This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf Teriyaki Sauce

celiac3270

celiac3270 Collaborator

Hi,

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine who has Celiac disease, but doesn't post on any boards. Rather than phrase it myself, I'll just let you read the e-mail:

celiac3270 - I have a favor to ask you.  I've been looking for gluten-free teriyaki sauce in the health food stores but have not been able to find it.  Teriyaki sauce always has soy sauce in it and, as you well know, soy sauce has wheat in it.  While health food stores always carry gluten-free soy sauce, there doesn't seem to be a gluten-free teriyaki.  I am unfamiliar with the chat boards, but I was wondering if you wouldn't mind asking the question on my behalf - is there a gluten-free teriyaki sauce on the market and where can it be found?  I hope you don't mind!  If it's a problem, not to worry, I'm sure I can figure it out.  Thanks so much.

So, gluten-free teriyaki sauce, anyone? B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

PicturePerfect Explorer

I don't know of any myself.. but I typed "Gluten-Free Teriyaki Sauce" into google.com and a bunch of results popped up. Not sure which ones the best though....

Lisa

tarnalberry Community Regular

I always make my own - I like extra pineapple in it, and it's not hard to make, bottle, and keep a bunch in the fridge for future use. (I posted the recipe I use a while back in my big long list of recipes, I think.)

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Premiere Japan has a gluten-free Teriyaki Sauce. You can find it some places on line, or they sell it in Whole Foods.

grantschoep Contributor
Premiere Japan has a gluten-free Teriyaki Sauce. You can find it some places on line, or they sell it in Whole Foods.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just had to run downstairs to my kitchen as I knew I had some.

The website is Open Original Shared Link The Premier Japan Teriyaki ust says "Wheat free" but looking at all the ingredients it should be fine.

They list the gluten-free products here.

Open Original Shared Link

Note, I was extreamly excited to get an email from a semi-fast food chain that is out here in Colorado. Its called Tokyo-Joes, its basically advertised "fast food, japenese style" But in the coming months they aree going to add a gluten-free teryaki bowl to their menu. They are have a gluten-free Soy sauce, and they Chicken Curry bowl is gluten-free.

mmm.. Ok now I think I need to head there for lunch... or maybe its a late lunch now...

Roo Explorer

E-Z Marinader is gluten-free. It is in a pouch and is made by Heinz, I just buy it in the Supermarket.

I wish it didn't only come in a pouch because then you can't just use a little. But at least I found it and it's a good one.

Roo

• 3 months later...
skoki-mom Explorer

Hi, just wanted to add that I bought Diana Sauce Teriyaki Marinade yesterday. It is made by Heinz and according to my Canadian gluten-free products list, it is gluten-free! There is also nothing suspicious looking on the label :) I am going to marinade me some chicken tomorrow, yummy! I love teriyaki and I haven't had any since I went gluten-free :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mcsteffi Rookie

I bought a Wheat free soy sauce for my son... would that be gluten-free too? It has water, organic soybeans, salt and organic alcohol. Thanks for any help.

lpellegr Collaborator

It's not glamorous and gourmet, but I believe La Choy teriyaki sauce is gluten-free, as is their soy sauce. Should be easier to find than brands you can only get at health food stores.

celiac3270 Collaborator
I bought a Wheat free soy sauce for my son... would that be gluten-free too? It has water, organic soybeans, salt and organic alcohol. Thanks for any help.

Oh, just editing to clarify (even though it should be clear from the quote) that I was responding to mcsteffi, and not to lpellegr about La Choy.

Not necessarily. There could still be rye or barley. Water would be fine, so would the soybeans and salt. The alcohol you're not sure of... you don't know what type. You should call.

Oh, just editing to clarify (even though it should be clear from the quote) that I was responding to mcsteffi, and not to lpellegr about La Choy.

Not necessarily. There could still be rye or barley. Water would be fine, so would the soybeans and salt. The alcohol you're not sure of... you don't know what type. You should call.

In that sense, however, the alcohol is distilled, and should be fine, even if it is wheat based. Though "wheat free" doesn't mean gluten free, it *can* if there are no other gluten containing ingredients. The soy sauce you refer to there is almost certainly gluten free, and I would certainly believe so off of that ingredient list.

celiac3270 Collaborator

And yet, beer is distilled, but considered not gluten-free (not to undermine you, though; I, too, trust distilled--vinegar, for example--even if the distillation process involves gluten-containing grains. The difference is that w/ beer, I think they add some barley back after distilling or something.

And yet, beer is distilled, but considered not gluten-free (not to undermine you, though; I, too, trust distilled--vinegar, for example--even if the distillation process involves gluten-containing grains. The difference is that w/ beer, I think they add some barley back after distilling or something.

Beer isn't distilled.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Oh... ok... well some alcohol isn't gluten-free, because in whatever way beer is produced :P , it often contains barley.

Oh... ok... well some alcohol isn't gluten-free, because in whatever way beer is produced :P , it often contains barley.

But alcohol that's listed as an ingredient on the label of a food has to meet certain requirements, and one of them is that it's distilled. Same way that there are requirements about what "vinegar" means on a label. If beer is an ingredient in something, it's got to list beer (or the beer ingredients). That's why I wouldn't be concerned about gluten in an alcohol listed in the ingredients for a soy sauce if you are fine with distilled products.

It's a good point, sometimes we use words generically and don't think about how we're using them, and if we're not being careful, might over generalize to the point where you'd think that. But we also don't want to get caught in over generalizing things incorrectly - which, granted, is sometimes tough to do. :-)

celiac3270 Collaborator

Wow...you really know what you're talking about with the alcohol situation. I, obviously, do not :)

Wow...you really know what you're talking about with the alcohol situation. I, obviously, do not :)

Eh. I learned the labeling thing from someone on here! Gotta love this place. :-)

Archived