Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Almond Butter Vs Peanut Butter

16 posts in this topic

I am recently diagnosed with celiac. I have started reading some books on the subject, and have noticed references to almond butter instead of peanut butter. Is is preferred over peanut butter for someone with celiac? I have been eating a lot of peanut butter and am wondering if I need to switch.

Ads by Google:

Many brands of peanut butter are gluten free, but I have read that peanut butter can have a high fungus count. Therefore, I prefer to buy almond butter (though I don't like it as much).

There is nothing wrong with eating peanut butter or almond butter in regards to gluten or celiac.

Almond butter has more protein, I believe.

Also, you posted this in the Board/forum technical help section, so I am going to move it to the products section, so you can get more responses! :) okee dokee?

I read somewhere that some celiacs...(not everyone...SOME), have trouble with peanuts and some other foods because the chemical make up of peanuts...(and suposedly coffee) are simular to gluten and when the body is all up in arms about gluten ( as in a flare up....Or when your trying to DETOX for the first time)it has trouble telling the difference bettween THAT and GLUTEN! (and will attack everything in sight LOL!) :blink::rolleyes:

Personally...sometimes peanuts set great...other times they give me a wicked stomacheache! But I allways thought it was the OIL in them that irritated my tumtum!

Same with coffee! most times no problem...other times wicked stomacheache...but then I tend to abuse my soy based creamer, and am developing an aversion to SOY! :ph34r::o:lol:

I find almond butter to dry...it allways sticks in my throat and makes me choke!

I love almondmilk though...use it in Everything! Blue diamond sweetened vanilla (tastes like vanilla icecream and waffle cones) makes a great creamer substitude for my coffee!...its no hazelnut...but its not bad!LOL :P

Oh...and ALMONDS/almondmilk...has more calcium than dairy milk and more potassium! so its REALLY good for Celiacs...since most of us have to cut out dairy! :D

No, there is no "chemical similarity" between peanuts and coffee and gluten. Please do not start that coffee thing again.

If someone has trouble digesting peanuts, it's because they are having trouble digesting peanuts.

If they cannot digest coffee, it is because they cannot digest coffee.

That's it.

I also think that a lot of people, once they start really looking at what they're eating, start to choose foods with less chemicals, or better for you. I eat peanut butter. :)

No, there is no "chemical similarity" between peanuts and coffee and gluten. Please do not start that coffee thing again.

If someone has trouble digesting peanuts, it's because they are having trouble digesting peanuts.

If they cannot digest coffee, it is because they cannot digest coffee.

That's it.

All right...but thats what I read! The site was pretty reputable too! but if thats the

stand this site wants, thats fine with me...but I was just saying what I saw!

And your right...sorry...God knows I don't want to start that COFFEE thing AGAIN! LOL! :blink::lol::P Hadn't thought of that! LOL!That was a disaster! ...funny...but a disaster! :unsure::blink::lol::D

All right...but thats what I read! The site was pretty reputable too! but if thats the

stand this site wants, thats fine with me...but I was just saying what I saw!

Hon, I see lots of things on the internet, but it doesn't make them true. I saw a cream advertised that claims it will make me look 20 again. They even had "proof" and some articles for me to read. I do not think it will work. :D

and just a P.S.

I am not speaking for anyone else on the site nor is this "the stand this site wants", (I am not in charge here) :lol: I am just saying that we have already discussed that topic to death and there is NO SCIENCE to it.

Almond butter makes me sick. It's taste thing. I like almonds, just not almond butter.

However, sit me down with a jar of peanut butter and it'll be gone faster than you can SAY peanut butter.

I hope there's no similarity cuz I love coffee and peanut butter.

I hope there's no similarity cuz I love coffee and peanut butter.

I wouldn't worry about it...people can react to most anything and everything, especially if they're newly diagnosed.

I have no problem with either coffee or peanut butter.

I wouldn't worry about it...people can react to most anything and everything, especially if they're newly diagnosed.

I have no problem with either coffee or peanut butter.

Sometimes I do...sometimes I don't! LOL! :blink::rolleyes::lol:

But like I said before...I just think when the TumTums sensetive...oils n' stuff is gonna iretate it! LOL! :ph34r::P

HaHaHa :lol: ...Most Celiacs I know...don't have ANY problem with COFFEE...LOL!!!

You GUYS are a bunch of COFFEEholics..LOL!!!! :D:D:D

....My self included...of course! :P

My nutritionist recommended it to me over peanut butter but after she assessed my condition of being underweight with constipation and my diet restrictions of no wheat, oats, corn, soy, or lactose. Compared to peanut butter it is supposed to have more fiber, calcium, potassium, iron and manganese with about half the saturated fat. And in total fat almond butter has a little more.

I had never tried almond butter before but now I love the stuff. I was never much of a peanut butter liker and almond butter has a milder taste to me. I always especially liked almonds but for some reason I just don't like the taste of almond milk.

There is nothing wrong with eating peanut butter or almond butter in regards to gluten or celiac.

Almond butter has more protein, I believe.

Also, you posted this in the Board/forum technical help section, so I am going to move it to the products section, so you can get more responses! :) okee dokee?

Thanks! I'm new to this site :)

Thanks! I'm new to this site :)

You're welcome, hon! ;) And welcome to the Forum!!

And just like a lot of other things, it depends on the brand you try as well. I tried a couple different brands - some I loved, some I hated! If I hadn't tried others after the ones I hated, I would never have found my new favorite midday protein snack! I love Justin's, but also just recently found Barney Butter - totally different flavor! Tastes like a mild peanut butter and I think it will mix better in smoothies (I hope - picking some up at WF to try tonight). I have problems with yeast and mold, so I was told to stay away from peanuts/peanut butter.