3 replies to this topic

#1 Caz951

Caz951

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hello, I have recently been told I could be celiac as severely anemic & carry the gene. They cant do gastro biopsy as im 6 weeks pregnant so don't want to put me under for it. I have decided to eat gluten free just incase as I dont want to not be absorbing vital nutrients for the baby. Im taking, iron, pregnancy supplement & calcium. Is there any advice on what else I should be doing/not doing? It has saddened me to hear of a lot of mis-carraiges & still births among celiacs so I really want to ensure Im doing everything possible for a healthy baby. Thanks very much!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Did you have any Celiac antibody blood work done? Was any of it positive?

Most Celiacs need a comprehensive vitamin levels test: b's, D's, full iron panel, cal/mag, and k.

If you are deficient you need additional supplamentation other than a prenatal multi - like you ate supplementing iron.

You also may want to have your thyroid checked - tsh and thyroid antibody levels.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Yes, please get your Vitamin D levels checked. My mother's celiac was triggered when she was five months pregnant with me....and I was born with Ricketts because she was Vitamin D deficient. Also, folic acid is very important when pregnant.

#4 Caz951

Caz951

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

Thank you for your prompt replies! They did antibody tests and they said they weren't suggesting a definite problem, also had thyroid and tsh and all was fine. I went in and specifically had a test to check my folic acid once I found out i was pregnant & that is ok too. I would now like to get my vit D tested as one of you suggested...I find this frustrating that I have to do my research and go back and ask for specific tests as they are not suggested. Anyway, thanks again & I will get on to the vit D. My first pregnancy was fine & resulted in a perfectly healthy child so I will do my best for this to be the same!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: