This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitamin D Deficiency

christianmom247

christianmom247 Explorer

What would you guys recommend as the best way for a celiac to increase their intake of Vitamin D? My blood test showed I have a Vitamin D deficiency, even though I have been taking a multivitamin daily with 1000IU (250% daily value) and was drinking 3-4 glasses of milk before my diagnosis. I assume that means that my body isn't able to absorb the vitamin in pill form, and perhaps I need a liquid version or something? My doctor knows even less than I do about this, so I need to know what to push for when I call him back. Thank you so much for you willingness to share your hard-earned expertise! :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

The amount of supplementation for deficiencies depends on how deficient you are.

What was your level?

A doctor should know how much to suggest to you, so honestly, I am surprised he does not know.

If you are very low, some suggest anywhere from 2000- 5000 ius a day and repeat the test in 3 months to see if the level has come up. I took over a year to see improvement in mine. I took 4000 IUs a day--under a doctor's supervision.

But you really should know what baseline you are starting with.

mushroom Proficient

Make sure you are taking D3, not D2. And 1000 per day is not very much. The recommended 400 is a nonsense. People who are really deficient need a loading dose of 5000/day for a few weeks, then every week, to get their levels back up.

love2travel Mentor

After bloodwork, my doctor started me on 5000 (D3) iu per day. It took nearly a year for my values to increase a little. I am now taking 4000 per day and my doctor is closely monitoring me. But then I have chronic pain which is a factor as well. Every body is different.

This is something your doctor should know and help you with.

ldymistic Newbie

ya know if you want some free vit D, just lay in the sun. :)

frieze Community Regular

Yup, this IS the way nature intended you to get Vit D. Go out in the mid day sun, 10 min. to a side (lol) and come back in. you DO NOT want to get a tan! that reduces the amount of Vit D made! If you are very fair, you may need to do less, and if darker, more. good luck

love2travel Mentor

I have fair skin and cannot lie in the sun; however, I spend time outside, go for walks and so on and do get Vitamin D the natural way. But for me it is not enough - my values are still too low. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Yes, it is true that it does provide some Vitamin D for maintaining adequate D levels.

People with severely tanked levels from long term malabsorption (as mine were) are not going to get their levels up quickly enough to stop serious symptoms by just laying out in the sun. Some of us can't even lie or sit down comfortably for long because we have bone/muscle pain that prohibits that. And some folks just cannot tolerate that much direct sun.

kwylee Apprentice

I think that CONTROLLED sun exposure is a great source of Vit D and the best in my opinion, but I've read that the time needed to reap any benefit is dependent on your place in relationship to the equator. I ran across this website that may shed some light on it, you'll just need to know your latitude and longitude (pretty easily attainable online these days).

Open Original Shared Link

I live in the south U.S. so sun is pretty strong and plentiful here, but I still augment with D3 and from time to time, even a Vit D lamp I purchased awhile back when my Vit D levels dipped to almost non-existent. (I haven't exactly been a sun bunny since my 30's).

Now my Vit D levels hover around the 45 mark having used all 3 sources for the past few years. As I understand it, the D3 is not water soluble, and can build up in your system so you need to be retested periodically, but the sun source will just stop absorbing if not needed by the body, so you can't overdose that particular way.

IrishHeart Veteran

I ran across this website that may shed some light on it,

..... the D3 is not water soluble, and can build up in your system so you need to be retested periodically,

Nice pun, kwylee B)

and

absolutely agree---on the re-testing!

Also, those of us in the NE states--less sunny here, sadly----and LOVETOTRAVEL--well, she is still in winter up there, I think! :P

LOVEY? well, did the snow melt yet???

kwylee Apprentice

Nice pun, kwylee B)

haha I didn't even realize I made a pun!!! Gosh, I'm such a robot sometimes!

And also, all this natural sun exposure is supposed to be WITHOUT sunscreen, which makes me nervous, and even more important to control your time in the sun carefully, and in the smallest doses possible. I guess it's that ozone layer thing.

love2travel Mentor

Yes, it is true that it does provide some Vitamin D for maintaining adequate D levels.

People with severely tanked levels from long term malabsorption (as mine were) are not going to get their levels up quickly enough to stop serious symptoms by just laying out in the sun. Some of us can't even lie or sit down comfortably for long because we have bone/muscle pain that prohibits that. And some folks just cannot tolerate that much direct sun.

I agree wholeheartedly. Like you, my D3 levels were extremely low. Just spent time in Croatia/Italy and was in the sun a fair amount (not sunbathing - I detest that) but just walking and doing things. Not that using sunscreen and wearing a hat would contribute to D. I mean VITAMIN D.

By the way, our snow has melted ( :P ) and most trees have their leaves. Some stragglers still haven't had them pop out yet. I just planted my vegetable seeds in the raised beds yesterday!

We get far less sun here than most; thankfully our summers, though very short, boast long and sunny days. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I just planted my vegetable seeds in the raised beds yesterday!

Good for you, girl! ;) Our toms and herbs are in as of yesterday.

and it was (weirdly) 93 yesterday, so yes, this girl got some D too (vitamin D that is) :D

love2travel Mentor

Good for you, girl! ;) Our toms and herbs are in as of yesterday.

and it was (weirdly) 93 yesterday, so yes, this girl got some D too (vitamin D that is) :D

Really? Just yesterday? Whew - it's not just me! :P

IrishHeart Veteran

Really? Just yesterday? Whew - it's not just me! :P

we've had a slow start this year... :lol:

love2travel Mentor

we've had a slow start this year... :lol:

And here I thought everyone outside the prairie provinces were already eating their own produce. In Croatia we enjoyed freshly-dug potatoes, peas, cherries, zucchini blossoms, green beans and so on. It was wonderful!

mushroom Proficient

Sun exposure in the southern latitudes under the ozone hole is not recommended for a gal of Irish extraction who has already had basal cell, squamous cell, and malignant (is there any other kind) melanoma. I get my D from supplements, thanks. :P

And I just planted my herbs for the bunnie who roams our patio :rolleyes: (in northern latitude)

IrishHeart Veteran

And I just planted my herbs for the bunnie who roams our patio :rolleyes: (in northern latitude)

This bunny-lover thinks you're very sweet to feed them :)

The ones on our property know better than to eat anything I plant.

mushroom Proficient

This bunny-lover thinks you're very sweet to feed them :)

The ones on our property know better than to eat anything I plant.

Sweet be damned!!! I'd like to wring the little varmint's neck and throw him in the sautee pan :lol: Bunnies are only good when they eat other peoples' stuff. And here I was happy to get away from the squirels who always found a way to get to my basil.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'd like to wring the little varmint's neck and throw him in the sautee pan :lol:

GASP!! :o and with a thud, IH fell to the floor, faint from the very thought........

woodnewt Rookie

What would you guys recommend as the best way for a celiac to increase their intake of Vitamin D? My blood test showed I have a Vitamin D deficiency, even though I have been taking a multivitamin daily with 1000IU

I had a vitamin D deficiency (<20) despite living near the equator and getting adequate daily sun exposure. I take vitamin D3 drops x1 a day at a dose of 2000 IU. My D3 elevated to normal levels after about 6 months. This is the only thing that has worked for me.

Roda Rising Star

I've been on prescription vitamin D(50,000 iu/gel cap)once weekly since Jan. 2009. My levels are monitored every 3-4 months.

Archived