4 replies to this topic

#1 MistyRG

MistyRG

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

I had my intestinal biopsy done today. Preliminary report is that everything looks normal. I should be happy, but I am confused! I know we have to wait for the results for a definitve answer, but I guess I assumed they would see something.

Has anyone has a normal looking preliminary result followed by a positive biopsy?

I am also waiting on biopsy results of my rash. Is it possible to have the rash positive and maybe too early for intestinal issues?

I had 3 positive blood tests, including a positive EMA. Everyone says that is celiac specific showing damage, which is why I am confused with the "normal" report.

Thanks!
4/2012 - Odd rash appears
5/2012 - 3 out of 5 positives on Celiac blood panel
5/2012 - Skin biopsy - negative for DH - possible lupus???
6/2102 - Intestinal biopsy - positive
Gluten free since 6/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 roxieb73

roxieb73

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

I had my intestinal biopsy done today. Preliminary report is that everything looks normal. I should be happy, but I am confused! I know we have to wait for the results for a definitve answer, but I guess I assumed they would see something.

Has anyone has a normal looking preliminary result followed by a positive biopsy?

I am also waiting on biopsy results of my rash. Is it possible to have the rash positive and maybe too early for intestinal issues?

I had 3 positive blood tests, including a positive EMA. Everyone says that is celiac specific showing damage, which is why I am confused with the "normal" report.

Thanks!

I would wait for results. If you had a positive blood test I wouldn't worry about the biopsy. Could be they just got a bad sample. Everything I read says there are very few false positives. I would go with that. On another note can you describe your rash you had? I have had what I believe to be the celiac rash but it would be nice to compare notes. :D
GI confirmed Celiac 08/2012
Double DQ1 subtypes(5,6)
Severe Vit D defiency
Iron Defiency Anemia
Gluten Free and on my way back to good health

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

You have had positive blood work so you do need the diet no matter what the biopsy results. Yes there have been folks that were told everything looked fine and then had the biopsy show up as positive but false negatives are not uncommon. You don't need to wait for the biopsy results and should get on the diet today.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 MistyRG

MistyRG

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

My rash is extremely itchy red bumps. Some are clusters and some single. Some had fluid filled blisters. I have had 2 outbreaks, and they started on my elbows ans went up and down my arms. Then spread to my knees.

Pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you for your replies! It is hard yo be patient!!
4/2012 - Odd rash appears
5/2012 - 3 out of 5 positives on Celiac blood panel
5/2012 - Skin biopsy - negative for DH - possible lupus???
6/2102 - Intestinal biopsy - positive
Gluten free since 6/2012

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Misty, SURE looks & sounds like dh to me & I outta know! Go gluten free immediately! You now know you have the antibodies in your skin --- the rash is telling you that. Take it from me --- you don't want it to go any farther! It's going to take a while for the antibodies to leave your skin as it is; please quit gluten now & try to save yourself some grief.

Your blood work says you have celiac disease. Now the rahs is telling you that you have dh & dh = celiac disease. Your biopsy is a moot point now. You have celiac disease.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: