5 replies to this topic

#1 gliad_in_Idaho

gliad_in_Idaho

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

Frito Lay has made several products gluten free for awhile now but we purchased a bag of the Nacho Cheese flavored Doritos the other day and noticed that wheat was no longer listed as an ingredient as it had been previously. So, I emailed them to ask if they were removing gluten from that flavor and this was their reply:

"Thank you for writing to us. The wheat flour has been removed from Doritos Nacho Cheese and they no longer contain any gluten ingredients. This change took place earlier this year.

We consider you a valued consumer and hope you will continue to enjoy snacks from Frito-Lay.

Best regards,

Belinda
Frito-Lay Consumer Relations
011993626A"

Please note that it still does not say "Gluten Free" on the bag so eat at your own risk. However, as it has already been mentioned in another thread, Frito Lays has started an initiative to validate and label their products as gluten free.

http://www.celiac.co...-press-release/

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

oh wow! Awesome of you to check twice. I never looked after I saw it the first time! We have only been buying the blue ones! I read their announcement and some will be labeled gluten free. Others (like Doritos) are listed as "not containing gluten". The difference is that the Doritos and tons of others are made on the same lines as others containing wheat. It said that they wash their lines completely but still do not feel comfortable calling it gluten free...only "not containing gluten". I have been letting my daughter eat their stuff if gluten wasn't in the ingredients. I hope they really do wash those machines!
Here's the link if you want to read which ones are truly gluten free.
http://www.fritolay....ngredients.html

#3 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Thats awesome. I was eating a ton of those just months ago when the doc told me I can eat as much gluten as I wanted before I got scoped. I wonder if they changed in Canada also. Thanks for the info. I wonder if those Nacho Cheese taco shells from Taco Bell are now gluten free then.
CANADIAN!

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Thats awesome. I was eating a ton of those just months ago when the doc told me I can eat as much gluten as I wanted before I got scoped. I wonder if they changed in Canada also. Thanks for the info. I wonder if those Nacho Cheese taco shells from Taco Bell are now gluten free then.

Not much is safe at Taco Bell. Don't know if this list is valid where you are but here is a link

http://www.tacobell....ition/allergens
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Teriw

Teriw

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

I am from Canada and I was only diagnosed about a month and a half ago. When I first started looking I had trouble finding a single chip I could eat. I was checking mainly lays brands. Lays, Ruffles and Doritos. When I started checking a week or two later I found the same products without wheat listed. CC is still possible but I have been successfully eating Zesty Doritos, All Dressed Ruffles and Lays Ketchup with no problems. All 3 had wheat listed when I first checked. the Doritos now just doesn't say any wheat ingretients. Ketchup are listed Gluten free (or wheat free I forget which) and the All Dressed now say rice flour instead of wheat flour.

#6 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

I am from Canada and I was only diagnosed about a month and a half ago. When I first started looking I had trouble finding a single chip I could eat. I was checking mainly lays brands. Lays, Ruffles and Doritos. When I started checking a week or two later I found the same products without wheat listed. CC is still possible but I have been successfully eating Zesty Doritos, All Dressed Ruffles and Lays Ketchup with no problems. All 3 had wheat listed when I first checked. the Doritos now just doesn't say any wheat ingretients. Ketchup are listed Gluten free (or wheat free I forget which) and the All Dressed now say rice flour instead of wheat flour.

I got a huge list of gluten free chips I will send you in a private message. If anyone else is interested I will post the whole list here.
CANADIAN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: