24 replies to this topic

#1 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:23 AM

Would say a bowl of Cherrios every morning for say 3 months be enough? How much is enough to insure an accurate bloodtest?

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:11 AM

How big a bowl? How big a person?

For an adult, not at all. For a small child, an adult size bowl would be certainly enough, but a small child's bowl, maybe not (I'm not sure how big they really are). For an adult, the average recommendation is 2-3 slices of wheat bread a day for three months.

The other problem is using Cherrios. They are primarily oats, and the exposure requirements to show a positive may be different for oats, even if they are contaminated.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:21 AM

2-3 slices a day for 3 months is recommended as Tiffany said.
I would say do something other than Cheerios though because that is mainly oats and even though they are contaminated they may not have as much gluten in it as you would need.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:21 AM

How big a bowl?  How big a person?

For an adult, not at all.  For a small child, an adult size bowl would be certainly enough, but a small child's bowl, maybe not (I'm not sure how big they really are).  For an adult, the average recommendation is 2-3 slices of wheat bread a day for three months.

The other problem is using Cherrios.  They are primarily oats, and the exposure requirements to show a positive may be different for oats, even if they are contaminated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BAH!!!!!!!!!

THAT is what I was affaird you were gonna say. I am 5"11 and 170pounds, talking about 60grams ie 2 "severings".

*gets list out, and puts celiac disease back on it*

Thats about the only gluten I had regualrly up to the testing.

I ask cause well I had removed celiac disease from the list and was ready to move on down the list... but thought about the fact that I had pretty much dropped the grains group from my diet save for 1 bowl of Berrie Burst Cherrios in AM. Prbly enough ot make me feel like crap, but not enough to show in test. BAH!!!

- Vincent -

#5 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:23 AM

2-3 slices a day for 3 months is recommended as Tiffany said.
I would say do something other than Cheerios though because that is mainly oats and even though they are contaminated they may not have as much gluten in it as you would need.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BAH!!! Figures cheerios be bad choise, maybe I'll go back to Total Rasin Brand and start over

:( :( :(

BAH!!

- Vincent -

#6 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:29 AM

How would you convert 2-3 slices of bread to something like ceral? I dont like the idea of bread in my house, to crumbly. I like the idea of cearl since 5 days a week I eat breakfast at work, no chance of tolddler getting any. If he was older and knew to aviod it I be less concerned... but he not and he TEETHING (last 4 molars) so EVERYTHING gets in his mouth. No gluten in our house! To risky right now.

- Vincent -

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:47 AM

How would you convert 2-3 slices of bread to something like ceral? I dont like the idea of bread in my house, to crumbly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about a bowl of shredded wheat in the morning (or Raisin Bran :-) ), and a bagel during the day? Bagels aren't as crumbly or messy as bread, but good ones are made with plenty of gluten.
Bellevue, WA

#8 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

How about a bowl of shredded wheat in the morning (or Raisin Bran :-) ), and a bagel during the day?  Bagels aren't as crumbly or messy as bread, but good ones are made with plenty of gluten.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gotta be RASIN brand. Maybe a cinamon RASIN bagel... hmm I hate this, but since I have only negative blood work right now, not realy getting better, I gotta do it I guess. :( I need to be able to cross this off the list some how or prove it. If I cna prove it maybe I can be done being sick and getting tested constantly for new things...

- Vincent -

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

Why can't you just add raisins to the shredded wheat then?
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#10 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:43 PM

Why can't you just add raisins to the shredded wheat then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could and mabye for varity I will, but why shreaded wheat over rasinbran? The bran flaks are wheat, right?

- Vincent -

#11 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:23 PM

I used Kellog's varieties for this comparison, but I believe it hold true in general:
Raisin Bran has only half the protein that Shredded Wheat does. It's that protein that you want to load up on, so you want to maximize that. Heck, cream of wheat with wheat bran added would be even better, but not necessarily as tasty. :-)
Bellevue, WA

#12 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:25 PM

I used Kellog's varieties for this comparison, but I believe it hold true in general:
Raisin Bran has only half the protein that Shredded Wheat does.  It's that protein that you want to load up on, so you want to maximize that.  Heck, cream of wheat with wheat bran added would be even better, but not necessarily as tasty. :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Protein? Im confused.. gluten is not the same as protien... :blink: :huh:

- Vincent -

#13 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:28 PM

Protein? Im confused.. gluten is not the same as protien...  :blink:  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is! Gluten is the term for plant proteins. Gliandin is the particular gluten (or protein) that is in wheat that bothers celiacs.
Bellevue, WA

#14 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:37 PM

It is!  Gluten is the term for plant proteins.  Gliandin is the particular gluten (or protein) that is in wheat that bothers celiacs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh: :huh: Umm okay.. well after I eat this box of Krogers Raisn Bran... I'll get some kroger miniwheats.. and add rasins!!! :D :lol:

Hears what got me thinking about all this celiac disease junk agian... on Tuesday I had a 9" pizza (yes a "real" one, and yes was very good...with peperoni!) and on wendsay I had some cookies (remeber, 2 neg biopsies, and 1 neg blood test.... had ruled out celiac disease) and many of my phatom un solvable symptoms have goten worse (nausa, gas, etc). Still are today. Soooo start thinking about it again and realize that maybe have not realy given the blood test a fair run. So.. bought some Rasinbran and 6 cininamon rasin begals today... If it is celiac disease then next couple months gonna suck, but at least I will know.. if not... well at least its rule out for good. :huh:

- Vincent -

#15 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:44 PM

If you really like raisin bran, go with it. I didn't mean to sound like it wasn't an option, I just put the shredded wheat down because of the protein content. Have a bit bigger of a bowl of raisin bran for breakfast or ah extra bowl for dessert. If it's going to cause symptoms, at least you can enjoy what you're eating in taste. :-)
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: