arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Fried Chicken Nuggets --- Crispy! Help! Recipe Please!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

I would really, really love to be able to make fried chicken nuggets that turn out crispy & stay crispy. So that you don't waste your time providing recipes that are not what I'm looking for, I will stipulate what I'm not looking for:

Please no recipes for mock fried chicken baked in an oven. I want something fried in oil.
Please no weird flavors. I don't want coconut chicken or anything like that.
Please no recipes for "hot" chicken. No recipes for Tabasco chicken.

I want some plain, regular, nothing fancy, nothing gourmet, deep fried in oil fried chicken.

I have been using a potato flour & white rice flour mixture but it just doesn't get it.
I will be forever in your debt if you can help me out. I have looked online & on this board & found everything BUT.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

I would really, really love to be able to make fried chicken nuggets that turn out crispy & stay crispy. So that you don't waste your time providing recipes that are not what I'm looking for, I will stipulate what I'm not looking for:

Please no recipes for mock fried chicken baked in an oven. I want something fried in oil.
Please no weird flavors. I don't want coconut chicken or anything like that.
Please no recipes for "hot" chicken. No recipes for Tabasco chicken.

I want some plain, regular, nothing fancy, nothing gourmet, deep fried in oil fried chicken.

I have been using a potato flour & white rice flour mixture but it just doesn't get it.
I will be forever in your debt if you can help me out. I have looked online & on this board & found everything BUT.

Wow. That's an interesting challenge!

I've not made them, but would sure love them!

I wonder if you could try doing a wheat-free tempura batter, which would be egg, cornstarch and a gluten-free flour mix (your rice flour would probably work). You would want to roll the chicken in your flour before dipping in batter so it will stick. For more texture, you could add some gluten-free breadcrumbs or some cornmeal or almond meal.

Hmmm...here's an idea at About.com!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#3 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

I get what you are saying and I make chicken strips once a week, everyone devours them, even the kid's friends. Like you, I use to use potato starch, no rice flour though, and they tasted good, but were not browned and crispy the way I wanted them.

So, I switched to tapioca flour. I simply dredge chicken tenderloins in tapioca flour, fry it in my deep fat fryer for around 10 minutes, then dump them out on paper towels and salt them.

Recently, I started using a KFC recipe, and it is even better, I get a good thick crispy outer layer that really tastes like KFC. I made them last night and my husband devoured them until he was in a food coma. Everyone who eats them, regardless of gluten-free status or not, simply loves them. I never have leftovers!

KFC chicken tenderloins or nuggets

frozen chicken tenderloins thawed out (2.5 pound bag)

egg and milk mixture (one egg, and one cup milk, or milk substitute)

flour mixture:
2 cups tapioca flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon baking powder

dredge in flour mixture, then egg/milk mixture, then back in flour mixture. Throw into your deep fat fryer for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned and crispy. For nuggets, just cut chicken breast or tenderloins into pieces, fry till crispy and brown.
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for that. I have been after the same thing. I haven't tried tapioca.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

I know you want tried and true but....although I have never fried these , they have baked crispy so I imagine they would fry great.

1st dredge in tapioca flour with salt , garlic powder and italian herb mix to taste

2nd in egg/milk mix,

3rd roll in well crushed corn chex . I blend them to get them small enough.

fry till done

#6 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:07 AM

I absolutely LOVE Ian's chicken nuggets. You bake them. So good. Get mine at Whole Foods in the freezer section, but you're wanting to fry them. I GET that!
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#7 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:03 AM

THANK YOU ALL SOOOOO MUCH! I KNEW you would come through for me! I have been so frustrated trying to figure it out or find a recipe that was just plain, good old fried chicken. I didn't think of Tapioca flour. The potato flour leaves one with the distinct impression that you have just taken a bite of fried chicken as well as a french fry all in your mouth at one time. LOL! And while the potato/rice flour combo gets a little crispy in a few places; the crispy texture only lasts about 10 minutes.

I will have to order Tapioca flour online (small town here) unless I want to drive about 3 hrs. round trip (nooooooooooPosted Image) to get some. But I'm looking forward to trying it! I'm going to try catsmeow's recipe first as that seems like it is closest to what I'm looking for. Plus I'm having to watch iodine & sals b/c of my dh rash so I can't use certain flours ---- yet. I didn't like using the potato flour as it contains potato skins which are high in iodine. But when ya gotta have fried chicken; ya GOTTA have fried chicken!

I'm a hopeful, happy girl this morning thanks to you guys!Posted Image

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#8 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

Here's another suggestion that I've used even before I had to go gluten free: rice crumbs. I always got them in the health food aisle at the grocery store. This isn't rice flour, but specifically rice crumbs. I find the finished product is like a finer grade panko, but really nice crunch. Not sure if it's what you're looking for but worth a try anyway.

I found a link for the brand I used. I just seasoned it like hell with salt and pepper or maybe herbs de provence, used a seasoned egg wash and double dipped into the crumbs. Really good. One note: I always put them in the freezer as soon as I purchased, kept them from getting stale or rancid - no preservatives.

http://www.orgran.com/products/139/
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#9 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Here's another suggestion that I've used even before I had to go gluten free: rice crumbs. I always got them in the health food aisle at the grocery store. This isn't rice flour, but specifically rice crumbs. I find the finished product is like a finer grade panko, but really nice crunch. Not sure if it's what you're looking for but worth a try anyway.

I found a link for the brand I used. I just seasoned it like hell with salt and pepper or maybe herbs de provence, used a seasoned egg wash and double dipped into the crumbs. Really good. One note: I always put them in the freezer as soon as I purchased, kept them from getting stale or rancid - no preservatives.

http://www.orgran.com/products/139/

Hmmmm...... interesting. Thanks kwylee!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#10 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

When I was at Disney they said their deep frying batter had garbanzo bean flour and soda water. I don't know what other flours were in there but it was super-crispy and very good.

#11 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

When I was at Disney they said their deep frying batter had garbanzo bean flour and soda water. I don't know what other flours were in there but it was super-crispy and very good.

That's a very interesting piece of information Skylark. I know a chef at Disney ---- I think I'll just ask him for the recipe & post it here if he has it & can give it up.<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#12 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

That would be awesome! It was at the Raglan Road Irish pub in Florida Downtown Disney. I was so excited to have good fried foods. They had a dedicated fryer and everything.

#13 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:14 AM

This is a bean flour one. Just switch the beer for pop or soda water.

http://noglutenvegan...nion-rings.html

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#14 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:10 AM

That would be awesome! It was at the Raglan Road Irish pub in Florida Downtown Disney. I was so excited to have good fried foods. They had a dedicated fryer and everything.

Great! Now I will be able to tell him where exactly you ate it. I don't know which restaurant he works at but he should be able to talk to the chef at that one. They probably all have the same recipes. I know they are quite conscious of food allergies/sensitivities & very aware of things like cc. He has been proud to say he has never had anyone get cc'd from his food. And well he should be proud. It can't be easy with the # of people they serve per day!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#15 maryshe

maryshe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

We are really new at this gluten-free thing. I have tried to make chicken nuggets/strips in the oven and am not having luck.

But I have found that cutting boneless chicken breast into thin strips and rolling it in plain old cornstarch and frying in oil makes for crispy chicken nuggets that my kids love. The leftovers were still crunchy the next day.

I have also done this with boneless pork chops cut into strips. I think these are even better.

Sometimes the cheapest, simplest solution is the best. :)

Now if I can get this to work in the oven (less oil, healthier!), I will be so happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: