This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Acid Reflux a Symptom?

AMR

AMR Newbie

I have had an issue with acid in my stomach for at least two or three years now and this past year have experienced hunger pains in my intestines usually more noticed at night. This feeling usually stays with me until I fall asleep or use a heat pack to relax me.

I was diagnosed about 12 years ago with GERD but I find I really do not find myself with acid reflux but more of what I would term acidity feeling in my stomach. I have noticed more and more gas with this and also bowel issues, such as loose and smelly stools. It was suggested to try a gluten-free diet. Also, the past year or so have experienced more arthritic issues in my joints. Had RA blood test done and also test for arthritic gout, all we're

Do I have celiac disease ? Would glutton free help?

Thank you

AMR

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

All your symptoms could be consistent with celiac. It at least warrents testing. Blood test includes, IgA/IgG tTG(tissue transglutaminase antibody), IgA/IgG DGP(deamidated gliadin peptide), EMA(endomysial antibody) and a total IgA(validates the IgA testing). If indicated you can have an EGD with a minimum of 8-10 small bowel biopsies. The EGD will look for other things as well besides celiac such as H pylori, barretts esophagus, ulcers etc. Do not go gluten free until you complete all the testing you are going to do. Even if all your testing comes back negative, it might be worth it to try gluten free for a good three months and see how you do. Blood tests can have a lot of false negatives.

Horrible acid reflux was my first symptom that I complained about. I had other GI symptoms in hindsite, just didn't realize they were related. The reflux came out of the blue and nothing would touch it. I went to the doctor who wanted to put me on PPI's but I refused. After much to do I did have an upper GI series that showed some prominant gastric folds which could have been from inflammation or normal and it was recommended to correlate clinically. My PCP didn't think it significant(just insisted on meds) so I went on another 2 years before I was tested for celiac. My tests were all positive. In that time frame I learned to manage the reflux as best as I could with tums, elevating the head of my bed, watching what I was eating the best I could and drank a lot of water.

Archived