12 replies to this topic

#1 BrandiS

BrandiS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

What do you use that you have found to be gluten free?! Before I was completely debiliated by this brain fog and could still work I was quite obsessed with makeup and beauty products so I have a rediculous amount of stuff.. Being that I am very new to going gluten-free and taking it step by step Im just curious! Esp, eye liner and mascara. ( I have a terrible twitch in my left eyelid and am wondering if it is gluten related! Any recommendations on drugstore face moisterizer as well?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

There are hundreds of threads on this topic.

Use the SEARCH FORUM VIA GOOGLE --look on the top right of your screen under your profile? ---see it? :)

okay, type in moisturizer, etc, and you will find a lot of helpful information!

I do not worry about eye makeup as I do not get that in my mouth.

Your main concern is lip stick.

and welcome to the forum!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 BrandiS

BrandiS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

Been googling away for the last hour!! :)) hehe. Gonna get this! Slowly but surely! Thank you so much! :)

#4 cerebralclown

cerebralclown

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

Foundation, powder, etc. have caused huge problems for me in addition to lipstick. I touch my face all the time without thinking, rub my eyes, then yep! In my mouth my fingers end up going for whatever reason. So, I just stick with affordable online companies. Cleure (along with great makeup, also has soaps, shampoos, and toothpastes, etc. too) and Afterglow being the best and closest to mainstream makeup as far as blending, coverage, and color.

#5 TiaMichi2

TiaMichi2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

What do you use that you have found to be gluten free?! Before I was completely debiliated by this brain fog and could still work I was quite obsessed with makeup and beauty products so I have a rediculous amount of stuff.. Being that I am very new to going gluten-free and taking it step by step Im just curious! Esp, eye liner and mascara. ( I have a terrible twitch in my left eyelid and am wondering if it is gluten related! Any recommendations on drugstore face moisterizer as well?

Hi :)

I use Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers with no problem.
Eye liner and mascara, AfterGlow Cosmetics.
Lotion, soap and body oils California Baby is my line of preference.

Hope this helps!
-Miriam

#6 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

I use Maybelline Great Lash Mascara and have various eye liners (I picked up a Wet & Wild eye liner on a whim recently). I'm using a Revlon foundation, Cover Girl powder...no special products that I can't pick up at a local drug store or Wal-Mart.

In the past six months I picked up a Garnier moisturizer I like a lot and would like to try their shampoo and conditioner. Right now I use Suave.

Lip products would be more critical...I use Blistex Lip Balm (in the blue-green tube). Rarely wear lipstick but then I don't work so no need to dress up. I threw out tons of lipstick when I first went gluten-free as I had no idea what was in it.

Not everything has to be expensive...and this is coming from a former product snob. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

Not everything has to be expensive...and this is coming from a former product snob. Posted Image

Ditto, SA. I used to buy high- end products like Estee Lauder, Clinique, Origins, Bare Minerals, etc. although I never wore foundation.

Maybelline Great Lash works better than ANY of those brands!

I am still looking for a lip gloss I like. I purchased a very expensive one from one of the "gluten free" makeup companies, as well as a mascara (when I worried incessantly early on about such things) and honestly, for a total of $50, neither of those products was very good. I threw them both out. :(

Back to basics for me. Garnier is good.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

Been googling away for the last hour!! :)) hehe. Gonna get this! Slowly but surely! Thank you so much! :)

I just thought maybe reading a few threads would give you more to consider as you make your list.
Be sure to check the dates on the posts for the most recent info.
Hope you can find what you need!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#9 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

I am still looking for a lip gloss I like. I purchased a very expensive one from one of the "gluten free" makeup companies, as well as a mascara (when I worried incessantly early on about such things) and honestly, for a total of $50, neither of those products was very good. I threw them both out. :(

Back to basics for me. Garnier is good.

Have you tried Red Apple Lipstick? I love their lipsticks, glosses and balm. They are gluten-free, paraben free, vegan, etc. They have amazing customer service and when I bought my first couple I cringed at the price (I have never been one to pay a lot for cosmetics since I don't wear them very often) but I've gotta say they are totally worth it.

Red Apple has developed eyeliners and are about to introduce eye shadows. I guess they hope to roll out all sorts of gluten-free cosmetics but are taking it very slowly and doing lots of testing to make sure the products are of high quality but pass all the tests they give them. I've been so impressed with their lip products I will happily buy any other products they develop!

#10 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Have you tried Red Apple Lipstick? I love their lipsticks, glosses and balm. They are gluten-free, paraben free, vegan, etc. They have amazing customer service and when I bought my first couple I cringed at the price (I have never been one to pay a lot for cosmetics since I don't wear them very often) but I've gotta say they are totally worth it.

Red Apple has developed eyeliners and are about to introduce eye shadows. I guess they hope to roll out all sorts of gluten-free cosmetics but are taking it very slowly and doing lots of testing to make sure the products are of high quality but pass all the tests they give them. I've been so impressed with their lip products I will happily buy any other products they develop!

I agree with Red Apple! I have three lipsticks and two glosses. I love that the shades are pink! They are super sweet, check out their page on Facebook.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Have you tried Red Apple Lipstick?

Thanks for the suggestion!! :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Another vote for Red Apple Lipstick. They have a lipstick "exchange" program whereby you send in your old used lipstick for a discount on their stuff. I sent in 3 lipsticks/glosses and bought 2 lipsticks and 1 gloss. I love them. I have Ruby Slippers and Strawberry and both are very flattering colors.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#13 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Another vote for Red Apple Lipstick. They have a lipstick "exchange" program whereby you send in your old used lipstick for a discount on their stuff. I sent in 3 lipsticks/glosses and bought 2 lipsticks and 1 gloss. I love them. I have Ruby Slippers and Strawberry and both are very flattering colors.

At first I wasn't sure, but saw that the "celiac Diva" used these and reviewed them. They were very fast in answering all my questions. I'm gluten-free of course, but also nut, soy free. I have no problems with the lipsticks at all. I will tell you some are lighter on the lips than other. I have both and I love both. they have a few shades that are shimmers. I love that. The are a very sweet couple that really care about putting out a great product.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: