This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did Celiac Come Back?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Has he ever had any other GI testing done? Celiac was just the "tip of the iceburg" for my son.

Yes. The only issues ever confirmed by testing (poor kid has had tons, both blood and scopes) was acid reflux and celiac disease. All of that was done in the first round when he was extremely sick. Nothing like caring your child home from the hospital as he pukes barium on you btw. You should try it! :( Stuff memories are made of I guess :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mom2J112903 Newbie

Yes. The only issues ever confirmed by testing (poor kid has had tons, both blood and scopes) was acid reflux and celiac disease. All of that was done in the first round when he was extremely sick. Nothing like caring your child home from the hospital as he pukes barium on you btw. You should try it! :( Stuff memories are made of I guess :lol:

I have done that numerous times. Also been "christned" with 12hr old formula too.

We have had numerous EGDs, two colonoscopies, two UGIs, one SBFT, one lower GI, one barrium enema and a swallow study. Also been under for tonsils, adenoids (different ages) and oral surgery.

So yeah, combine all of my son's GI problems with anesthesia and I have been puked on more than I care to admit. It was a nightly routine for DH and the little man to take showers while he was still getting fed thru the night. Boy did we have the cleanest kiddo around! :P

VydorScope Proficient

I have done that numerous times. Also been "christned" with 12hr old formula too.

We have had numerous EGDs, two colonoscopies, two UGIs, one SBFT, one lower GI, one barrium enema and a swallow study. Also been under for tonsils, adenoids (different ages) and oral surgery.

So yeah, combine all of my son's GI problems with anesthesia and I have been puked on more than I care to admit. It was a nightly routine for DH and the little man to take showers while he was still getting fed thru the night. Boy did we have the cleanest kiddo around! :P

Yeah some how in all the classes we were in that talked about child care before my son was born they seemed to somehow skip the sections on this stuff. Also it really would have been good to mention that stomach acid puked on to your shirt will bleach it out. Real surival skills, IMO.

:lol:;)

VydorScope Proficient

Losing ground... not sure why. There was one possible point which his food might have gotten contaminated, so we are holding on that. If he starts turning around again and getting better then we can mark it off to that, but otherwise... have to wonder if we are on the right path or not now.

So today Tim is saying he is better again. Other then the place mate thing the one thing I have to suspect is the pasta. It is "Tinkyada Vegetable Spirals" which he has had twice and both times complained of stomach pains/etc after. Might be coincidence, i know they are a very well respected company on this forum, but it is a common factor here. It was cooked in brand new pot, and we used a brand new colander and a brand new serving spoon. He only likes butter on it, and we used his Earth Balance palm oil based butter.

Again could be a coincidence... just reaching here really. He really likes them, and has asked for them a few times now so I would hate for them to be the issue.

GFinDC Veteran

He dumped his gluten-free gummies out on to a place mat and it was not till he was already eating that I realized he was using one we had not gotten to in our degluten the house project quite yet. I do not know if it had gluten on it, but it is possible.

That could do it I suppose. I got sick from using a toaster after I first went gluten-free that hadn't been changed out. It doesn't take much.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi V, might he be sensitive to the veggie powders they use? Does he do ok with carrot, tomato and spinach?

Tinkyada is really safe as far as gluten cross contamination goes, as they are a completely dedicated facility.

That said, there could be something in that particular variety that doesn't sit well with him. Just throwing this out there but sometimes tomato products contain sulphates. Is he generally ok with tomato?

Sesara Rookie

So today Tim is saying he is better again. Other then the place mate thing the one thing I have to suspect is the pasta. It is "Tinkyada Vegetable Spirals" which he has had twice and both times complained of stomach pains/etc after. Might be coincidence, i know they are a very well respected company on this forum, but it is a common factor here. It was cooked in brand new pot, and we used a brand new colander and a brand new serving spoon. He only likes butter on it, and we used his Earth Balance palm oil based butter.

Again could be a coincidence... just reaching here really. He really likes them, and has asked for them a few times now so I would hate for them to be the issue.

Remember that in Celiac's, there is a much higher likelihood of developing other food allergies/sensitivities as well, unfortunately. Sometimes it is temporary while the gut is healing, an effect of your overstimulated immune system, and sometimes it is a permanent sensitivity. I would look at the overall ingredient list and see if there are any other top allergens found in the pasta, and I would also see if that appears in any other foods that your son might be sensitive to.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom2J112903 Newbie

Yes, stomach acid does allll sorts of lovely things to clothing <_< And in our case burns nostrils when you smell it :o

I would be looking at the other ingrediants in the pasta. It has been too long for me to remember the ingrediants in it, although that was our FAVORITE brand of pasta to buy and eat. Veggies here are BAD, BAD, BAD for my son. That is what hurts the most about him not being able to eat. He LOVED the stupid things! Spinach and feta cheese was one of his favorite snacks. Now don't get me wrong he loved his hot-dogs, fish sticks and pizza but he LOVED spinach! I know, strange munchkin child I have :P

Archived