Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

B12

4 posts in this topic

I know that B12 must be given intra-muscularly. But should the needle be one inch, and the gauge 23? Is that the ideal? What's the ideal for lean people? Plump people? Obese people?

I have been using a short needle and was just corrected by the pharmacist today. He said I have basically been giving myself subcutaneous B12 shots, which of course is not bad, but as he explained it to me, it will mean that the B12 leaves my system in a shorter period of time, say one week, as opposed to a shot given intramuscuarly. That was a big disappointment to hear, but lesson learned. Ok.

I explained to him and previous pharmacists (who did not do nearly as good a job explaining it to me as today's pharmacist) that though I had a larger needle, it would not suck the B12 liquid out at all. (That's why I reverted to my shorter needle which did.) He said that's because it (long needle) was the wrong gauge.

I am lean but unfortunately not nearly as lean as I used to be and about to fall into the 'non-lean' group.

Plumbago

Ads by Google:

I'm sorry, I had to giggle.

Do you know how many lancets and strips I wasted trying to learn how to properly stick my finger for glucose testing?

Omg, I had blood everywhere and that damn meter still wouldn't read the sample. Finally, got the hang of it but wasted half the pack of lancets that were supposed to last a full week.

Why in the world didn't your doctor tell you how you needed to do the injections? Head back to his office and see either the doctor or a nurse and demand that they write on the needle script the size needed and show you how to self inject if there is some reason you can't do the sublingual tablets.

my doctor prescribes the vile and syringes, I thought that was how it was typically handled. I had trouble drawing up the vile myself also and now the pharmacist just does it for me. It seems odd that you have to figure this out on your own, definitely go back into your doctor and figure out exactly what is expected!