36 replies to this topic

#31 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

Babs, have you ever found any beef bones available for purchase in the stores there? I'd have to think that at least bones wouldn't have any additives, because that seems kind of impossible. You could make yourself bone broths, they're very nourishing. The gelatin would help sooth your innards. I've read that people can survive for months on only a bone broth diet, it's been used by armies throughout history to feed soldiers in time of famine. If anything you might be able to find a local butcher who could just sell you leftover bones.

I had my mother do this for my grandmother after her hernia surgery, there was a lot of GI distress and anxiety and dehydration, I said bone broth and coconut milk smoothies. Worked like a charm. Are you using any probiotics?

Haven't seen them for sale in the stores and since my car has now been shipped I don't think I'll be hunting them down. I'll ask one of my Polish friends if I could get them at a butcher shop...beef is really awful here (pork is much better) but I know it is out there.

And of course I am using probiotics! Love them as they made my extremely loud 'gut gurgle' go away after a few weeks. Couldn't live without them at this point.

On a happy note, yesterday I survived two social events that involved eating out -- so far, no problems so I think I am ok. Whew. One place served Asian food and the chef is from Singapore (excellent English) and knows about gluten plus the owner has a friend who has Celiac Disease so they have a separate prep area in the kitchen, separated ingredients, know not to share spoons, etc. Then had a farewell dinner with our landlord and his family at a place where the owner is gluten free so he's made a section of the menu gluten free; it is also a kosher restaurant and he imports all the meat from the UK so no problems there. As soon as the waitress was told I needed to eat gluten-free because of Celiac Disease she recommended a meal that was 'safe.' So I'm trying to continue on with life and ignore the pain at the moment. Plus it was nice to not have to cook for myself for once! Movers arrive tomorrow to start packing and then the fun begins...and Windhoek is off the table. Whew. No word on Baghdad yet...jobs in DC still a possibility. It will all work out...just with a lot more stress than I really need at this point in my life! But hey, if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger, right? :)

Thanks again to everyone for their kind words and support. You helped me from having a complete breakdown last week.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

Well, just think of us as a gigantic cushy trampoline.

You can bounce all that stuff off us, and we'll let you go a little wild and crazy and somersault yourself around while you flay your arms in the air, ranting a bit and then, we'll softly catch you when you come back to earth. Safe landing.

uh-huh!..pretty good metaphor, eh? made that up myself, just this very second :lol:

Seriously, Babs---things always have a way of working out. Hubs once told me "99.9% of the stuff we worry about never comes to fruition." He's right. Wasted energy. I did it all my life. Not anymore. Getting very ill changes your perspective about everything. (something good comes out of bad every time)

Pack up and come home, kiddo! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#33 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:42 AM

One more thought:

You should give yourself some major kudos for dealing with this diagnosis and recovery while overseas. You have been your own best advocate.

I cannot imagine how difficult this has been for you.

People have enough trouble planning what to eat here, where everything is written in English. :rolleyes:

So, picture me standing up and wildly applauding YOU!

Cheers, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#34 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

I'll second that emotion!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#35 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:10 AM

Well, just think of us as a gigantic cushy trampoline.

You can bounce all that stuff off us, and we'll let you go a little wild and crazy and somersault yourself around while you flay your arms in the air, ranting a bit and then, we'll softly catch you when you come back to earth. Safe landing.

uh-huh!..pretty good metaphor, eh? made that up myself, just this very second :lol:

*LOVE* this.

#36 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:11 AM

One more thought:

You should give yourself some major kudos for dealing with this diagnosis and recovery while overseas. You have been your own best advocate.

I cannot imagine how difficult this has been for you.

People have enough trouble planning what to eat here, where everything is written in English. :rolleyes:

So, picture me standing up and wildly applauding YOU!

Cheers, IH

Thanks.

As I've said, I think getting back to the States with better food quality will help my overall health. *fingers crossed*

#37 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

Thanks.

As I've said, I think getting back to the States with better food quality will help my overall health. *fingers crossed*

and me wee little toes, too. :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: