Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sandwich Alternative

6 posts in this topic

My sister thought of this and I thought I would share...Instead of bread, we wash and hollow out a red pepper. Fill the pepper (I have only used red) and fill it with anything from tuna or chicken salad, cold cuts and hummus, cold cuts and alouette cheese, veggies, guacamole, etc...The rigidity of the pepper holds up so well if you need to make it and eat it later (travel/work/school) and you know you are getting your veggie count for the meal! I know it sounds awkward, but eating it just by squeezing it and eating it like a sandwich really works. Try it - it is really good!!

Ads by Google:

Yum! Salad fixings and a smidge of dressing! Taco meat, cheese, etc (could heat that one up to melt cheese). Red Peppers will be cheaper as we are entering summer, too!

Tell Sis I said "Thanks!"

Edited to add:

Think of the calories you save on 2 pieces of gluten-free bread! 30-45 calories for the Red Pepper! And the lettuce won't slide off!

Very good idea.

I bet roasted veggies would work if you're willing to eat it with a fork, but I guess that would be more lasagna-like?

Sounds awesome, this will be a staple in my house through the summer. I wonder if it's too late to buy some pepper starters at the garden store.

My sister thought of this and I thought I would share...Instead of bread, we wash and hollow out a red pepper. Fill the pepper (I have only used red) and fill it with anything from tuna or chicken salad, cold cuts and hummus, cold cuts and alouette cheese, veggies, guacamole, etc...The rigidity of the pepper holds up so well if you need to make it and eat it later (travel/work/school) and you know you are getting your veggie count for the meal! I know it sounds awkward, but eating it just by squeezing it and eating it like a sandwich really works. Try it - it is really good!!

Yummmmm! What a great idea! I'd never have thought of using a pepper...kind of like "cold stuffed peppers". My family is going to love this, especially the college student who is ALWAYS trying to figure out what "finger food" to take for lunch. My family really misses sandwiches but doesn't want the grain from gluten free bread.

Great idea!!