2 replies to this topic

#1 anna34

anna34

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

I stopped eating gluten March 2011 following "borderline" blood test. My response to the diet was incredible - depression lifted, anxiety reduced.

So...it's a year later and I've learned A LOT from these boards and my own reading. I've started taking the following supplements: 2000 C, 2000 D, multivitamin, 1 tsp. omega 3, and a probiotic. My questions are, does it matter what time of day I take vitamins? Should I take them all at once or spread them out? Should they be taken with certain foods? Right now, I take all of them after eating my breakfast and take them with some orange juice.

I'm also wondering if anybody has ever forgotten to take a vitamin for, say, a week, and noticed a difference in their mood? I forgot to take omega 3 for a week and felt really terrible (depressive), remembered to take it again then felt better. I didn't put it all together until after I'd felt better for a while.

My other question is about my reaction to glutening being different now than it was in the beginning. The gas/bloating reaction happens first (as usual) but the depressive symptoms (feeling down/tired/brain fog) may not kick in until the next day. Is that normal?

I ask because sometimes the gas/bloating may not be that bad and I won't even realize I've been glutened, but then the next day I feel depressed and tired and my gut hurts (I describe it to others by saying that my gut feels bruised - familiar to anyone?). Then I say, "Oh, I must have been glutened yesterday". Sometimes I feel like I'm just blaming gluten for a bad mood or depression. When I come out of the fog though, I always realize that I wasn't myself and that it had to be gluten. While I'm in the gluten fog (for a day or two) I find myself questioning. Anybody else experience this type of thing?

I'm not questioning whether or not I have celiac, it's just that this can be such a frustrating thing to deal with. Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
blood test "borderline" (February 2011)
no further testing
gluten-free (March 2011)
positive response

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Sieben

Sieben

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

You should take your supplements with a large meal. Particularly in the case of w3's, this promotes storage. You want to be as anabolic as possible.

It shouldn't make a large difference, but taking them with your evening meal promotes storage since your body is repairing itself while you sleep (there is a large GH pulse).

Now I have a question for you :). How soon after going on gluten-free did your symptoms (depression, anxiety) clear up?

#3 anna34

anna34

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

You should take your supplements with a large meal. Particularly in the case of w3's, this promotes storage. You want to be as anabolic as possible.

It shouldn't make a large difference, but taking them with your evening meal promotes storage since your body is repairing itself while you sleep (there is a large GH pulse).

Now I have a question for you :). How soon after going on gluten-free did your symptoms (depression, anxiety) clear up?

Thanks for your reply.

Within 24 hours of not eating gluten the depression started to lift. By day 4 I actually said aloud that I felt somewhat better and other people were noticing that my mood was improving, that I seemed lighter. (This was after 6 months of treatments with SSRIs to which I was unresponsive.)

The depression continued to lift each day for several months. I got stronger and stronger. Today, while I do have moments of stress, I no longer live with constant anxiety that spirals out of control. I haven't had a panic attack since going gluten-free. :)

When I accidentally consume gluten, I get a headache, brain fog, and feel down/depressed for 24-48 hours. It all makes sense now.
blood test "borderline" (February 2011)
no further testing
gluten-free (March 2011)
positive response

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: