This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Beer Here!

bridgeofsighs

bridgeofsighs Apprentice

I was just shopping at Whole Foods and i stumbled upon a 'new to me' gluten-free beer.

Open Original Shared Link

I'm drinking one now and it is pretty tasty. Also a little bitter, but not too bitter. I'm starting to notice the sedative effects of the hops. This is the first i've noticed that effect since going gluten-free a year and a half ago. The other gluten-free beers out there haven't seemed very hoppy to me.

One more thing, who wouldn't drink this beer because its made with MALT?

Derek

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Derek

About every one with Celiac Disease.

kareng Grand Master

There has been a report that the tests used to test for barley gluten in beer doesn't work. They should use a different test. It's on here somewhere....

tom Contributor

I'm drinking one now and it is pretty tasty. Also a little bitter, but not too bitter. I'm starting to notice the sedative effects of the hops.

I don't think of hops as having a sedative effect. Pretty sure all the no-gluten-ingred gluten-free beers all have hops, don't they?

Maybe hordein fractions do that.

As prev said, most of us.

tom Contributor

There has been a report that the tests used to test for barley gluten in beer doesn't work. They should use a different test. It's on here somewhere....

Here's one, tho on second look it's not about the ELISA testing failing, but rather that better testing DOES find gluten in the "deglutened" beers - one even had more than some of the regular beers.

(I added what's in parens)

"Analysis of hordein deletion beers and commercially available beers confirmed that all the (regular) barley based beers tested contained hordeins, while no hordeins were detected in the (truly) gluten-free beers analyzed. Significantly both barley based low-gluten beers (the deglutened, like subject of thread) tested, in which the hordein concentration is reduced by proprietary processing steps during brewing to reduce the concentration in the final beer product, had substantial levels of one or more hordein proteins."

This study used mass spectrometry testing methods not commercially viable for manufacturing. Part of the point is that the ELISA testing used to claim ppm gluten-free doesn't work as well w/ barley. I've seen a separate study on that but don't have the link handy.

In addition, doesn't ELISA require whole proteins while at least some protein fractions are as harmful to a celiac as the whole? I'm not entirely clear on this.

IrishHeart Veteran

Hops are not sedative, according to my chemist hubs who has been brewing beer for 35 years.

Secondly, I would not drink that. :o

I read their statement (and how "their gluten intolerant friends" eagerly tested it and "took one for the team"--that probably means none of them are celiacs) but it did not satisfy me.

Seems unlikely their process is rendering that barley harmless to a celiac.

If you are suddenly having a "sedated feeling" from a gluten-free beer after drinking them for a year and a half, I have to wonder if it is truly gluten-free. One of my glutening symptoms is brain sluggishness. :unsure:

With all the decent gluten-free beers they make now, why risk it?

lpellegr Collaborator
In addition, doesn't ELISA require whole proteins while at least some protein fractions are as harmful to a celiac as the whole? I'm not entirely clear on this.

Since ELISA tests use antibodies against the protein of interest, you may or may not need whole protein depending on the particular antibody chosen and its antigen. So an ELISA could pick up a fragment of a protein if the test was designed with the proper antibodies to do so. Can't make a generalization, however. A gluten protein broken up into smaller pieces can indeed be just as harmful to a celiac as a whole protein, otherwise the act of digestion would render the gluten safe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 months later...
Lisa Mentor

About every one with Celiac Disease.

It should be clear, that NO ONE with Celiac Disease should drink a beverage listed with Malt. Please excuse my error/lack of proofing before hitting the post tab. B)

come dance with me Enthusiast

Not sure if it's sold everywhere, but O'Brien's beer is gluten free, and Coopers has a gluten free mix for homebrew. I don't make homebrew so not sure about the taste of the Coopers, but the O'brien's beer isn't too bad. It's a heavier beer than what I'm used to, I drink light or midstrength, but it tastes good. I wouldn't drive after drinking this beer though, not even after 1, it really hits. We're a long way off, my daughter is only 9 so has another 9 years before she can legally drink, but I want to test what's out there. A friend of mine got caught, she didn't make the connection between gluten and the scotch she was drinking, which of course is not gluten free so she now has to find a different type of drink and is not having much luck, she's very picky.

GFinDC Veteran

Redbridge is fairly widely available in the USA. Green's is available in higher end stores. Green's is a dark beer and kind of pricey. There are others, I think Estalla Damm Duara Isp)?) is one. Bard's Tale and New Grist also.

come dance with me Enthusiast

I'm in Queensland, Australia, and have only come across O'brien's at Dan Murpheys and Coopers homebrew one which is widely available if you are into homebrew. I don't have time for that myself though.

RonSchon Explorer

Did anybody click on his link?

I didn't see "Gluten Free" on any of the pages of the website. They all appear to be normal wheat/barley beers.

This disclaimer is on a beer they call "Prairie Path". The logo for the beer is a person standing in a wheat field.

Prairie Path Golden Ale is now Crafted to Remove Gluten.

Click for more information.

Government statement about barley based products that have been crafted to remove gluten: "Product fermented from grains containing gluten and [processed or treated or crafted] to remove gluten. The gluten content of this product cannot be verified, and this product may contain gluten."

kareng Grand Master

Here's the ATF (US Govt Agency for alcohol) ruling that beers made with barley cannot be labelled gluten-free. Page 5 is where the important stuff is

Archived