse in this race but just want people to be correctly informed so that educated decisions may be made.

Nobody said Food For Life doesn't make gluten free food, they said that Ezekiel brand stuff is sprouted wheat & other grains, ergo, not gluten free. There is no "Ezekiel" gluten free stuff. If there is, by all means, I'd love to have sprouted rice bread.

Archived