Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Is This Enough?

3 posts in this topic

Finally got my sons to get the blood tests. I am agitated b/c I specifically stated that I wanted them to have the full celiac panel. When they went to the lab, they also stated they wanted it. Our local hospital sends the blood to a hospital in a larger city to be tested. They DID NOT do the full panel b/c they said the first part of the test did not indicate any celiac so it was not necessary. Here is what Dusty's lab report says (sorry for the length):

"Celiac Disease Panel Reflex to Titer

IMMUNOGLOBULIN A. Serum 162 mg/dL Reference Interval:68-378

Endomysial Antibody,IgA with reflex to titer (00-50734) to follow:

Client Comments:m00067501

LIS#: 20221418/GCH

Endomysial Antibody, IgA with Reflex to Titer

ENDOMYSIAL Ab, IgA Screen None Detected

ENDOMYSIAL Ab, IgA Titer NOT DONE

Because the Endomysial Ab,IgA screen was negative, the Endoymsial Ab IgA titer was not performed.

TEST INFORMATION:Endomysial Ab, IgA

Endomysial antibodies are screened using an ELISA tissue transglutaminase (tTG) assay. All samples which are positive are titered by IFA. The endomysial antigen has been identified as the protein cross-linking enzym"e known as tissue transglutaminase."

(Darin's report said the same thing except his level was 95 mg/dL) Is this enough info for me to be satisfied that they do not have celiac or should more testing be done to be sure? Thanks so much for your help as this really concerns me. :)

Well, that's not the full panel. They didn't do the anti-gliandin IgG or IgA. As for the "test not done" bit - I think all that's saying is that because it was negative, they didn't to the test that would give you a number.

Because the Endomysial Ab,IgA screen was negative, the Endoymsial Ab IgA titer was not performed.

TEST INFORMATION:Endomysial Ab, IgA

Endomysial antibodies are screened using an ELISA tissue transglutaminase (tTG) assay.

I would request the tissue transglutaminase (tTG) to be done. I'm assuming from the above statement, that it was not done. This test is highly specific for celiac disease and should most definatly be used to test for celiac. If your doctor and lab won't do it, then maybe find someone who will?