Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Dough! Domino's Makes Gluten-Free Crust, But it's Not Safe for Celiacs - Opposing Views

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,268 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Dough! Domino's Makes Gluten-Free Crust, But it's Not Safe for Celiacs
Opposing Views
If you're among the millions of Americans with celiac disease, you might be excited by this news – but be cautious. The pizza chain itself says that the new pizza isn't meant for those with an allergy to gluten. According to Everyday Health, ...
NFCA suspends gluten-free designation after Domino's backlash Pizza Marketplace.com
Food News Round-Up: Tax Diss Epicurious (blog)

all 2 news articles »

View the full article
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Domino's Pizza which they are calling "gluten free," is not really gluten free because only the crust is, the toppings will be cross contaminated from the other's Domino's ingredients, and the work space and utensils used on them.

That is all you need to know.

#3 SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

I heard about it too looking at their menu.

Has anyone here tried it yet?
Wheat and gluten tolerant until Dec 2012...
causing pain afterwards...
Gluten-free Feb to Mar 2012.
Endoscopy, pillcam, biopsies, Celiac profile, NEGATIVE.
Elimination diet isolated to gluten thus far Sep 2012.

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Not with the warnings about contamination, No way, no how.

richard

#5 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

I tried it once, because it came out around the same time I went gluten-free and wasn't yet well educated. It didn't taste that great, was really expensive, and it gave me diarrhea for three days. Big mistake!

#6 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

I had another celiac tell me she tolerates it just fine do I did order one this weekend for my daughter. I did ask for a manager and told him I wanted him to make it and make sure the screen was clean. He did tell me about same oven, etc but would be extra careful. They do not make their own dough so there isn't flour being thrown up I'm the air. My dd did fine. I honestly hear so many people talking about Mellow Mushroom because they are so safe. The lady I know said it makes her sick but Dominos does not. I say all that to say my dd said it wasn't that great and wouldn't even eat the leftovers. Haha

#7 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Had one last night. It was fantastic. Crust was thin and very crispy, real pizza crusty. Extremely tasty. Just like real pizza. Absolutely no gluten free hideously tasting bread flavor like all the frozen gluten-free pizzas I've had.

Didn't have any reactions. I've eaten hot wings from pizza places before. And Subway gluten-free subs. Talked to the Dominos employee. He said they are careful when making them. Yes I'm well aware of the potential for cc. And their disclaimers about not being suitable for Celiac Diseasers. Pretty smart on their part. Eat it, get sick, or think you did, can't sue. Sure hope this is copied by other companies. No gluten-free ingredients. Employee training on minimizing cc. Still, big chance of cc. Let the gluten-free eater beware. But, your choice. Goes without saying, super sensitive, physically or pycologically, don't bother. For myself, I've decided I'm as close to a "normal" Celiac as there is. Not super sensitive, but have gotten real sick accidentally a few times.   

Decided to risk it. Was successful. For one glorious night I ate real pizza!

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: