#1 AmandaD

AmandaD

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hi guys,

I'm looking to find out if any of you are biopsy-diagnosed Celiacs who do Ironman or triathlons? I do and I wanted to just talk to someone about their nutrition during training.

Thanks - please write back!
AmandaD
Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

Well- I ASPIRE to be, does that help? I was running a lot (30-40 miles a week) until 2 yrs ago when major anemia sidelined me. (Thank you celiac.) Now that I am feeling better than ever I have just started running again, and am planning on a couple 1/2 marathons this summer. Just started the Paleo diet and am curious to see how my performance will benefit from it!

#3 RockChalkChic

RockChalkChic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

I have done several sprint tris and half marathons but none as a celiac yet - first one this summer is in 2 weeks. My standard pre-race is 1/2 pb sandwich (Udi's this round) and a 1/2 banana. I use Nuun tablets in my water during the bike and it appears they are gluten-free:

ARE NUUN BRANDED PRODUCTS GLUTEN-FREE?

Yes, both Nuun Active Hydration and U Natural Hydration contain only gluten-free ingredients. The wheat germ oil used in Nuun All Day is gluten-free. Nun All Day is currently undergoing testing to verify that the other ingredients are gluten-free as per FDA GUIDELINES.

Coconut water would be a good alternative to that though. I'm not big on carb loading, but this time around I may enjoy my homemade gluten-free mac n cheese the night before (Quinoa pasta). I eat lots of nuts and fruits/veggies in general, drink tons of water, and coconut water.

Any thoughts?
Negative blood panel
Biopsy "compatible" with celiac sprue
Gluten-free December 2011, with positive dietary response
1st degree relative also with positive dietary response

#4 AmandaD

AmandaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

i need to check ou the nuun stuff NOW! i have a swim event on Sunday. :)

I have done several sprint tris and half marathons but none as a celiac yet - first one this summer is in 2 weeks. My standard pre-race is 1/2 pb sandwich (Udi's this round) and a 1/2 banana. I use Nuun tablets in my water during the bike and it appears they are gluten-free:

ARE NUUN BRANDED PRODUCTS GLUTEN-FREE?

Yes, both Nuun Active Hydration and U Natural Hydration contain only gluten-free ingredients. The wheat germ oil used in Nuun All Day is gluten-free. Nun All Day is currently undergoing testing to verify that the other ingredients are gluten-free as per FDA GUIDELINES.

Coconut water would be a good alternative to that though. I'm not big on carb loading, but this time around I may enjoy my homemade gluten-free mac n cheese the night before (Quinoa pasta). I eat lots of nuts and fruits/veggies in general, drink tons of water, and coconut water.

Any thoughts?

Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

#5 RockChalkChic

RockChalkChic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

i need to check ou the nuun stuff NOW! i have a swim event on Sunday. :)

Open water or pool? Good luck! I would go to their website to see for yourself, only b/c I'm paranoid! :)
Negative blood panel

#6 LindsayS

LindsayS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:01 AM

I am guessing you have already done your open water event but I am a triathlete and have been gluten-free for a year and a half. I am not "diagnosed" celiac but mainly because I don't have faith in the medical community surrounding this topic and don't want to bother with it. Regardless, I train and complete gluten-free. I noticed a drastic change in my performance after becoming gluten-free. Definitely the main problem I come across is getting enough carbs. I usually notice immediately (especially in the water) if I haven't had enough. I always feel like I am swimming is syrup.
I am currently 3 months pregnant, so I am not training for any events. I still swim regularly though.

#7 jnnrr415

jnnrr415

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Good thread! I use Carbo-Pro for calories/carbs, which is a totally flavorless powder that you mix into your liquids. I also mix in some EFS powder which adds flavor and electrolytes. One scoop each in a bottle is 200 cals, and both totally dissolve. Just a note: I accidentally used Hammer electrolyte Fizz and after an hour I started feeling that gluten fog. It never occurred to me to read the label on an electrolyte bottle for gluten! I'm going to try NUUN tablets which are gluten free to replace the EFS just because I want to decrease my sugar intake.

Other gluten-free nutrition: pre-workouts I'll do almond butter, honey and banana on Rudi's cinnamon/raisin bread. I also started doing "overnight oats"... soak 1 cup gluten free oats with 1 cup almond milk, 2 scoops whey protein powder, raisins, a couple spoonfuls of yogurt, a dash of cinnamon, and honey to taste. Make it the night before and pop it in your fridge. Next morning, voila! Easy peasy.

For recovery, I love Ultragen cappuccino flavor post-workout. It tastes amazing and it's gluten-free.

#8 RockChalkChic

RockChalkChic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

Okay - two sprint tri's down for the summer. Despite my lack of training as compared to past years, I did okay and had a good recovery. In one of our schwag bags we got mini Luna bars and I was surprised to see it was gluten-free.

Is Luna Protien gluten free? www.lunabar.com
At the beginning of 2011 we started to transition the entire LUNA Protein line to be gluten free. To do this, Clif Bar & Company has looked at all aspects of making our bars. Our ingredient suppliers have confirmed that all ingredients are gluten free, so they contain no gluten from wheat, rye or barely. Where we make our food is capable of making a gluten free food and we test our finished products to confirm that they are gluten free.
As of March 2011, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cookie Dough, and Chocolate Cherry Almond transitioned to be gluten free, as well. You can tell if your LUNA Protein bar is gluten free by looking at the packaging.

I had the mini choc/raz Luna bar pre-race along with some coconut water in my water bottle on the bike. The first tri was hilly and WINDY but pretty. The second tri we were blessed with lovely weather so it was a nice quick ride. The lake was way down, so we were swimming in the weeds though.

Thanks for the tip on Ultragen ... where do you buy it?
Negative blood panel

#9 richgregory

richgregory

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

Hi I'm 3 months diagnosed Gluten intolerant and am 2 weeks out from my 2nd Ironman (first gluten-free). I have sought to become "fat adapted" and think that it is working, my run times have dropped drastically (about 45sec/km in 3 weeks).

I currently use a small amount of a product called 32GI endure (1 scoop in a 700ml bidon) over the course of a long ride and have a banana about 1 hour in then 20grams of honey per hour following. I have found this works for me and have tested it up to a 150km ride with a 5km run off the back.

2 weeks ago I tested the above minus banana in a half ironman and took 18min off my time from the previous year despite carrying a calf injury and had no problems where previously I would have had 2+ toilet stops. I had 3 scrambled eggs 2.5 hours before the race. 

Pre-workout I will have a FAT BLACK coffee, black coffee with 1 teaspoon butter and 1 tablespoon coconut oil. 

There are a growing number of gluten-free athletes getting around the triathlon scene including Luke McKenzie who came 2nd at KONA Ironman World Champs so it is definitely possible to race well and be gluten-free!

"Diagnosed" GI September 2013, self realisation of GI about 3 months before that but Doctors and Surgeons said a Family history of Gluten Intolerance had nothing to do with being rushed to hospital twice with upper gastric pain! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: