Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Celiac Experts Test Domino's Gluten-Free Pizza for Gluten in Allergen Testing Lab - PR Web (press release)

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

PR Web

Celiac Experts Test Domino's Gluten-Free Pizza for Gluten in Allergen Testing Lab
PR Web (press release)
Following the controversy surrounding the new Domino's gluten-free pizza, leading celiac experts test Domino's pizzas in three different cities for levels of gluten. The results are very surprising. There was a huge debate about whether Domino's ...
Gia's Gluten Free Bakery Celiac.com
Auburn-based GIG presents gluten-free event June 16 Auburn Reporter
Gluten-Free Diets: What Are They And Should You Be On One? Triathlete Europe
Siskiyou Daily News (blog)  - insideTORONTO.com
all 7 news articles »

View the full article
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:57 AM

Hmmmm...I'm still not willing to risk it. I'd rather make my own pizza; it tastes better also!

#3 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

A statistically worthless survey. Three samples, out of thousands of stores, taken relatively soon after any new procedures were implemented.

Sample a hundred pizzas a month for the next year, then get back to me.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#4 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

View the full article

I think I will stick with Mellow Mushroom; at least they are specifically trained to prevent cross contamination.
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

#5 Oscar

Oscar

Grouch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

A statistically worthless survey. Three samples, out of thousands of stores, taken relatively soon after any new procedures were implemented.

Three is indeed a small sample. Twenty-five or so would have been better. The validity question also hinges on whether the samples were blind, or did the stores have any way of knowing that these were not random ordinary customers ordering the pizzas.

Sample a hundred pizzas a month for the next year, then get back to me.

You have a bit of an attitude on this, don't you? And not just this post. You seem somewhat obsessively negative about Domino's.
"The three-martini lunch is the epitome of American efficiency. Where else can you get an earful, a bellyful and a snootful at the same time?" ~ Gerald R. Ford

Posted Image

#6 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

You have a bit of an attitude on this, don't you? And not just this post. You seem somewhat obsessively negative about Domino's.

To quote psawyer from another discussion:

"Contrast this with the joke of "gluten-free" pizza at Domino's--what a crock that is."

Although I certainly have a negative view of how Domino's has handled itself, and I'm certainly not the only one, I would be hard pressed to call myself obsessive. I believe that the harm they've done by introducing that product is enough to warrant the negativity. But that discussion has been expanded in other posts already.

The study here is just an example of "How much poison is in the well today?" Ignoring the extremely small sample size and whether or not the study was blind, it simply doesn't change the fact that they would need an extremely high passing rate all the time for their product to be acceptable.

The odds of getting salmonella from raw chicken eggs has been estimated at about 1 in 20,000, but that is still a great concern in the food industry. I don't think a raw-egg pizza would go over very well with the general public if that was suddenly available, but the implication of risk should be the same.

I guess it's kind of interesting that three pizzas randomly tested were "safe" but there is no statistical implication from that testing that the average Celiac should to apply to his/her decisions about eating it. At worst it is leading someone to believe that it is safer than it really is.

What success rate would a restaurant have to have for a Celiac to feel comfortable eating there? 100%? 99.9%? 90%? 85%? If the study provided something like that, then people could make their own informed decision, but otherwise it's just statistical noise.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: