6 replies to this topic

#1 twe0708

twe0708

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

I know Celiac disease isn't an allergy, but I was wondering how many people with Celiac get tested for allergies to see if they are allergic to corn, milk products or anything else? My bowels are not a 100% so maybe I have something else going on. Do most gluten-free people have normal bowels after 2 1/2 years? :unsure: I feel pretty good overall. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Our allergies came first.

We have added in sensitivity (IgG) testing in addition to allergy (IgE) testing. That is how we found out the whole household is reactive to wheat/gluten in one form or another. We have 2 we suspect to be celiac (dh type rash) but we will not do further testing because one that has the rash also tests IgE positive for wheat so he has to be off of it.

I would suggest both IgE and IgG testing for anyone. Just removing this more simplistic IgG items have made a big difference.
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

I found out about the allergies later. I was trying to nail down my problem with dairy and my allergist ran a large panel of foods and boy did I walk out with a list! and it was right on track. After eliminating all that I tested pos. to my system was so calm it was unnerving. I would eat and not even feel that full feeling. I found that the vast majority give me GI symptoms and now recognize that I get GI inflamation-I can feel it. I had normal bowels during the day but still had loose stools in the a.m. and had what I now recognize as GI inflamation at night that interfrerred with my sleep.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

OOPs
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#5 woodnewt

woodnewt

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:04 AM

I know Celiac disease isn't an allergy, but I was wondering how many people with Celiac get tested for allergies to see if they are allergic to corn, milk products or anything else? My bowels are not a 100% so maybe I have something else going on. Do most gluten-free people have normal bowels after 2 1/2 years? :unsure: I feel pretty good overall. :)

I seem to be "intolerant" to many foods, but as far as I know, the only "true" allergy I have is to barley. It's a classic (rash, asthma, swelling) but fortunately more mild, non-fatal allergy. I got the tests, and that's the only one that I have a Type I Hypersensitivity to. If I ever get insurance that covers allergy testing, I'll probably get re-tested, as my food tolerances changed quite suddenly and drastically a couple of years ago.

I also have a delayed reaction to milk (causes an allergic (bloody) colitis 1-2 days after consuming it). I have had this hypersensitivity since age 18. I also have a hypersensitivity to seafood, which I developed 3 years ago. This seems to be improving ever so slightly, however, as I can now tolerate sea salt without problems.

#6 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:11 AM

If I ever get insurance that covers allergy testing, I'll probably get re-tested, as my food tolerances changed quite suddenly and drastically a couple of years ago.

We just had a child retested using the same lab that did our IgG testing. It was 1/10th what we pay the "traditional" allergy dr route. We will know soon how that went (still waiting on results). Our last traditional test was a waste of $$. It was not accurate at all (told me I was not allergic to 2 items I'm anaphylactic to).
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#7 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

I got allergy testing, yes. That found some things I can't eat (like dairy, soy, and eggs, for example). I also eliminated foods from my diet and kept a food journal for a while and found more foods/problems as well.

Oh, and I think you should have normal bowels now, yes.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: