Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Possible Celiac, 6 Weeka Pregnant

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I have recently been told I could be celiac as severely anemic & carry the gene. They cant do gastro biopsy as im 6 weeks pregnant so don't want to put me under for it. I have decided to eat gluten free just incase as I dont want to not be absorbing vital nutrients for the baby. Im taking, iron, pregnancy supplement & calcium. Is there any advice on what else I should be doing/not doing? It has saddened me to hear of a lot of mis-carraiges & still births among celiacs so I really want to ensure Im doing everything possible for a healthy baby. Thanks very much!

Ads by Google:

Did you have any Celiac antibody blood work done? Was any of it positive?

Most Celiacs need a comprehensive vitamin levels test: b's, D's, full iron panel, cal/mag, and k.

If you are deficient you need additional supplamentation other than a prenatal multi - like you ate supplementing iron.

You also may want to have your thyroid checked - tsh and thyroid antibody levels.

Yes, please get your Vitamin D levels checked. My mother's celiac was triggered when she was five months pregnant with me....and I was born with Ricketts because she was Vitamin D deficient. Also, folic acid is very important when pregnant.

Thank you for your prompt replies! They did antibody tests and they said they weren't suggesting a definite problem, also had thyroid and tsh and all was fine. I went in and specifically had a test to check my folic acid once I found out i was pregnant & that is ok too. I would now like to get my vit D tested as one of you suggested...I find this frustrating that I have to do my research and go back and ask for specific tests as they are not suggested. Anyway, thanks again & I will get on to the vit D. My first pregnancy was fine & resulted in a perfectly healthy child so I will do my best for this to be the same!