This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fried Chicken Nuggets --- Crispy! Help! Recipe Please!

squirmingitch

squirmingitch Veteran

I would really, really love to be able to make fried chicken nuggets that turn out crispy & stay crispy. So that you don't waste your time providing recipes that are not what I'm looking for, I will stipulate what I'm not looking for:

Please no recipes for mock fried chicken baked in an oven. I want something fried in oil.

Please no weird flavors. I don't want coconut chicken or anything like that.

Please no recipes for "hot" chicken. No recipes for Tabasco chicken.

I want some plain, regular, nothing fancy, nothing gourmet, deep fried in oil fried chicken.

I have been using a potato flour & white rice flour mixture but it just doesn't get it.

I will be forever in your debt if you can help me out. I have looked online & on this board & found everything BUT.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beachbirdie Contributor

I would really, really love to be able to make fried chicken nuggets that turn out crispy & stay crispy. So that you don't waste your time providing recipes that are not what I'm looking for, I will stipulate what I'm not looking for:

Please no recipes for mock fried chicken baked in an oven. I want something fried in oil.

Please no weird flavors. I don't want coconut chicken or anything like that.

Please no recipes for "hot" chicken. No recipes for Tabasco chicken.

I want some plain, regular, nothing fancy, nothing gourmet, deep fried in oil fried chicken.

I have been using a potato flour & white rice flour mixture but it just doesn't get it.

I will be forever in your debt if you can help me out. I have looked online & on this board & found everything BUT.

Wow. That's an interesting challenge!

I've not made them, but would sure love them!

I wonder if you could try doing a wheat-free tempura batter, which would be egg, cornstarch and a gluten-free flour mix (your rice flour would probably work). You would want to roll the chicken in your flour before dipping in batter so it will stick. For more texture, you could add some gluten-free breadcrumbs or some cornmeal or almond meal.

Hmmm...Open Original Shared Link at About.com!

catsmeow Contributor

I get what you are saying and I make chicken strips once a week, everyone devours them, even the kid's friends. Like you, I use to use potato starch, no rice flour though, and they tasted good, but were not browned and crispy the way I wanted them.

So, I switched to tapioca flour. I simply dredge chicken tenderloins in tapioca flour, fry it in my deep fat fryer for around 10 minutes, then dump them out on paper towels and salt them.

Recently, I started using a KFC recipe, and it is even better, I get a good thick crispy outer layer that really tastes like KFC. I made them last night and my husband devoured them until he was in a food coma. Everyone who eats them, regardless of gluten-free status or not, simply loves them. I never have leftovers!

KFC chicken tenderloins or nuggets

frozen chicken tenderloins thawed out (2.5 pound bag)

egg and milk mixture (one egg, and one cup milk, or milk substitute)

flour mixture:

2 cups tapioca flour

2 1/2 teaspoons salt

3/4 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon paprika

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon baking powder

dredge in flour mixture, then egg/milk mixture, then back in flour mixture. Throw into your deep fat fryer for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned and crispy. For nuggets, just cut chicken breast or tenderloins into pieces, fry till crispy and brown.

mushroom Proficient

Thanks for that. I have been after the same thing. I haven't tried tapioca.

Mizzo Enthusiast

I know you want tried and true but....although I have never fried these , they have baked crispy so I imagine they would fry great.

1st dredge in tapioca flour with salt , garlic powder and italian herb mix to taste

2nd in egg/milk mix,

3rd roll in well crushed corn chex . I blend them to get them small enough.

fry till done

freeatlast Collaborator

I absolutely LOVE Ian's chicken nuggets. You bake them. So good. Get mine at Whole Foods in the freezer section, but you're wanting to fry them. I GET that!

squirmingitch Veteran

THANK YOU ALL SOOOOO MUCH! I KNEW you would come through for me! I have been so frustrated trying to figure it out or find a recipe that was just plain, good old fried chicken. I didn't think of Tapioca flour. The potato flour leaves one with the distinct impression that you have just taken a bite of fried chicken as well as a french fry all in your mouth at one time. LOL! And while the potato/rice flour combo gets a little crispy in a few places; the crispy texture only lasts about 10 minutes.

I will have to order Tapioca flour online (small town here) unless I want to drive about 3 hrs. round trip (nooooooooooohmy.gif) to get some. But I'm looking forward to trying it! I'm going to try catsmeow's recipe first as that seems like it is closest to what I'm looking for. Plus I'm having to watch iodine & sals b/c of my dh rash so I can't use certain flours ---- yet. I didn't like using the potato flour as it contains potato skins which are high in iodine. But when ya gotta have fried chicken; ya GOTTA have fried chicken!

I'm a hopeful, happy girl this morning thanks to you guys!smile.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kwylee Apprentice

Here's another suggestion that I've used even before I had to go gluten free: rice crumbs. I always got them in the health food aisle at the grocery store. This isn't rice flour, but specifically rice crumbs. I find the finished product is like a finer grade panko, but really nice crunch. Not sure if it's what you're looking for but worth a try anyway.

I found a link for the brand I used. I just seasoned it like hell with salt and pepper or maybe herbs de provence, used a seasoned egg wash and double dipped into the crumbs. Really good. One note: I always put them in the freezer as soon as I purchased, kept them from getting stale or rancid - no preservatives.

Open Original Shared Link

squirmingitch Veteran

Here's another suggestion that I've used even before I had to go gluten free: rice crumbs. I always got them in the health food aisle at the grocery store. This isn't rice flour, but specifically rice crumbs. I find the finished product is like a finer grade panko, but really nice crunch. Not sure if it's what you're looking for but worth a try anyway.

I found a link for the brand I used. I just seasoned it like hell with salt and pepper or maybe herbs de provence, used a seasoned egg wash and double dipped into the crumbs. Really good. One note: I always put them in the freezer as soon as I purchased, kept them from getting stale or rancid - no preservatives.

Hmmmm...... interesting. Thanks kwylee!

Skylark Collaborator

When I was at Disney they said their deep frying batter had garbanzo bean flour and soda water. I don't know what other flours were in there but it was super-crispy and very good.

squirmingitch Veteran

When I was at Disney they said their deep frying batter had garbanzo bean flour and soda water. I don't know what other flours were in there but it was super-crispy and very good.

That's a very interesting piece of information Skylark. I know a chef at Disney ---- I think I'll just ask him for the recipe & post it here if he has it & can give it up.<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Skylark Collaborator

That would be awesome! It was at the Raglan Road Irish pub in Florida Downtown Disney. I was so excited to have good fried foods. They had a dedicated fryer and everything.

sora Community Regular

This is a bean flour one. Just switch the beer for pop or soda water.

squirmingitch Veteran

That would be awesome! It was at the Raglan Road Irish pub in Florida Downtown Disney. I was so excited to have good fried foods. They had a dedicated fryer and everything.

Great! Now I will be able to tell him where exactly you ate it. I don't know which restaurant he works at but he should be able to talk to the chef at that one. They probably all have the same recipes. I know they are quite conscious of food allergies/sensitivities & very aware of things like cc. He has been proud to say he has never had anyone get cc'd from his food. And well he should be proud. It can't be easy with the # of people they serve per day!

maryshe Newbie

We are really new at this gluten-free thing. I have tried to make chicken nuggets/strips in the oven and am not having luck.

But I have found that cutting boneless chicken breast into thin strips and rolling it in plain old cornstarch and frying in oil makes for crispy chicken nuggets that my kids love. The leftovers were still crunchy the next day.

I have also done this with boneless pork chops cut into strips. I think these are even better.

Sometimes the cheapest, simplest solution is the best. :)

Now if I can get this to work in the oven (less oil, healthier!), I will be so happy.

squirmingitch Veteran

We are really new at this gluten-free thing. I have tried to make chicken nuggets/strips in the oven and am not having luck.

But I have found that cutting boneless chicken breast into thin strips and rolling it in plain old cornstarch and frying in oil makes for crispy chicken nuggets that my kids love. The leftovers were still crunchy the next day.

I have also done this with boneless pork chops cut into strips. I think these are even better.

Now if I can get this to work in the oven (less oil, healthier!), I will be so happy.

I might just give that a go Mary. thanks!

Roda Rising Star

We do the same thing with the cornstarch. We like to season the corn starch first to add more flavor. They taste really good fried in coconut oil! My kids like to eat them plain and the hubby LOVES them diped in wing sauce.

PNW Rick Newbie

for the cornstarch coating are you using an egg/milk coating first? sorry for the basic question, new to cooking stuff like this but it sounds great.

Could it be panfried in oil, or is deepfrying the way to go?

Roda Rising Star

for the cornstarch coating are you using an egg/milk coating first? sorry for the basic question, new to cooking stuff like this but it sounds great.

I do dip the chicken in an egg/milk mixture first. You could pan fry or deep fry if you like.

maryshe Newbie

I have been just rolling the strips in cornstarch and frying in a little oil in a skillet. Nothing fancy. I guess you could use egg or milk for coating. My kid has SPD so the plainer the better here. I wouldn't mind some spiciness to them though. I guess you could also deep fry them if you want.

I did this with pork strips today. They were still a little frozen (easier to cut raw meat that way) and they came out fine.

squirmingitch Veteran

Hi all! Last night I tried 2 of the recipes. Catsmeow's tapioca starch recipe & maryshe's cornstarch recipe. Hey, I was frying..... might as well try 2 at one time.

I have to say they were both good. The tapioca one really did taste much like KFC! The coating was a little tough but I attribute that most likely to the fact that I don't use a fryer; I'm a cast iron, dutch oven fryer girl. Add to that the fact that we are renting fully furnished & my cast iron is in storage so I only have UGH! teflon to cook in & it makes it very difficult getting frying temps & times right.

The cornstarch worked like a dream. And it did stay crispy at least until after dinner when we promptly devoured what were to be the leftovers.laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

And Skylark, I haven't forgotten about the Disney fried chicken. I have an email in to the Disney chef. Waiting for reply.

catsmeow Contributor

Thanks for the review. I've never made mine in a skillet, and it is a dream in a deep fat fryer....just like KFC to me.

It's good to know that corn starch works well too, if I ever need to fry it in a pan versus my DFF, I'll do the cornstarch one. I wonder how it compares to the potato starch? I use to use it instead of the tapioca, and liked it. However, if cornstarch works, It would be better on the pocket book, the potato starch is a little spendy. Thanks again for the review! :)

genieb Newbie

I have good luck with either sorghum flour or brown rice flour. I think the brown rice is crispier but the sorghum is a really pretty brown. Other than that I fry chicken the way my mom taught me. I dip in egg/milk mixture then in flour with lemon pepper and paprika -- paprika helps with the browning. I double dip to get a nice thick crust. The key to frying anything is good hot oil -- otherwise the finished product will be greasy. Also be sure to let it drain on paper towels when you take it out of the oil.

Works with nuggets, tenders or regular bone in pieces of chicken.

squirmingitch Veteran

Thanks for the review. I've never made mine in a skillet, and it is a dream in a deep fat fryer....just like KFC to me.

It's good to know that corn starch works well too, if I ever need to fry it in a pan versus my DFF, I'll do the cornstarch one. I wonder how it compares to the potato starch? I use to use it instead of the tapioca, and liked it. However, if cornstarch works, It would be better on the pocket book, the potato starch is a little spendy. Thanks again for the review! :)

The cornstarch doesn't have any potato flavor & when fried up tastes like fried chicken done with wheat flour. Yes, the cornstarch is much easier on the pocketbook than tapioca flour. Also, the potato flour really, really stuck to your fingers, the bowl, anything it touched --- very difficult to get off. Cornstarch was easy peasy --- so was the tapioca.

BTW --- here's the Disney fried batter recipe that Skylark raved so about. I'm going to try it too.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/94041-disney-fry-batter-recipe/page__p__804005__fromsearch__1#entry804005

catsmeow Contributor

I know what you mean about potato flour...it's gross, I tried that one once when I was out of potato starch, which works excellent and does not have a potato taste. I'll bet the corn starch is the same way. I'm sure corn starch doesn't taste like corn....LOL

I am def going to try cornstarch in a pinch, but the tapioca thing is really good in a deep fat fryer, with super hot oil and then drained on paper towels. I just made them 10 min. ago and NOM NOM NOM....they are good, the family is polishing them off as I type.

Archived