21 replies to this topic

#16 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

They should have done the IgA at the same time. Problem is..... gluten free & it will turn up negative.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Irishgirl76

Irishgirl76

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

I thought the Total igA was separate from the gluten testing? Just to make sure your body is producing sufficient IgA?
Me - Feb 2012 - Celiac (Positive blood test and biopsy)
dd7- Jan 2012 - Celiac (Positive blood and biopsy), Asperger's Syndrome.
ds5 and ds3, Jan 2012 - negative Celiac panel but suspect DH, Both are HLA DQ2 pos.

#18 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

http://americancelia...ease/diagnosis/

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#19 Irishgirl76

Irishgirl76

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Just to update, we finally had the genetic testing done, and all of the children turned up HLA DQ2 positive.
ds5 and ds3, Jan 2012 - negative Celiac panel but suspect DH, Both are HLA DQ2 pos.

#20 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

So that means they have the genes for celiac but not that they WILL get celiac. If I recall correctly 1/3 of the populace have the celiac gene. However --- with the family history.......

How are things going now? Is your little boy still getting rashes? You do know don't you that the rash can present for 2 yrs. or even longer  EVEN AFTER GOING STRICT gluten-free. All the antibodies have to get out of the skin.

I was re-reading this entire thread so I could remember what all went on & want to mention that I get dh on the backs of my hands. You had questioned that in reference to yourself. Actually, there are few places, very few places I haven't had dh.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#21 Irishgirl76

Irishgirl76

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Thanks, squirmingitch. :) He has had minor flare-ups, but nothing major. I, on the other hand, had a major outbreak that lasted about 3 months (and is just settling down now). It was by far the worst I've ever had. At least I assume that was what it was. Whatever it was it was horrible, and the itching would actually wake me up in the night.

#22 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

OY! I know what that's like! I had a spontaneous outbreak that began in Sept. & lasted for 5 1/2 months --- well, I still have a lot of places but the outbreak I'm talking about was MASSIVE & I had lesions that were horrible --- BIG lesions & it got terribly painful. I now live in fear of having an outbreak like that again. If I had not been 5000% sure I was not getting any cc from anywhere then I would have sworn I had been glutened somewhere along the line. Just plugging along, putting in my time --- 15.5 months gluten-free now.

I'm very glad to hear your ds has only had minor flare-ups. I'm thinking that's an indication that you took him gluten-free before he got to the point where he will take as long to get the antibodies out of the skin as we will. YAY!

Hang in there!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: