Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Heartburn After Eating Gluten Free Foods...

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 lesliev523

lesliev523

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

Since going gluten-free, I feel SO much better. But I have had two terrible heartburn experiences. I mean this was not mild heartburn, this was chest on fire MAKE IT GO AWAY hearburn! Both times were after I ate food labeled as "gluten free".

The first time was after trying a gluten-free pizza on special gluten-free crust.

This last time was after having a handful of gluten-free pretzels by Glutino. They were really good too.... but but worth the after burn.

What could be causing this? Any thoughts?
Gluten free since 4/17/12

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

This happens to me when I get glutened by cross contamination. It happens a day or so before the intestinal issues start. Either that or there is something else in the food that doesn't agree with you such as soy or corn etc.

#3 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

That happened to me two weekends ago. I could not figure out what caused it.
gluten-gree as of May 9, 2012

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Was that a take out pizza? Not all places that do gluten free pizza have pizza that is really gluten free due to all the cross contamination issues.
The Glutino pretzels would have gotten me because of the soy but I don't know if that is the case for you.
Pepto Bismal liquid usually puts the burn out really quick for me.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 lesliev523

lesliev523

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Was that a take out pizza? Not all places that do gluten free pizza have pizza that is really gluten free due to all the cross contamination issues.
The Glutino pretzels would have gotten me because of the soy but I don't know if that is the case for you.
Pepto Bismal liquid usually puts the burn out really quick for me.

It definitely could be cross contamination, because I am having issues keeping my kitchen area gluten free. I have two teenage boys that cook for themselves, and they aren't always the cleanest...

Thanks for the info!

#6 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Some of the gluten-free flours will do that to me. I have to be picky. I have to watch soy (which I know is in the pretzels) and bean flours.

Personally, I wouldn't automatically blame gluten for any problems. I was sicker with the gluten-free products than I ever have been with gluten (same for the others in our house). We have to be very careful which sub we choose which is another reason why I just make my own.
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#7 bisja

bisja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Since going gluten-free, I feel SO much better. But I have had two terrible heartburn experiences. I mean this was not mild heartburn, this was chest on fire MAKE IT GO AWAY hearburn! Both times were after I ate food labeled as "gluten free".

The first time was after trying a gluten-free pizza on special gluten-free crust.

This last time was after having a handful of gluten-free pretzels by Glutino. They were really good too.... but but worth the after burn.

What could be causing this? Any thoughts?

I get sick off of many gluten free products, I am very sensitive though, but I get that horrible heartburn too. Nothing seems to work to get rid of it for me till the whole experience runs its course. I am at the point of knowing I just need to make from scratch all my food.

#8 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

I get sick off of many gluten free products, I am very sensitive though, but I get that horrible heartburn too. Nothing seems to work to get rid of it for me till the whole experience runs its course. I am at the point of knowing I just need to make from scratch all my food.

Exact same for me!

#9 lesliev523

lesliev523

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

I am so glad that I am not the only one! I guess I will just have to stay away from gluten-free substitute food. And when it makes me as sick to my stomach as I was the last two time I tried it, I don't think it will be that hard.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: