10 replies to this topic

#1 birdie22

birdie22

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

Ive been gluten-free for 6 mos and things are going well. However the past several days I've had smelly gas each night. I'd say 3 of the last 4 days. Always at dinner time or later. No glutening symptoms, normal BMs, feel fine otherwise. My meals each of these days have been different. I thought maybe it was garlicky hummus but no hummus today. I can't ID a common ingredient from those days breakfasts, lunches, or snacks. Could lactose cause symptoms 6-12 hrs later?
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

I do believe lactose could cause symptoms 6-12 hours later. That may well be your problem. Try laying off of it for the next few days & see what happens.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

When this happens to me, I always suspect soy. They're sneaking that stuff into everything! The last time it happened, it turned out that the chopped garlic I was using had soybean oil in.

#4 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

I have been lactose intolerant for most of my life, and several in the family including brothers and nephews. From my own experience I will say absolutely yes, it can happen 6-12 hrs. later. Smelly gas going on for much of the evening is typical of some. Others will get cramps and run to the bathroom and then it will be over for them. It depends on how much lactose you have consumed and your rate of your digestive system and what else is in there being digested at the time, and the degree of your lactose intolerance.

The lactose intolerance tests at my Digestive Disease Center can take up to 4 hours. They cannot tell you how long the test will be in advance because people digest at different rates. They just say be prepared to stay there for up to 4 hours. You are given a big dose of lactose sugar to drink, and there is nothing else in your system at the time because you have not been allowed to eat or drink since the evening before.

#5 ukdan

ukdan

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Before you start suspecting other foods and cutting them out give it another day or so. Garlic and chickpeas are both gas producing foods (especially when your stomach is vulnerable) and it can take more than a day to clear from your system.

#6 Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

I would suggest the garlic hummus is a real possibility!

Do you eat gluten-free grains? I ate some gluten free granola (KIND) the other day, and I had horrible gas for two days- ONLY thing different that I had, no eating out or anything abnormal. I am thinking of trying it again to see if it does the same!! We tried gluten-free pizza crust a few weeks ago, and had the same effect- I assume it can be common to have issues digesting gluten-free grains?

I would give it another day, the garlic hummus sounds like the culprit!

#7 jigsawfallingintoplace

jigsawfallingintoplace

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

I find eggs are a culprit for gas. I love eggs but they dont love me LOL.

#8 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

So, I was gas free once again on the 6th, 7th, 8th. I was out of town the 6th and 7th and eating gopicnic meals and thai food. No issues. Ate as I usually would at home on the 8th and no problem. Last night I was a bit bloated, but not gassy and tonight I'm gassy again. I did actually have hummus, although different brand, while traveling, but not here at home, so I've ruled that out.

Yesterday:
breakfast: coffee w/ creamer, scrambled egg w/ a bit of shredded cheese and avocado
lunch: diet dr pepper and a few tortilla chips (on the run and no time for lunch)
dinner: corn pasta fagioli, salad, strawberry shortcake (gluten-free busquick w/ fresh picked berried and whip cream)

Today:
breakfast: coffee w creamer, gluten-free Vans waffle w/ strawberries
lunch: ham and shredded cheese on corn tortilla w/ avocado, leftover gluten-free pregresso corn chowder soup
dinner: turkey sausage, cantaloupe, boiled spinach, strawberry shortcake (gluten-free busquick w/ fresh picked berried and whip cream)
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

#9 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

As a friend of mine who is a science teacher says
Carbs = gassssssss
Protein = smell

The things I would focus in on are corn, creamer and ham.
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#10 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Speaking from my own experience only and noticing what you posted that you ate I might first suspect corn. I would agree creamer and ham could be possibilities also but I see a lot of corn in there.

Speaking as someone who has corn intolerance herself (and having a little granddaughter who could clear out a movie theater with smelly noisy gas if you make the mistake of giving her popcorn) I can tell you what I know about it.
Symptoms can include nausea, bloating, cramping, gas, diarrhea, vomiting or abdominal pain.
The cause of intolerance is because the small intestines do not produce enough of the enzymes needed to digest the proteins and/or sugars that are found in corn. It might also be that you are not intolerant but just consumed more corn in one day than you intestines could break down and digest.

#11 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

Thanks all for helping me troubleshoot. I keep a food log so I'll keep an eye on the corn connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: