26 replies to this topic

#16 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Well cougie, dh presents in many ways, many manifestations during different stages. Just read the "sticky" or "pinned" at the top of the dh forum. I think you will be amazed.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

If I had any doubt in my mind, I sure don't now. That looks exactly like what hubby and youngest kid has. In fact, the kid asked why I put a pic of him online and when did I take it. :(
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#18 JaneWhoLovesRain

JaneWhoLovesRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

If I had any doubt in my mind, I sure don't now. That looks exactly like what hubby and youngest kid has. In fact, the kid asked why I put a pic of him online and when did I take it. :(

mom23boys - that makes me laugh. I don't know why all the doctors I see won't even consider me as having dh. Maybe I really don't have it or maybe they are just closed minded. One said it's definitley not dh because dh doesn't itch. (or maybe they are just stupid.)
Gluten free since 2010 when it was suggested that my vertigo/dizzy problems may be from gluten. Tested negative for DH in April of 2012. However I'm not convinced I don't have DH as pictures and description pretty much match what I have.
11/2012 tested positve for 1 of the 2 celiac genes

#19 JaneWhoLovesRain

JaneWhoLovesRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

:( Ok...So I'm looking at your pictures...thinking...hmmm...that looks familar! where have I seen that? maybe Hubby? He has mysterious rash problems...no...not hubby.THen I look over at my itchy arm...at the old scars and where I've been scratching again...and Damn!looks just like yours! !! So what you guys are saying is that THIS is what DH looks like!? I GUESS I HAVE IT TOO!!Great...I thought I was just itchy...from gluten...yeah...but not DH!wow...mark down yet Another symptom of celiac!

Oh Cougie, I'm not sure if that would call for a congratulations or not :huh: but it definitely calls for a "you poor girl."
Gluten free since 2010 when it was suggested that my vertigo/dizzy problems may be from gluten. Tested negative for DH in April of 2012. However I'm not convinced I don't have DH as pictures and description pretty much match what I have.

#20 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

mom23boys - that makes me laugh. I don't know why all the doctors I see won't even consider me as having dh. Maybe I really don't have it or maybe they are just closed minded. One said it's definitley not dh because dh doesn't itch. (or maybe they are just stupid.)

Really? My understanding was that the most significant factor in the description of dh was the unrelenting, untouchable itch. That's why so many people wind up with scars and scabs, not from the rash itself, from the scratching! I had to wear head to toe spandex under my clothes to keep myself from scratching my skin off.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#21 JaneWhoLovesRain

JaneWhoLovesRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Really? My understanding was that the most significant factor in the description of dh was the unrelenting, untouchable itch. That's why so many people wind up with scars and scabs, not from the rash itself, from the scratching! I had to wear head to toe spandex under my clothes to keep myself from scratching my skin off.

JNB - that's why I added the "or maybe they are stupid" at the end of my post. I was referring to the doctor who told me that who obviously doesn't know a thing about dh. Yes, it is a horrible unrelenting itching rash. The worst I have ever had. He told me I had scabies, because that itchs something awful, also. But I have nothing in the normal scabies spots and have had NO contact in any way that would give me scabies. To that he replied that I have an atypical case and one can get it shaking hands. :angry:
It itches, never heard of it not itching except from this one doctor.

#22 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Dr. Jackanapes.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#23 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Oh Cougie, I'm not sure if that would call for a congratulations or not :huh: but it definitely calls for a "you poor girl."

Thankyou...you too!
Note pics 1/4/5...that looks like what I have...especially after I've been scratching! Note the FRECKLES as well...and the small almost blood blister red cirles...I've been describing this for awhile! I get random little red pin pricks( like the red dots , only smaller. then they fade into freckles! usreally I have barely noticable little clear(skin colored) bumps...almost like acne only never any "head/pus" or nothing at all ...just insane itching...then I scratch myself to death...and my arms/shoulders/ back... look like the pictures! :unsure: :rolleyes: ...espeacialy if I eat gluten or soy....then my entire body itches insanely...eyeballs...ears...fingertips...all the way to my toes...its nuts! I even get hives inside my stomache and intestinal track...feels like bee stingers!Doc says its Hives! :blink: <_< :huh: ...ouch! :P
Lots of scars...freckles...and semi healed round sores like acne thats been picked at to much!LOL...or like the pics! :D
It never "looked" like a rash....so I never "THOUGHT" of it as one....just REALLY itchy skin! :blink: :lol:
Costantly cutting myself open and bleeding everywhere!Skin moltled looking...between freckle and old purplish scars!EEEEWWWWW! :rolleyes: :blink: :lol: Is this what you guys are going through?I never really thought of it as a rash...at least not what I have....and it doesn't look like the pics I've seen under DH.But then...one thing I've learned about CELIACS is everyone is different! They should call it the rainbow deisese...because we seem to get every symptom under the rainbow!!! LOL! :rolleyes: :lol: :P
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#24 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Dr. Jackanapes.

LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#25 theresa56

theresa56

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

I hope I'm posting this in the right way so that the links will work. I've had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to do this! If you can, please take a look at the links and let me what you think - do they look like dh?

http://i1172.photobu...ne/IMG_2435.jpg
http://i1172.photobu...ne/IMG_2344.jpg
http://i1172.photobu...ne/IMG_2444.jpg
http://i1172.photobu...ne/IMG_2449.jpg
http://i1172.photobu...ne/IMG_2601.jpg

Jane

Hi Jane,
This looks like what I had. I had it biopsied and it came back as contact dermatitis; but they took the biopsy in the wrong place.
A few weeks later, I went to my gastroenterologist; I have crohn's disease too. I was having a problem with feeling like food was getting stuck.
So they did an endoscopy and took a biopsy...came back as celiac disease, so that answered the question of the rash that I had for 5
months. There is a medication that will clear the dh; I was so desperate, I just wanted to be able to sleep at night without itching to death!
I take Dapsone for flares. Initially, I was put on a 10 day regiment of prednisone to clear the rash. I also read that iodine affects it, but I can't be without synthroid. I've talked with a few people with celiac and found that another common thing is hyatial hernia; which I also have. I didn't have any symptoms except the rash; but I take meds for crohn's; maybe this helped with the intestinal problems.
Hope this helps.
dx 2009 crohn's, dx 2011 celiac.
helped with that.

#26 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:08 AM

Welcome to the board Teresa!

And congratulations on getting a dx.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#27 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:35 AM

theresa56
Welcome to the forum!! You are one of our rare "diagnosed" DH celiacs. We'd would be incredibly indebted if you told us your 'celiac/DH' journey in detail... if you are willing of course.
Many if not most of us are officially undiagnosed so there is no, one, similar story that we share with new comers to our DH posts. Your story could be enlightening to others.

Di

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: