This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms Are Back

LilleesMom

LilleesMom Newbie

After being Gluten free for over a month now I thought that my daugther has been symptom free. All of a sudden she started vomiting today. She is only 8 months old only eats gluten thru my breast milk. I did notice the rash start to appear about two days ago but because it was in a different location this time I was hoping that it was not the Celiac. I need some advice and someone to tell me it will be ok. I feel like this is all my fault and I can't fix it. She is still smaller than she was 3 months ago when this all began. Any advice and support we will gladly accept.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

deb445 Rookie

After being Gluten free for over a month now I thought that my daugther has been symptom free. All of a sudden she started vomiting today. She is only 8 months old only eats gluten thru my breast milk. I did notice the rash start to appear about two days ago

My youngest (who spurred the whole gluten/dairy free diet in our family) had many symptoms that led me to try the elimination diet when breastfeeding (I bf until he was 2 yrs). Whenever I slipped up, he would pay the price with vomiting, constipation or the opposite, writhing in pain, and rashes that turned into open sores in any given location - head to toe. You've brought back memories that bring tears to my eyes. I was very hard on myself and it's been a long healing journey - not just the healing of our gluten sensitive bodies, but our spirit too. It was only after being glutenfree myself (for him), that I discovered that I had a big problem too. My bit of advice is to recognize and accept that living with a gluten sensitivity is sometimes trial and error. And I reassure myself that these accidental incidences of exposure are less harmful than going a lifetime without recognizing the damage that could have been incurred on a daily basis. My children and I still get exposed to gluten accidentally...we make it through together. You will too.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Did you recently add something new to your diet? Get cc'ed at a restaurant?

LilleesMom Newbie

I can't think of anything new and because she was symptom free for so long (1 month) I stopped journaling everything I ate. She did get her immunizations but they told me that there wasn't gluten in them. My oldest still eats gluten along with my husband and they wash their hands and brush their teeth before they touch her but I was wondering if trace amounts of gluten can cause such a severe reaction. I am so glad to have people to talk to. This is the scariest thing I have ever had to deal with because its my baby:(.

LilleesMom Newbie

Did you recently add something new to your diet? Get cc'ed at a restaurant?

I never eat out now. I live in a small town that I know doesn't provide gluten free preparation of food. I did get a coke at Sonic one day. I do worry about the cross contamination with her at daycare but they have assured me that they are careful. I feel like its something at home that I'm missing.

deb445 Rookie

I can't think of anything new and because she was symptom free for so long (1 month) I stopped journaling everything I ate. She did get her immunizations but they told me that there wasn't gluten in them.

My boys have also had food sensitivities beyond wheat & dairy - it made my food journaling experience such a frustrating one! I became fanatic about everything I ingested. At one point I was only eating "Free From..." chicken, organic rice and broccoli. Finally, we broke down and saw a NAET practitioner, and started getting answers. Root cause. Their allergies have been eliminated thanks to NAET, but dairy and wheat linger.

I used (and still do...) arnica ointment and calendula ointment (Boiron) on rashes - they reacted to everything else. I would literally hear a sigh escape when I put the ointment on them.

I could go on a rant about immunizations - but I'll save that for another day, when I'm feeling brave enough to take the flack.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

My oldest still eats gluten along with my husband and they wash their hands and brush their teeth before they touch her but I was wondering if trace amounts of gluten can cause such a severe reaction.

That would depend her level of sensitivity. It varies greatly. In our household, my son and I kept getting sick until my husband and daughter also went gluten free. We tried everything in terms of being careful with their gluten. My son and I are sensitive to extremely low levels. From what I have read, it isn't uncommon for a gluten free household to be necessary.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sesara Rookie

I can't help but be wary about a daycare that is not gluten-free, no matter how careful they claim to be. If there are other kids eating non-gluten-free foods, there is always the risk of contamination, and a few crumbs on the floor are all it takes for a kiddo the age of yours. Just something to consider.

Roda Rising Star

Are you gluten free also? She could be reacting to gluten in your diet as well. The other posters gave you some very helpful information also to consider. Hoe your little one feels better soon.

LilleesMom Newbie

Are you gluten free also? She could be reacting to gluten in your diet as well. The other posters gave you some very helpful information also to consider. Hoe your little one feels better soon.

Yes I am gluten because I am nursing. We are planning on having a gluten free household soon but we can't afford to throw away what we already had prior to the diagnosis. Thank you for the well wishes:)

Archived