20 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

I am going grain free because of symptoms not resolving. I am very allergic to corn and now I am suspecting rice. I am not sure if the rice is CC with corn from the enrichment or cleaning process or what but I do know that I am reacting.

Those of you who are grain free, why did you go grain free and did it help?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

When I went gluten free a year and a half ago, my diarrhea improved significantly. However, a year later, I still had problems—not major, but still not normal. In trying to decide what to eliminate next, corn or soy, I opted to spend the money and do the EnteroLab food test. My problem foods?—not the corn or soy, but rather oats and rice (my “go to” food that I ate every day). Since eliminating rice three months ago, I have not had to use Immodium at all.

However, I was still left with bloating and edema. Three weeks ago I decided to eliminate all grains and starches. My bloating and edema left and as a bonus, my energy levels increased significantly. I miss my crackers and chips, but I would rather feel good.

#3 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

The gluten-free grains were not working for me. Some quinoa products gave me horrible stomach pains, which I subsequently learned was probably due to the saponin coating and it not being thoroughly rinsed off. The rice breads and pastas were ok but made me feel groggy after eating, which I think was due to high carb high glycemic content and the resulting insulin spike. Research and this board led me to the paleo diet and after reading Cordain's book I decided to give it a try. I am about 5 months in and feeling great, my numbers on my last comprehensive metabolic panel and lipids were all solidly in the normal range. Even lost my "spare tire". Very labor intensive though. It seems I am always in the kitchen either washing vegetables or chopping or cooking or washing dishes (or eating). Good luck.
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#4 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

I went grain free about 3 wks ago as an experiment to try and eliminate some overall inflammation and heal a leaky gut.

So far, my stomach/intestinal issues seem to have subsided.

I am losing weight.

Having less intense cravings for junk food.

And my adult acne has cleared up.

Feeling pretty good and may continue eating this way. I went gluten free about 15 months ago after being dx celiac. Casein free about 2 months ago when I noticed it affected my acne. Now eating "primal" so no grains, sugar or legumes.

Before I would have thought I would starve to death, but I am learning there is all kinds of healthy, non-inflammatory foods that I had ignored for years!

#5 woodnewt

woodnewt

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

I am going grain free because of symptoms not resolving. I am very allergic to corn and now I am suspecting rice. I am not sure if the rice is CC with corn from the enrichment or cleaning process or what but I do know that I am reacting.

Those of you who are grain free, why did you go grain free and did it help?

When I initially went gluten-free I was fine with other grains (rice, corn, millet) and pseudograins (quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth). However, after a CC issue a few years ago, even after eliminating all sources of gluten, I could not gain weight and still felt overall very fatigued and ill. Eliminating grains (and other problematic foods) has resulted in a complete turn-around in my health.

#6 benXX

benXX

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

I've been grain/dairy/legumes/sugar/alcohol free too. Felt really great and was never hungry. But sfter losing 14kg/30lbs, I had to stop, can't afford to lose any more weight.

Does anyone know a way to be on this diet and not lose weight? I really would love to go back on it.
Ben (58)

Diagnosed Celiac 12-Apr-2012
Dairy intolerant, B12 malabsorption, Bile acid malabsorption.
Osteopania
Lifetime of misdiagnoses.

2008-2011 Lived in Thailand, almost symptom free.
Now only eat Thai food.
Easy to cook - gluten/dairy free - delicious

#7 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

After cutting all grain:

I sensed that my energy level increased. My mood is better, atleast when I am not having withdrawl symptoms. I feel strong. Some numbness I had might be going away. My gums are toughening. I believe I am losing edema. My body feels firm instead of sqishy. I am losing inches in my abdomen, but maybe not losing much weight. I recommend trying it. One can use almond and coconut flour. I found information about it on the Gluten Free Society website.

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

I've been grain/dairy/legumes/sugar/alcohol free too. Felt really great and was never hungry. But sfter losing 14kg/30lbs, I had to stop, can't afford to lose any more weight.

Does anyone know a way to be on this diet and not lose weight? I really would love to go back on it.

Even eating rice (my only grain), I have been losing weight like crazy. Now that I'm where I want to be, I have started eating more ice cream (!) to try to stop the weight loss. I know you can't do that because you are off sugar. I think the only way to stop losing for you would be to eat more meat. I have done that too, and between ice cream for breakfast (Now THERE'S something worth getting out of bed for!) and some homegrown beef I got from a local rancher, I have stayed at 133 pounds for a month now.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#9 cait

cait

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:29 AM

After a year gluten free, I had lost the massive improvement I'd experienced when first gluten-free, and was going downhill. We're doing a slightly less strict version of the Whole 30 diet, so no sugar, grains, legumes, or alcohol (I didn't drink anyway, so that part is easy at least). I was miserable for the first week or so, but then my energy picked up, and I'm definitely experiencing improvement. I hate it because I just don't like meat that much, it's pretty limiting (but I'm also doing a rotation diet along with it, so that adds to the limiting), and I miss chocolate. But I feel better, so I'm sticking to it and hoping that at some point I'll be able to add other things back in.
Dad has Celiac
Neg Celiac tests, positive gene test
Life vastly improved off gluten
Dunno what that makes me, but I'm not going back.
Now corn, soy, and dairy free

#10 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

It helped me. I can't really say when since it's been a continuous process with some grain here and there.

#11 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

I went grain free because eating anything containing grains was making me very sick, for various reasons. I had to avoid other foods, too, but I have tried to reintroduce grains a few times, very carefully sourced, and it still makes me sick again.

I'm growing some in my garden to see if small amounts of homegrown grains might do all right.

If I don't keep grains out of my diet, my body goes wacko. With corn I get constipation with rapid weight gain (10 pounds in a week kind of gain). I get severe insomnia, anger and anxiety problems and joint pain. With the other grains, I get diarrhea with weight loss, and then all the other issues I get with corn, but lesser in severity, IMO.

These symptoms with grain have, I think, always been there, but they've grown worse since going gluten free. So going grain free has had a very positive affect on my health.

I'm not sure, to be honest, but I know what worked for me:
First, I got tested for other allergies via testing and an elimination diet. Grains make me lose weight rapidly, but it turns out a couple of allergens - which I didn't even know I was allergic to because I don't get hives - make me lose weight like crazy, too. When I stop eating the allergen, I stopped losing weight. When I ate grains, they could keep this weight loss at bay, so the loss was more noticeable when I went off of them.

The second thing was to keep track of my calories and nutrients. For nutrients, there were those that grains are fortified with that I had to make sure I was getting somewhere else. And as for calories, eating enough calories to maintain my weight was easy to do with grains, but without grains, I had to pay attention more. In fact, I had to ignore most of the dietary advice floating around for proper health.

I needed more red meat and more oils and fats. Without eating enough meat, I would feel progressively worse - I couldn't get access to much meat at one point for just a week or two and I felt SO terrible. My weight drops when I don't get enough and I start to feel weak.

I'm dairy and egg free, too, so meat is my main source of calories, proteins, and fats. When I started introducing other carbs, like potatoes, that didn't make as much of a difference in my weight as making sure I got enough meat. It's been a real change, because I was never a big meat eater, ever. And now, I eat a ton of it.

Another aspect is that without grains to complete the partial proteins of my legumes, I had to either eat meat as my sole protein source, or to make sure I was getting a complete amino acid 'protein' from nuts and seeds combined with my legumes. It was difficult eating and affording the quantity of nuts and seeds required to make this work for beans very often. I still do it periodically, but meat is cheaper and easier, frankly.

I don't know that this is what would work for everyone, honestly. I don't have any cholesterol problems, nor any heart disease or high-cholesterol running in my family. That might make this harder to do, you know? But it made a difference for me. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#12 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

I tried GAPS, which is grain-free. GAPS didn't work out very well because I'm sensitive to the sauerkraut (oops) but I learned that I do well eating low-starch. I find I'm more tired if I eat a lot of starchy food. I seem to do best with no more than 1/3c of cooked rice or 1/2 a small potato worth of starch about once a day. More than that leaves me sleepy and oddly enough makes my asthma worse; I suspect it just leads to some general inflammation.

#13 RuskitD

RuskitD

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

I went gluten-free and was doing well on other grains. Within one month, I began having symptoms of glutening, only they came from gluten free grains. I do not believe it was CC.
My 'dear diary' and elimination/reintroduction diet showed me that my body HATED corn and soy. Rice was iffy.
So I quit all grains, and all forms of them. Even sweet corn! Also checking any supplements for them (which really cuts out a lot of them!)

I have not lost an ounce by not having grains.
I have lost a few inches of inflammation in my stomach (swelling). Yet scales have not moved.

However, I don't have gastric disturbances any more either.
I was fairly low carb and very little processed foods before going gluten-free, so my body didn't have the 'shake up' of suddenly not having carbs and then dropping weight.

I won't even try to reincorporate grains into my diet. I don't miss them enough to bother.

#14 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

Have you tried eating more healthy fats? Coconut oil, eggs with the yolk, nuts, olive oil, avocados, oily fish, and seeds are all healthy can help keep weight on. I don't skim fat off soups/stews either, making them richer. Fruit can help add some more slowly metabolized carbs.

#15 benXX

benXX

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Have you tried eating more healthy fats? Coconut oil, eggs with the yolk, nuts, olive oil, avocados, oily fish, and seeds are all healthy can help keep weight on. I don't skim fat off soups/stews either, making them richer. Fruit can help add some more slowly metabolized carbs.

I use coconut oil whenever possible; for stir frying use palm-oil and for salads virgen olive oil. I love Tilapia and Panga fish, great Thai recipes out there, but these are river fish. Love river prawn too. My DH indicates not to overdo on iodine-rich (=sea) products, although have never tested it. The smell of iodine turns me off, which I see as a body warning sign.

A lot of animal fat and huge amounts of meat are not an option now, my celiac symptoms indicate that my ileum (last part of small intestine) is not working well. One of them is that my bile acid is not recycled properly, damaging my colon (psyllium fiber helps greatly in protecting my colon though).
When I was on the Paleo diet before, I did eat more meat; fish and eggs than usual, but would get nausea and flatulent when overdoing it.
The weight loss was welcome, until I got to the point that continuing on Paleo would turn me into underweight and sadly had to decide to stop.

Besides the gluten and dairy intolerance, I don't have any other food intolerance or allergies. I take vitamin/mineral supplements and get B12 injections. Blood analysis showed that everything is OK there.

I guess I just need to wait until my villi are sufficiently restored; my food is better digested and I gain some weight, before I can go back on the Paleo diet again.
Have only been gluten free for 2,5 months since my dx.

Thanks for the help.
Ben (58)

Diagnosed Celiac 12-Apr-2012
Dairy intolerant, B12 malabsorption, Bile acid malabsorption.
Osteopania
Lifetime of misdiagnoses.

2008-2011 Lived in Thailand, almost symptom free.
Now only eat Thai food.
Easy to cook - gluten/dairy free - delicious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: