16 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

What do other super sensitives use for rice? I recently bought Lundberg Sweet Brown Rice. It's good but so expensive!! Also, does anyone know if Sams Club sells Lundberg?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

What do other super sensitives use for rice? I recently bought Lundberg Sweet Brown Rice. It's good but so expensive!! Also, does anyone know if Sams Club sells Lundberg?

Any main stream unseasoned grocery store rice would work.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

Any main stream grocery store rice would work.

Oh..whoops...I have a severe corn allergy so I have to have a corn free one so the enriched rice at the grocery store wont work. The only brown unenriched rice I have seen in my store is Mahatma and I think it's cc with corn.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

I think it's cc with corn.

There would not be any cross contamination in the field, due to the vast difference in the growing environments.

Is rice enriched with corn?
Lisa

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

Is corn cc washable from rice? I would think that cc might be variable from batch to batch, and if you had a washing method you trusted, it might be worthwhile just to wash the rice every time.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

Enriched rice is enriched with corn. The enrichment is sprayed on with corn starch. Things such as this make corn allergies really hard to live with because most of the time it is not listed on the label.

For me, with my corn reaction trying to rinse the corn off would be the same as trying to wash gluten off of something.

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

http://www.amrice.com/6-4.cfm

Enrichment
Over 70% of the white rice consumed in the United States is enriched. Rice naturally contains thiamin, niacin, and iron. However, during the milling process, the quantities of these nutrients are reduced. To bring the nutritional value of the milled product up to that of whole grain (brown), rice is enriched with thiamin, niacin, and iron. All enriched rice is additionally fortified with folic acid. The fortification of folic acid in all enriched grain-based products became law in January 1998. Enrichment levels of these nutrients, which are specified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, provide for a minimum of 2 milligrams thiamin, 13 milligrams iron, 16 milligrams niacin, and 0.7 milligrams folic acid per pound of raw rice.

The enrichment mixture is applied to rice as a coating. Therefore, it is recommended that rice not be rinsed before or after cooking and not be cooked in excessive amounts of water and then drained. The enrichment and other water-soluble vitamins and minerals would be lost.

Six states have laws that require enrichment of all milled rice: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, New York, and South Carolina. However, enriched rice is readily available in all states.
Lisa

#8 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

Right, the coating they talk about is corn.

#9 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

So you need a company that doesn't sell any enriched products, or processes the enriched stuff in a different plant? Boy, that's a tough one.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#10 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

Just got this from Lundberg. I guess it's well worth the extra cost!!!

Dear Valued Consumer,
Thank you for taking the time to contact Lundberg Family Farms it is very important to us to hear from our valued consumers. We do not enrich any of our rice varieties additionally; the facility is free of corn.

Thank you,

#11 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:01 AM

I'm in Australia so product availability seems to be different. I am sensitive due to my DH. I have tested many "enriched" products much to my skins distress.
I now stick to rice only ingredient list that are sourced from Thailand. Here in Aus we have many of these and Thailand doesn't have a history of want/need/forced introduction of wheat based ingredients. Thai rice, thai rice noodles etc have been my saviour for staple food.
All of this has been a long journey of experiment and failure. The Thai product for me (available in abundance here in Aus) had been my only starch staple I've been able to rely on apart from fresh potato.

#12 dws

dws

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

I'm in Australia so product availability seems to be different. I am sensitive due to my DH. I have tested many "enriched" products much to my skins distress.
I now stick to rice only ingredient list that are sourced from Thailand. Here in Aus we have many of these and Thailand doesn't have a history of want/need/forced introduction of wheat based ingredients. Thai rice, thai rice noodles etc have been my saviour for staple food.
All of this has been a long journey of experiment and failure. The Thai product for me (available in abundance here in Aus) had been my only starch staple I've been able to rely on apart from fresh potato.

Do you use any of the Thai rice flours? If so, what brand? How about potato starch? If I could do well with those 2 ingredients, a lot would open up for me as far as baking options. Thanks, Dave

#13 benXX

benXX

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Do you use any of the Thai rice flours? If so, what brand? How about potato starch? ...

I use Rice flour from Thai World Imort & Export Co. Ltd.
In stead of potato starch I use Tapioca from the same company.
I use Glutinous Rice flour from Kridsasa Foods Co. Ltd for some desserts.

As long as it comes packet from Thailand, I don't really care about the brand, as cc in Thailand is highly unlikely.
Last April I was in Thailand, ate everywhere, so who knows which brands I've consumed. Never got glutened there.
Ben (58)

Diagnosed Celiac 12-Apr-2012
Dairy intolerant, B12 malabsorption, Bile acid malabsorption.
Osteopania
Lifetime of misdiagnoses.

2008-2011 Lived in Thailand, almost symptom free.
Now only eat Thai food.
Easy to cook - gluten/dairy free - delicious

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

I use Lundberg.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#15 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

.. potato starch? If I could do well with those 2 ingredients, a lot would open up for me as far as baking options. Thanks, Dave

If you're having a hard time finding processed potato starch that works for you, it's actually really easy to make it yourself, if you're interested.

homemade potato starch

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: