Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Fried Chicken Nuggets --- Crispy! Help! Recipe Please!

• Please log in to reply

34 replies to this topic

#16 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

We are really new at this gluten-free thing. I have tried to make chicken nuggets/strips in the oven and am not having luck.

But I have found that cutting boneless chicken breast into thin strips and rolling it in plain old cornstarch and frying in oil makes for crispy chicken nuggets that my kids love. The leftovers were still crunchy the next day.

I have also done this with boneless pork chops cut into strips. I think these are even better.

Sometimes the cheapest, simplest solution is the best. :)

Now if I can get this to work in the oven (less oil, healthier!), I will be so happy.

I might just give that a go Mary. thanks!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

We are really new at this gluten-free thing. I have tried to make chicken nuggets/strips in the oven and am not having luck.

But I have found that cutting boneless chicken breast into thin strips and rolling it in plain old cornstarch and frying in oil makes for crispy chicken nuggets that my kids love. The leftovers were still crunchy the next day.

I have also done this with boneless pork chops cut into strips. I think these are even better.

Sometimes the cheapest, simplest solution is the best. :)

Now if I can get this to work in the oven (less oil, healthier!), I will be so happy.

We do the same thing with the cornstarch. We like to season the corn starch first to add more flavor. They taste really good fried in coconut oil! My kids like to eat them plain and the hubby LOVES them diped in wing sauce.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#18 PNW Rick

PNW Rick

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

for the cornstarch coating are you using an egg/milk coating first? sorry for the basic question, new to cooking stuff like this but it sounds great.

Could it be panfried in oil, or is deepfrying the way to go?
Celiac, EBV, CFS, Strep, Bronchitis and a fungus, all finally diagnosed on 5/22/2012.

#19 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

for the cornstarch coating are you using an egg/milk coating first? sorry for the basic question, new to cooking stuff like this but it sounds great.

I do dip the chicken in an egg/milk mixture first. You could pan fry or deep fry if you like.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#20 maryshe

maryshe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

I have been just rolling the strips in cornstarch and frying in a little oil in a skillet. Nothing fancy. I guess you could use egg or milk for coating. My kid has SPD so the plainer the better here. I wouldn't mind some spiciness to them though. I guess you could also deep fry them if you want.

I did this with pork strips today. They were still a little frozen (easier to cut raw meat that way) and they came out fine.

#21 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hi all! Last night I tried 2 of the recipes. Catsmeow's tapioca starch recipe & maryshe's cornstarch recipe. Hey, I was frying..... might as well try 2 at one time.
I have to say they were both good. The tapioca one really did taste much like KFC! The coating was a little tough but I attribute that most likely to the fact that I don't use a fryer; I'm a cast iron, dutch oven fryer girl. Add to that the fact that we are renting fully furnished & my cast iron is in storage so I only have UGH! teflon to cook in & it makes it very difficult getting frying temps & times right.

The cornstarch worked like a dream. And it did stay crispy at least until after dinner when we promptly devoured what were to be the leftovers.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

And Skylark, I haven't forgotten about the Disney fried chicken. I have an email in to the Disney chef. Waiting for reply.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#22 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the review. I've never made mine in a skillet, and it is a dream in a deep fat fryer....just like KFC to me.

It's good to know that corn starch works well too, if I ever need to fry it in a pan versus my DFF, I'll do the cornstarch one. I wonder how it compares to the potato starch? I use to use it instead of the tapioca, and liked it. However, if cornstarch works, It would be better on the pocket book, the potato starch is a little spendy. Thanks again for the review! :)
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#23 genieb

genieb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

I have good luck with either sorghum flour or brown rice flour. I think the brown rice is crispier but the sorghum is a really pretty brown. Other than that I fry chicken the way my mom taught me. I dip in egg/milk mixture then in flour with lemon pepper and paprika -- paprika helps with the browning. I double dip to get a nice thick crust. The key to frying anything is good hot oil -- otherwise the finished product will be greasy. Also be sure to let it drain on paper towels when you take it out of the oil.

Works with nuggets, tenders or regular bone in pieces of chicken.

#24 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for the review. I've never made mine in a skillet, and it is a dream in a deep fat fryer....just like KFC to me.

It's good to know that corn starch works well too, if I ever need to fry it in a pan versus my DFF, I'll do the cornstarch one. I wonder how it compares to the potato starch? I use to use it instead of the tapioca, and liked it. However, if cornstarch works, It would be better on the pocket book, the potato starch is a little spendy. Thanks again for the review! :)

The cornstarch doesn't have any potato flavor & when fried up tastes like fried chicken done with wheat flour. Yes, the cornstarch is much easier on the pocketbook than tapioca flour. Also, the potato flour really, really stuck to your fingers, the bowl, anything it touched --- very difficult to get off. Cornstarch was easy peasy --- so was the tapioca.

BTW --- here's the Disney fried batter recipe that Skylark raved so about. I'm going to try it too.

http://www.celiac.co...__1#entry804005

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#25 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

I know what you mean about potato flour...it's gross, I tried that one once when I was out of potato starch, which works excellent and does not have a potato taste. I'll bet the corn starch is the same way. I'm sure corn starch doesn't taste like corn....LOL

I am def going to try cornstarch in a pinch, but the tapioca thing is really good in a deep fat fryer, with super hot oil and then drained on paper towels. I just made them 10 min. ago and NOM NOM NOM....they are good, the family is polishing them off as I type.
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#26 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

I think if I had my cast iron dutch oven everything would turn out better. I know exactly when the oil is the perfect temp.; been doing it so long it's second nature to me. UGH! When we get those things out of storage I'm going to have to go through a process to de-gluten them & then re-season them.Posted Image

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#27 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

I see you have plenty of good advice but I thought I'd throw mine out there. We batter everything in egg and roll in the gluten free bisquik. I make the best motzerella sticks that way, too. Just buy the string cheese...dip in egg, bisquik, egg, bisquik and deep fry. (double battering keeps the batter from just floating off in the deep fryer) I don't double batter my chicken though. All the "reg" eaters in the house all love it...can't tell the difference. I just made fried donut holes with it this morning rolled in powdered sugar. We are in the South and deep fry everything. : )

#28 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

I see you have plenty of good advice but I thought I'd throw mine out there. We batter everything in egg and roll in the gluten free bisquik. I make the best motzerella sticks that way, too. Just buy the string cheese...dip in egg, bisquik, egg, bisquik and deep fry. (double battering keeps the batter from just floating off in the deep fryer) I don't double batter my chicken though. All the "reg" eaters in the house all love it...can't tell the difference. I just made fried donut holes with it this morning rolled in powdered sugar. We are in the South and deep fry everything. : )

Oh dear Lord, fried donut holes......
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#29 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

My mom was born in Montgomery, Al. as was I & we deep fry everything too. Pork chops, zuchinni, yellow crookneck squash, bell peppers. Hubs & I have (had) a saying: Deep fry a paper towel - we'll eat it! LOL!
I used to make something called Ollie Bollins which were somewhat like donut holes only even better. So now you have to give me the donut hole recipe - please. Posted Image

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#30 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

This has been an awesome thread! So many great ideas!

Thanks for trying them and reporting back, squirmingitch! It's great to know you got what you needed.

Aren't the folks on this forum just the best?!?!?!? :D
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: