This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can I Have A Nervous Breakdown Now?

BabsV

BabsV Enthusiast

I suspect that the only way to get better in Poland would be to eat only PURE foods? Absolutely nothing from a jar, box or tin. My boys also ask for spring water (without chlorine or fluoride) when they've been glutened, and are recovering. I wonder how "treated" the tap water is in Poland. Now for Windhoek, Namibia? What kind of fresh produce is available? Grocery stores? Markets?

I stick to pure foods as much as possible. I am eating very few gluten-free replacement foods and the only ones I will eat are Schar and some things (pasta) ordered from the States. I won't touch the local gluten-free stuff. Don't drink tap water...only bottled. I think the food quality is just awful in general...can't eat meat because I've been glutened from it on more than one occasion. And cross contamination is a big issue -- I tried a new brand of rice and was sick sick sick. Then realized that same company also packages barley...I'm thinking that they don't clean their lines well/at all?!?! Found some Thai jasmine rice, ate that with no problem. Just counting the days until I am back in the US and I can protein load! Plus I may never eat another piece of fish after the last 10 months. Seriously.

Namibia is pretty much off the table right now, whew.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BabsV Enthusiast

I don't mean to dash your hopes as far seeing Dr. Fasano is concerned, but I was having the same problems and he and his nutritionist didn't help at all. They were pretty hung up on the 20ppm thing and were baffled at why I was having the symptoms I had. I had that glass shards in the gut feeling, sometimes better and sometimes worse. His nutritionist gave me a pretty sophomoric speel about the gluten-free diet. She even said I could have up to an eighth of a teaspoon of gluten containing food a day without a reaction. I just rolled my eyes and got the heck outta there. Fortunately, I only had to drive about 150 miles to get there. As it turns out, they, like most in the medical profession, have no idea of what we are up against in terms of cc issues, sensitivities to levels lower than 20 ppm and all the other issues that I have gotten help from this site about. The gut pain finally went away when I gave up processed gluten free foods and took more steps to prevent cc. The silver lining is that you are using this forum to learn more about what you are dealing with. I think you are on the right track in thinking it may be cc. A whole foods diet might help. I still have trouble with occasional unexplained d, but I can say that the constant gut pain definitely is a lot better after taking some good advice from this forum.

I'm not expecting a miracle...I just want to know if there are any tests that should have been done but haven't because the doctors here have no clue about anything related to Celiac. I mean, they don't want to check my vitamin levels, look at possible other food intolerances, etc. The only test they wanted to do was repeat blood work to see if my antibody levels had fallen at 6 months -- which they had, I am close to the negative/normal range although not there yet. I'll see what Univ of MD has to offer...it isn't that far from where I'll be living (maybe an hour's drive) so one afternoon spent on going there is worth it to me at this point.

I'm also planning on going straight pure foods as soon as we are back in the States and I have more options. Also looking at acupuncture...I've got a friend with chronic pain issues who's greatly helped by acupuncture, and my father lived in Asia on and off for 40 years and he swore by acupuncture for his sinus problem! Plus, being back in the States should reduce my stress levels and that can't hurt!

we shall see...*fingers crossed*

squirmingitch Veteran

And bringing that cute little border terrier with you! Border crossing the border!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I'm not expecting a miracle...I just want to know if there are any tests that should have been done but haven't because the doctors here have no clue about anything related to Celiac. I mean, they don't want to check my vitamin levels, look at possible other food intolerances, etc. The only test they wanted to do was repeat blood work to see if my antibody levels had fallen at 6 months -- which they had, I am close to the negative/normal range although not there yet. I'll see what Univ of MD has to offer...it isn't that far from where I'll be living (maybe an hour's drive) so one afternoon spent on going there is worth it to me at this point.

I'm also planning on going straight pure foods as soon as we are back in the States and I have more options. Also looking at acupuncture...I've got a friend with chronic pain issues who's greatly helped by acupuncture, and my father lived in Asia on and off for 40 years and he swore by acupuncture for his sinus problem! Plus, being back in the States should reduce my stress levels and that can't hurt!

we shall see...*fingers crossed*

Babs, have you ever found any beef bones available for purchase in the stores there? I'd have to think that at least bones wouldn't have any additives, because that seems kind of impossible. You could make yourself bone broths, they're very nourishing. The gelatin would help sooth your innards. I've read that people can survive for months on only a bone broth diet, it's been used by armies throughout history to feed soldiers in time of famine. If anything you might be able to find a local butcher who could just sell you leftover bones.

I had my mother do this for my grandmother after her hernia surgery, there was a lot of GI distress and anxiety and dehydration, I said bone broth and coconut milk smoothies. Worked like a charm. Are you using any probiotics?

IrishHeart Veteran

. Are you using any probiotics?

She better be! I have pestered her enough about using them :lol:

BabsV Enthusiast

Babs, have you ever found any beef bones available for purchase in the stores there? I'd have to think that at least bones wouldn't have any additives, because that seems kind of impossible. You could make yourself bone broths, they're very nourishing. The gelatin would help sooth your innards. I've read that people can survive for months on only a bone broth diet, it's been used by armies throughout history to feed soldiers in time of famine. If anything you might be able to find a local butcher who could just sell you leftover bones.

I had my mother do this for my grandmother after her hernia surgery, there was a lot of GI distress and anxiety and dehydration, I said bone broth and coconut milk smoothies. Worked like a charm. Are you using any probiotics?

Haven't seen them for sale in the stores and since my car has now been shipped I don't think I'll be hunting them down. I'll ask one of my Polish friends if I could get them at a butcher shop...beef is really awful here (pork is much better) but I know it is out there.

And of course I am using probiotics! Love them as they made my extremely loud 'gut gurgle' go away after a few weeks. Couldn't live without them at this point.

On a happy note, yesterday I survived two social events that involved eating out -- so far, no problems so I think I am ok. Whew. One place served Asian food and the chef is from Singapore (excellent English) and knows about gluten plus the owner has a friend who has Celiac Disease so they have a separate prep area in the kitchen, separated ingredients, know not to share spoons, etc. Then had a farewell dinner with our landlord and his family at a place where the owner is gluten free so he's made a section of the menu gluten free; it is also a kosher restaurant and he imports all the meat from the UK so no problems there. As soon as the waitress was told I needed to eat gluten-free because of Celiac Disease she recommended a meal that was 'safe.' So I'm trying to continue on with life and ignore the pain at the moment. Plus it was nice to not have to cook for myself for once! Movers arrive tomorrow to start packing and then the fun begins...and Windhoek is off the table. Whew. No word on Baghdad yet...jobs in DC still a possibility. It will all work out...just with a lot more stress than I really need at this point in my life! But hey, if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger, right? :)

Thanks again to everyone for their kind words and support. You helped me from having a complete breakdown last week.

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, just think of us as a gigantic cushy trampoline.

You can bounce all that stuff off us, and we'll let you go a little wild and crazy and somersault yourself around while you flay your arms in the air, ranting a bit and then, we'll softly catch you when you come back to earth. Safe landing.

uh-huh!..pretty good metaphor, eh? made that up myself, just this very second :lol:

Seriously, Babs---things always have a way of working out. Hubs once told me "99.9% of the stuff we worry about never comes to fruition." He's right. Wasted energy. I did it all my life. Not anymore. Getting very ill changes your perspective about everything. (something good comes out of bad every time)

Pack up and come home, kiddo! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

One more thought:

You should give yourself some major kudos for dealing with this diagnosis and recovery while overseas. You have been your own best advocate.

I cannot imagine how difficult this has been for you.

People have enough trouble planning what to eat here, where everything is written in English. :rolleyes:

So, picture me standing up and wildly applauding YOU!

Cheers, IH

squirmingitch Veteran

I'll second that emotion!

BabsV Enthusiast

Well, just think of us as a gigantic cushy trampoline.

You can bounce all that stuff off us, and we'll let you go a little wild and crazy and somersault yourself around while you flay your arms in the air, ranting a bit and then, we'll softly catch you when you come back to earth. Safe landing.

uh-huh!..pretty good metaphor, eh? made that up myself, just this very second :lol:

*LOVE* this.

BabsV Enthusiast

One more thought:

You should give yourself some major kudos for dealing with this diagnosis and recovery while overseas. You have been your own best advocate.

I cannot imagine how difficult this has been for you.

People have enough trouble planning what to eat here, where everything is written in English. :rolleyes:

So, picture me standing up and wildly applauding YOU!

Cheers, IH

Thanks.

As I've said, I think getting back to the States with better food quality will help my overall health. *fingers crossed*

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks.

As I've said, I think getting back to the States with better food quality will help my overall health. *fingers crossed*

and me wee little toes, too. :)

Archived