10 replies to this topic

#1 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Tonight I was going to order a burger without the bun...until we noticed a gluten free bun option on the menu!! I was shocked. The waitress asked me if I had an allergy and I said yes, so she put a special allergy alert on my order. She told me they use gloves and cook the fries and burger in a separate area. I was actually in tears. This was the first "real" burger I've had in over a year. We live in California...I hope there are other Red Robin restaurants in other states so gluten-free people can enjoy! They just started doing gluten-free about 3 months ago. I now have a place I can go to for a great burger...it was really good.
I plan on writing a letter to the company...I am so glad more awareness is out there!!
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RVluvin

RVluvin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

Good to hear. How was the bun? Udi's bread is the best I have found, but it does not work very well as a hamburger bun, and Udi's hamburger buns SUCK!

#3 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

The bun was great! I was surprised. I don't usually like the gluten-free bread so I have never bought gluten-free buns to make my own burgers. usually I order them at In and Out Burger with the lettuce. This was really good. They use gloves and take precautions to cook the burgers and fries separately.

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

HOORAY!!!!!! Small strides forward add up.Posted Image

Off to google Red Robin & see if there are any in my state.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Red Robin and Chipotle are the only 2 places my gluten-free, DF, EF, PN and TN free kids have eaten. RR is very allergy aware!

#6 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

We eat there probably more than we should due to that bun! My waitress always would put down "no salt" on my daughter's fry order. I questioned that and told her that celiacs could have salt. She said, "The reg. fries are fried with something else (maybe onion rings??) and the "no salt" fries are fried in a seperate fryer. I think it is just standard that they do that when you order the gluten free bun. But you might want to ask your server just to make sure! We just add salt at the table. And btw- their awesome homemade ranch dressing is NOT gluten free. Bummer. And I, too, have filled out surveys thanking them for that menu. (Their gluten free menu is very extensive)

#7 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

Nice to know there is hope, but I just checked and our local Red Robin isn't doing gluten-free buns yet. But they ARE making it easy to know how to order from the menu in order to be safe.

So glad awareness is growing!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#8 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

Nice to know there is hope, but I just checked and our local Red Robin isn't doing gluten-free buns yet. But they ARE making it easy to know how to order from the menu in order to be safe.

So glad awareness is growing!

Ours didn't advertise them on the menu until recently when they got new menus. They had them but you had to ask for them. Did you call or just look on the menu?

#9 MikeOhio

MikeOhio

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Good for California. Please help me move to California or some place with a Red Robin's lol j/k

#10 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:24 AM

I live in Connecticut and ate there from their gluten free menu quite often back in 2010. Never got sick from them. But it's far away from me so I choose 5 guys now. But anyone who lives in Ct, we've got plenty of Red robins!:)

#11 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

We just happened to go there. I had no idea they had a gluten-free menu until my step-daughter pointed out the gluten-free bun option. I was so glad she saw it. The waitress said the fries are gluten-free too, and they cook everything separately with gloves. My stomach was fine after the meal. So nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: