6 replies to this topic

#1 Teffer

Teffer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

My oldest son is now 6, and was d'xed with a wheat and gluten allergy through the ELISA test and Celiac through suggestive blood test by an environmental doctor. We declined a biopsy because he was very young at the time and started him on a gluten free diet (he's also dairy free). His symptoms were both physical (weight loss, sudden onset bedwetting, constipation/diarrhea, low ferritin and magnesium by blood test) and behavioral (ADHD symptoms, forgetting skills and memorized things like spelling of name, etc.), and they all came about after we all got H1N1 and a dose of Tamiflu. The environmental doctor believed this was the trigger for the Celiac and told us to put him on a gluten-free diet and his body would heal. It's been nearly 3 years, and every minute contamination of gluten brings on every symptom in full force. I feel as though we're constantly preventing and making no strides forward in helping his body heal.

So far, during the 3 week period following exposure, we're doing epsom salt baths to help with magnesium and probiotics to help with the gut, but I have no idea where to go from here. He's fully vaccinated at this point, but has gotten NO antibiotics (other than a whopping huge dose during my labor and his delivery) or any other sort of pharmaceutical since the h1n1. We use organic products on face and body, and homeopathics ONLY. All of my children are also completely food dye free. I'd love to hear even disparate ideas about healing his gut.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mom2J112903

Mom2J112903

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

If he is a Celiac, he will always be a Celiac and always react to gluten. Celiac disease is life long, there is no cure minus staying away from gluten.
Crystal, Stay-at-home and homeschooling Momma to a one and only little warrior man with numerous GI disorders which have lead to Elecare Jr via g-tube as soul nutrition.

#3 Teffer

Teffer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

I know that there is no cure for Celiac, but I have read in numerous places that it is possible to heal the gut and help reduce symptoms. He is what this forum would call super sensitive, and despite our best efforts, very often sick or symptomatic. He's only 6, and I have every hope that we can do something to heal the damage.

#4 deb445

deb445

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

I find that colloidal silver and Nordic Naturals Omegas help my boys when they've
been struck down. We too, have turned to homeopathics and consume organics when at
all possible. We are a gluten and dairy free household, and have seen dramatic
improvements with all the aforementioned changes in our lifestyle. Boy, was life
different before!

Gluten free for 5 years. Dairy free for years, but now OK with grassfed dairy.

Grain free for 2 years and now pain free.

A dedicated kitchen, a new passion for whole foods, Paleo inspiration

BLACK SEED and MSM has made a world of difference.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain..." ~unknown

#5 Mom2J112903

Mom2J112903

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

You will be able to heal the damaged Celia but upon injestion of gluten, the symptoms will return.
Crystal, Stay-at-home and homeschooling Momma to a one and only little warrior man with numerous GI disorders which have lead to Elecare Jr via g-tube as soul nutrition.

#6 SPJ&E

SPJ&E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

You could also try a probiotic, which helps with all kinds of tummy issues. Culturelle for Kids is dairy and gluten free (and also has no wheat, dyes, flavorings, or preservatives). It comes in powder packets that you empty into a drink. For the baby, we just empty it into a bottle. For the big boys, just put in in a bit of watered down juice.

#7 zsweetgirl

zsweetgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

We've been doing the paleo diet and it seems to be helping. There are also enzymes you can take if you are in a position where you might get some cross contamination. I've used them and they help with the symptoms. You take them 30-40 minutes before you eat. I use them whenever we have company, eat at a restaurant or at a friends house. The enzyme is DPPIV. I know you know this, but with Celiac even cross contamination is dangerous for your child. So the enzyme should be used for those just in case situations, but never to intentionally eat gluten. Homeopathy should also be able to help with the symptoms. I took the celiac nosode and that helped me a lot too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: