#16 CanineGluten

CanineGluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

I could get tested for celiac.

Eating once a day, or having a feeding window.. isnt an idea I made up.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

Eating once a day, or having a feeding window.. isnt an idea I made up.

It isn't a good idea, no matter who made it up.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Personally (IMHO-ing here) I don't see anything wrong with eating just once a day myself. As long as you are eating healthy foods for your body, and not a bunch of junk or gluten. But eating only once a day will not cure celiac or prevent gluten from harming you. The immune system is more like an elephant than a mouse, it will remember what you ate for a couple weeks. So a 24 hour break is not going to "fix: things if that's what your are thinking. The immune cells don't just go "poof" and disappear once the gluten is out of the body. Sorry if I am misunderstanding or twisting your meaning. I like to give my digestive system a break sometimes also, and eating just once a day sometimes is one way I do that. If I was to do that regularly I would eat only in the morning or at lunch. It is probably better for your blood sugar to eat during the day than at night. For some people not eating 3 meals a day is a problem, for others it works fine. We are all individuals and not exactly the same. If we were you all could borrow my clothes and wear them fine. But why you would want to borrow some worn out size 12 sneakers and grubby jeans and a tee I don't know. :D
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#19 CanineGluten

CanineGluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

ive been IFing. for very long time.

even muhammad says to eat one meal every other day.

you guys really are stepping outta your territory to come over and say all this stuff how its dumb and yadd yadda. when youve never heard it, researched it, etc etc.

you eat your 5 meals a day. eating is just self medication. a ritualized drug. gluten free or not.

#20 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

you guys really are stepping outta your territory to come over and say all this stuff how its dumb and yadd yadda. when youve never heard it, researched it, etc etc.

you eat your 5 meals a day. eating is just self medication. a ritualized drug. gluten free or not.

We have tried to explain to you that, for a Celiac, eating a gluten meal and fasting is not healthy. It does not undo the damage from the gluten. As this is a Celiac forum, we are discussing this from the Celiac perspective. You are welcome to ask questions and discuss various aspects of Celiac disease.

With so many things on the Internet these days, I'm sure you can find a forum to discuss fasting options and the evils of eating.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

One thing I do remember is that eating gluten just made me want more gluten. Like somehow my body craves the thing that is worst for it. Any time I ate bread, pasta, donuts, it seemed like I could not get enough --never felt full until I was literally stuffed full.
And diahhrea was a daily thing, every morning without fail.

You need to get gluten free and stay that way to feel good all the time.
Who wants to feel sick at all!

Some of us have been very lucky in that we have not experienced severe illness due to our celiac disease. Very lucky.
I am greatful that I was never so very sick as some of the folks on this forum have been. All my sympathy to those who have suffered and been hospitalized.

What you need to take to heart, CanineGluten, is that you feel terrific when you are gluten free. Why not feel terrific all the time and just give up the things that make you feel bad or make you anti-social. It is for the best!
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

I have one question for you.
If you are not a celiac, and are not interested in anything we have to say to help you, which is what we do on here (and since you certainly do not know that newly-diagnosed celiacs are too malnourished and weak to fast)

then:

Why are you on this site then?

No one said fasting is "dumb", we said it is inappropriate and unhealthy for celiacs who are malnourished or people with blood sugar problems.

In OUR case, gluten free food is nourishing and our "medication".

I think you misunderstand what's being said to you.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#23 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

What they're trying to tell you is that it doesn't matter if you're eating just once or a gazillion times a day. The problem isn't how many times you eat, but what you eat. If any meal you consume contains gluten, and you do have celiac, it will cause damage to your body.

Just a pointer though in case you decide to cut all gluten from your diet. If your dogs eat dry dog food, make sure to check the ingredients, since most brands contain wheat and have been a problem for some of us here.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#24 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Just a pointer though in case you decide to cut all gluten from your diet. If your dogs eat dry dog food, make sure to check the ingredients, since most brands contain wheat and have been a problem for some of us here.

I would revise that to say that many cheap brands contain wheat. In higher end foods you are more likely to see rice. Pearled barley does appear in some top tier brands, and oats are sometimes included. Read the ingredients. The most common wheat source in dog products is in biscuits, not food. There are many wheat-free biscuits available, but they will cost a lot more than a MilkBone.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#25 Oscar

Oscar

Grouch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

Why are you on this site then?

Yeah, why are you even here? You say you don't have celiac disease; you don't eat gluten-free; you don't want to hear any of the advice offered. This is a support site for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance. Your fasting agenda, even if it is approved by Muhammad, does not have any relevance to us.
"The three-martini lunch is the epitome of American efficiency. Where else can you get an earful, a bellyful and a snootful at the same time?" ~ Gerald R. Ford

Posted Image

#26 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

I could get tested for celiac.

Eating once a day, or having a feeding window.. isn't an idea I made up.

Hi CG,

If you decide to get tested, it is important that you continue eating a regular gluten diet until the testing is completed. There is no "perfect" test for celiac disease right now, but the best chance of detecting the antibodies is before starting the gluten-free diet. Even then it is hit or miss. Ask your doctor to do the full celiac antibody panel. There are several different kinds of antibodies they test for. Some doctors will want to do an endoscopy also and take 5 or more biopsy samples to check them under a microscope. They are looking for damage to the villi that line the small intestine. Some doctors will diagnose on the blood antibodies only, without the endoscopy. You also have the option of going gluten-free without testing. There is no law saying you have to get an official diagnosis to eat gluten free foods. Many people on this forum have done just that, after years of misdiagnosis by doctors.

If you have symptoms, especially digestive symptoms, going gluten-free may help clear them up. Even if you are not celiac, some people react to gluten and have what is called NCGI (non-celiac gluten intolerance). There are no medical tests for NCGI though, we have to figure it out for ourselves. I suggest you write down your symptoms, and how you feel each day before going gluten-free and afterwards. Sometimes people have symptoms like joint pain or muscle aches, etc. etc. that resolve after going gluten-free, and they didn't think they were anything to do with gluten. You already know that gluten makes you anti-social, and it did that to me also. The thing is, gluten can affect the whole body, not just the gut. One condition it causes is called "gluten ataxia" which affects the brain and makes it difficult for people to walk etc. It is serious stuff having a gluten problem, and you can develop many problems including additional auto-immune disease if you continue to eat gluten. The current thinking is that around 30% of people in the USA that carry at least one of the genes for celiac disease. And it is widespread in other countries too.

I don't remember if I posted these thread links for you earlier or not. But anyway , these may be helpful for you to review.

Again, I don't see any problem with eating once a day myself. It just won't fix celiac disease is all.

FAQ Celiac com
http://www.celiac.co...uestions-about-celiac-disease/

Celiac Newbie Info 101
http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?
http://www.celiac.co...-for-breakfast-
today/page__pid__726053__st__180#entry726053

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?
http://www.celiac.co...or-lunch-today/

What Are You Cooking Tonight?
http://www.celiac.co...ooking-tonight/
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#27 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:28 AM

I would revise that to say that many cheap brands contain wheat. In higher end foods you are more likely to see rice. Pearled barley does appear in some top tier brands, and oats are sometimes included. Read the ingredients. The most common wheat source in dog products is in biscuits, not food. There are many wheat-free biscuits available, but they will cost a lot more than a MilkBone.

Thanks for the correction :-) All bunny pellets contain gluten except for Zoopreem (sp?) regardless of their price-range, which is why I thought it would be the same for dog food.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#28 CanineGluten

CanineGluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Im here because Im here.

I have no problems except when someone steps up to say IFing is wrong.

Scuse me? lol..

#29 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

I don't think anyone is saying it's wrong, just wrong for some people. Diabetics should never skip meals, people who take meds that require food should never skip meals, people on thyroid meds shouldn't skip meals...

I'm confused though, are you saying that eating gluten light works for you, as long as you fast after eating gluten? Or do you always feel poorly after gluten, and fasting helps the symptoms pass more quickly?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#30 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Im here because Im here.

That "answer" is not an answer at all.

I have no problems except when someone steps up to say IFing is wrong.

Oh, so if I understand that, your purpose here is to advance your own personal agenda, even though it is in conflict with the purpose this board--helping celiacs heal. Good to know.
Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: