Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Constipation

11 posts in this topic

will this gluten free diet cause constipation ... OMG

Ads by Google:

In many people, gastro issues resolve after gluten is removed. The time frame depends on your own body and if you are completely gluten-free. Eating only whole foods at first is the best choice Imo.

is there any kind of gulten free laxative

is there any kind of gulten free laxative

Lots, although I can't provide specifics.

Sometimes, people aren't getting enough fiber. If your main source of fiber was whole wheat and you suddenly stop eating it, you may not get enough fiber. Or you may suddenly be eating more fiber than you used to. Sometimes it takes a while to get it sorted out.

More fiber for sure. I eat celery almost every day. I find magnesium helps also. I take a 400 mg mag oxide capsule in the morning and another in the evening.

Coonstipation should resolve, though maybe you aren't getting enough fibre like Kareng said?

To get more fibre, eat more fruits and brown rice. Dates, raisins, prunes, and other dried fruit helps too, although I wouldn't eat TOO much because there is a higher level of natural sugars.

Brown rice is fibre-rich, if you can tolerate it.

Dark chocolate helps too, if you can tolerate it. Plus it's healthy, as long as it's real dark chocolate an not sugared-up.

DRINK WATER!! Lack of hydration is the number 1 reason why people get backed up.

Start your day with 8-16 oz. of water every morning.

then, take 1 TBLSP. of ground flaxseed in 8 oz. of water.

eat more fiber rich foods: leafy greens, quinoa, brown rice, dried cranberries and gluten-free oats (if tolerated).

and take a Probiotic to balance your gut.

Celiac guts need the "good guys" :)

If that does not work, have your thyroid checked. Hypothyroidism causes constipation.

thanks didnt know about the mag capsules and was thinking about flax seed

Chia seeds have been very helpful to me. Also, water works miracles. I have tried to drink at least 80 oz of water a day since I read that you should drink half your body weight. 160 - 80 oz of water.

Water is very helpful indeed. People think "eat More fiber, eat more fiber!" but if there is no water to absorb it and MOVE it along...now, you've just got a gut full of fiber.

How does that help? :blink: