6 replies to this topic

#1 bisja

bisja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Just wondering if anyone has tried these or had a bad reaction to them? Am trying to trace what I have gotten so sick from these are the only new thing I have tried, been nibbling on them on and off for a week the sweet potato ones and the vinegar and salt ones, no dairy say gluten free, but I am so sick the whole running to the bathroom I feel as big as a cow well at least my stomach does, and just horrible . Anyone try these? Not sure if it is them or not just trying to figure this out.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mateto

Mateto

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

They're alright for me, but Salt and Vinegar are sickly anyways.

Maybe there was some CC? They might not be overly concerned about it, so I would give them a call. You weren't around flour? I find when shopping in the grocery store, walking in the baking aisle where the flours are can be sickening.
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#3 bisja

bisja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

They're alright for me, but Salt and Vinegar are sickly anyways.

Maybe there was some CC? They might not be overly concerned about it, so I would give them a call. You weren't around flour? I find when shopping in the grocery store, walking in the baking aisle where the flours are can be sickening.

nope I stay away from those isles. Not sure what is going on but will have to call and see if it is a dedicated factory, I just have to start doing more cooking from scratch, and stay away from the processed and store bought things, I just seem to have too many problems with them.

#4 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

There was a thread on here a few months ago about those, several people (including myself) had bad reactions. I suspect either MSG or sulfites, due to the reaction I had. At the time I suspected msg cc, but now that I know more about sulfites and that they're frequently used in the processing of potato products I suspect that's more likely.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#5 bisja

bisja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

There was a thread on here a few months ago about those, several people (including myself) had bad reactions. I suspect either MSG or sulfites, due to the reaction I had. At the time I suspected msg cc, but now that I know more about sulfites and that they're frequently used in the processing of potato products I suspect that's more likely.

ohhhh I must have missed that thread! I will try to find it, I am not sure what is in them that has made me so sick but honestly have not felt this terrible for a long time, my stomach but also muscle pain, can't sleep, had headaches, but I notice today that is starting to go away. Phew thats the end of me trying those again! I get so tired of trying new things and 9 times out of 10 it does not work for me. I am going to try to find the thread talking about them, thanks so much for letting me know.

#6 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

I remember reading labels on different Pop Chip bags several months ago and some stated they were made on shared equipment or in a shared facility or something...it wasn't all the flavors at the time. The packaging was very clear about it -- I can't remember what the difference was but there was some sort of difference in the gluten labeling on the chips made on shared equipment/shared facility. Maybe it said no gluten ingredients vs gluten free?!? Gah, wish I could remember. I just know that the labeling was enough to make me stop and read each type of flavor because I was intrigued with the detail. I didn't try them at the time because of all the ingredients listed...basically I was sticking to things that had 3 or fewer ingredients listed. So maybe a CC issue? Or one of the other ingredients since there are a lot?

#7 bisja

bisja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

I remember reading labels on different Pop Chip bags several months ago and some stated they were made on shared equipment or in a shared facility or something...it wasn't all the flavors at the time. The packaging was very clear about it -- I can't remember what the difference was but there was some sort of difference in the gluten labeling on the chips made on shared equipment/shared facility. Maybe it said no gluten ingredients vs gluten free?!? Gah, wish I could remember. I just know that the labeling was enough to make me stop and read each type of flavor because I was intrigued with the detail. I didn't try them at the time because of all the ingredients listed...basically I was sticking to things that had 3 or fewer ingredients listed. So maybe a CC issue? Or one of the other ingredients since there are a lot?

oh that's interesting I looked at the bags I had they didn't say anything but, it doesn't surprise me, I am still sick off of those things! I wish I would have never ate them, time I start learning to make my own stuff I do remember my Father making homemade potato chips when I was young they were so good, I can't remember how he did them but know that they were wonderful. So am going on a search to start making some things that I get cravings for, getting tired of going through this sick crud with things that the government has said are ok to call gluten free. Ok I am ranting a bit here but geeeeezzzzzzzzzzz I get so dang tired of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: