2 replies to this topic

#1 cmom

cmom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:37 PM

Finally got my sons to get the blood tests. I am agitated b/c I specifically stated that I wanted them to have the full celiac panel. When they went to the lab, they also stated they wanted it. Our local hospital sends the blood to a hospital in a larger city to be tested. They DID NOT do the full panel b/c they said the first part of the test did not indicate any celiac so it was not necessary. Here is what Dusty's lab report says (sorry for the length):
"Celiac Disease Panel Reflex to Titer
IMMUNOGLOBULIN A. Serum 162 mg/dL Reference Interval:68-378
Endomysial Antibody,IgA with reflex to titer (00-50734) to follow:
Client Comments:m00067501
LIS#: 20221418/GCH
Endomysial Antibody, IgA with Reflex to Titer
ENDOMYSIAL Ab, IgA Screen None Detected
ENDOMYSIAL Ab, IgA Titer NOT DONE
Because the Endomysial Ab,IgA screen was negative, the Endoymsial Ab IgA titer was not performed.
TEST INFORMATION:Endomysial Ab, IgA
Endomysial antibodies are screened using an ELISA tissue transglutaminase (tTG) assay. All samples which are positive are titered by IFA. The endomysial antigen has been identified as the protein cross-linking enzym"e known as tissue transglutaminase."
(Darin's report said the same thing except his level was 95 mg/dL) Is this enough info for me to be satisfied that they do not have celiac or should more testing be done to be sure? Thanks so much for your help as this really concerns me. :)
Robin from Indiana

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:31 AM

Well, that's not the full panel. They didn't do the anti-gliandin IgG or IgA. As for the "test not done" bit - I think all that's saying is that because it was negative, they didn't to the test that would give you a number.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:40 AM

Because the Endomysial Ab,IgA screen was negative, the Endoymsial Ab IgA titer was not performed.
TEST INFORMATION:Endomysial Ab, IgA
Endomysial antibodies are screened using an ELISA tissue transglutaminase (tTG) assay.

I would request the tissue transglutaminase (tTG) to be done. I'm assuming from the above statement, that it was not done. This test is highly specific for celiac disease and should most definatly be used to test for celiac. If your doctor and lab won't do it, then maybe find someone who will?
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: