This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Juice Fast

MistyRG

MistyRG Apprentice

I haven't officially been diagnosed. Waiting on biopsy results for DH, and my endoscopy is Monday. But everything points to Celiac . . .

So, I am thinking about doing a juice fast to jump start my body (in weight AND health) and get it ready for the whole gluten free lifestyle. Because I plan on making a lot of dietary changes, I figured this would give me a head start.

Anyone ever tried this? I am thinking 10 days to start . . . we'll go from there!!

(Can you tell I just watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead???) LOL

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rekua Newbie

Hi,

So have you done the juice fast?

I actually realized that I have celiac after breaking a 10 day fast and building up my diet gradually. That's when I got sick after eating bread. My experience is that after the fast you don't crave for breads anymore so it can be a really good start for going gluten free!!

• 4 weeks later...
peacefirst Rookie

I really like juice fasting -even weekly one day one is very good. The longest I did was 14 days. If someone would make the juice and clean up afterwards, I could juice fast for long time, but it gets so tiring to do that after a while, especially that i still need to feed my family too.

Juice fasting takes out all the swelling from all the tissues so nicely and makes skin glow...I think, I will fast soon again... :)

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Actually that is a really good one because it's pretty much free of gluten and all 8 of the top allergens too. It's also nice because it has plans with food for longer fasts. If you haven't seen this the plans are here:

Open Original Shared Link

The Dr. Oz 48 hour cleanse is pretty good too.

GlutenFreeAustinite Contributor

If you've never done one, be aware of how your body can react. I've juice fasted as part of church fundraisers several times and done horribly. I get a bad headache from all the sugar, jitters, nausea, extreme crankiness -- in other words, I don't react well, and will probably not be able to fast again. My sister, also prone to headaches, gets nasty ones herself when she fasts. So if you are prone to headaches, make sure you drink plenty of water, and listen to your body.

• 4 weeks later...
Persei V. Enthusiast

Well, take care when you are doing it, though. Make sure your juices are directly from the fruit and use brown sugar or honey instead of white sugar... Juice fast is what I do every time I get glutenated by accident, and works like a charm, but beware and watch for mood changes and your glicemy...

ChristineWas Rookie

I think fasts are a fantastic way to transition into major diet changes. I have done this at various stages throughout my life and it has really made long-term adjustments to my day to day diet much easier.

Also... the statement about headaches and nausea that you may experience: I honestly don't think sugar is a likely culprit in this. Especially if you are doing a healthy juice fast involving a lot of fresh vegetable juices (like in the documentary). Most likely, headaches and nausea experienced during extended fasts are due to detoxing. If you do a longer fast (30-40 days), you will often find that these symptoms go away after the initial detox period.

Anyway... I think it may work out very well for you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kittty Contributor

According to my doctor, the headaches experienced with these diets are often due to a lack of protein.

I'd be careful with juice diets, or any kind of diet that eliminates specific foods (minus gluten of course), because if your body is still not absorbing properly and you eliminate a certain nutrient that it needs, you could end up feeling even worse.

There is also no natural source of vitamin B12 in just fruits and vegetables, so unless you're taking a supplement too you could experience a B12 deficiency on a long-term juice diet.

GottaSki Mentor

I did a juice fast to detox before elimination diet. I did strictly juice/smoothies for four days -- I'd think that anywhere from 3-10 days would be of benefit - I don't think I could have made it to 10 -- I added small amount of boneless chicken at day 4 and then left lean meats in for about two weeks.

Great idea - good luck to you :)

• 1 month later...
Chiana Apprentice

If you've never done one, be aware of how your body can react. I've juice fasted as part of church fundraisers several times and done horribly. I get a bad headache from all the sugar, jitters, nausea, extreme crankiness -- in other words, I don't react well, and will probably not be able to fast again. My sister, also prone to headaches, gets nasty ones herself when she fasts. So if you are prone to headaches, make sure you drink plenty of water, and listen to your body.

Juice fasts can wreak havoc on your blood sugar, and it's especially rough if you are pre-diabetic or mildly hypoglycemic. They're not really a natural way to sustain yourself.

GottaSki Mentor

Juice fasts can wreak havoc on your blood sugar, and it's especially rough if you are pre-diabetic or mildly hypoglycemic. They're not really a natural way to sustain yourself.

I guess I should be more specific - I juiced/smoothied with mostly greens and vegies with small amounts of fruit. All fruit would be a very bad idea and way too much sugar.

• 3 months later...
danae Newbie

I haven't officially been diagnosed. Waiting on biopsy results for DH, and my endoscopy is Monday. But everything points to Celiac . . .

So, I am thinking about doing a juice fast to jump start my body (in weight AND health) and get it ready for the whole gluten free lifestyle. Because I plan on making a lot of dietary changes, I figured this would give me a head start.

Anyone ever tried this? I am thinking 10 days to start . . . we'll go from there!!

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm on day 9 of juicing only. I have been using an 80/20 veggie to fruit ratio and no sweeteners. I went through the normal detox symptoms (headaches, fatigue, etc.) The past two days I was feeling great then last night I added a little wheatgrass to my green juice. I immediately had bloating, cramping, and have been in the bathroom repeatedly. I then read that wheatgrass is gluten free unless it has seeds. I checked my container and the bottom was full of seeds! My doctor had been wanting me to try gluten free to see if I noticed a difference but I would never commit. This past fall I was ill and was put on over 5 five antibiotics including shots too. The meds made me feel just as bad as the problem. So, I started the juicing to clean out my body. I don't need weight loss. I feel horrible right now! Obviously, I had a reaction to the wheatgrass, what do I do now?

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm on day 9 of juicing only. I have been using an 80/20 veggie to fruit ratio and no sweeteners. I went through the normal detox symptoms (headaches, fatigue, etc.) The past two days I was feeling great then last night I added a little wheatgrass to my green juice. I immediately had bloating, cramping, and have been in the bathroom repeatedly. I then read that wheatgrass is gluten free unless it has seeds. I checked my container and the bottom was full of seeds! My doctor had been wanting me to try gluten free to see if I noticed a difference but I would never commit. This past fall I was ill and was put on over 5 five antibiotics including shots too. The meds made me feel just as bad as the problem. So, I started the juicing to clean out my body. I don't need weight loss. I feel horrible right now! Obviuosly, I had a reaction to the wheatgrass, what do I do now?

Um, gotta say now is when you go gluten free darlin.

anonymous-123 Rookie

I plan on doing a detox cleanse from drnatura.com in hopes of it helping me. I did it once before in 2006 and felt great, but I'm not sure how my body will react to it this time around since I have been experiencing so many food sensitivities. I just hope it works out. Good luck on your juicing fast.

danae Newbie

Hi everyone, I am now on day 16 of juicing only & am doing much better than last time I posted. It took about 2 days to get over the wheatgrass reaction & I will definitely be more aware of how food is cultivated. Which brings me to a new discovery, a superfood supplement. I needed some good healthy fats with protein to keep my weight from going to low and was told about a powder made from all organic, vegan, and gluten-free plant sources. When I read the ingredients I was skeptical because the ingredients included wheatgrass(ouch) and barley grass. I went to the website and read about their products and their research and testing and was amazed at how educated and thourough they are with their products. They research and test every ingredient before production and they retest every batch before shipping for any possible cross contamination. So I took the plunge and tried it. NO REACTION, YEA! The product is called Elite Geen Protein Cool Green by Warrior Force and the website is www.warriorforce.com. Anyone looking for a natural protein boost should absolutely check this out, it's an amazing company! Kudos to them!!

anonymous-123 Rookie

i didn't react well to my detox/cleanse that i mentioned in my previous post, so i had to stop after four days. now it is taking me a while to recover as i am feeling very tired, dizzy, faint, sinuses are congested, muscles twitching, mental fog, etc. i am sticking to whole foods and a lot of soup/salad, veggies, nuts, lactose/gluten free cheese, fruits, chicken, natural peanut butter, gluten free rice cakes, etc. i did order a gluten free/hypoallergenic plant protein powder in hopes of getting some more protein in my diet and i can do fun detox shakes with that with whole foods instead. i just hope i don't react negatively to the protein powder as well.

Archived