53 replies to this topic

#1 heidi b

heidi b

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

I am the only non-celiac in our family. Our house is gluten-free. I would like to buy gluten-containing frozen meals on my way to work for my lunches. Other members of the family think there could be gluten on the outside of the food box or that some crumbs might spill out in a wreck. I think that if I keep the food boxes tied up inside a bag while it is in the car that the car should still be safe for the celiacs to ride in. What do you think?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

I think you are very conscientious...and that your celiacs are all safe. Just my own opinion....

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

I'm celiac and I ride in my friends' cars all the time without worrying about gluten from their groceries. I don't see any issue.

#4 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:42 AM

I am the only non-celiac in our family. Our house is gluten-free. I would like to buy gluten-containing frozen meals on my way to work for my lunches. Other members of the family think there could be gluten on the outside of the food box or that some crumbs might spill out in a wreck. I think that if I keep the food boxes tied up inside a bag while it is in the car that the car should still be safe for the celiacs to ride in. What do you think?

IMHO, Show some LOVE for family members and honor their requests... Gluten most likely isn't any good for you either...
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

I do not see how FROZEN meals, packed inside a plastic bag could possibly have any "loose gluten" on the outside of the package.

I honestly think there is no need to worry about it.

Keep them in a plastic bag in the trunk--if that would make them feel better.

We sometimes purchase gluten-filled groceries for an elderly aunt all the time, and I have no issues whatsoever from it and I am very sensitive to trace gluten.

Her frozen lean cuisines (gasp) even touch my stuff!!! :)

I would not be inclined to pick up a bag of wheat flour for her, however, as those tend to leak. (Nor would she ask me to.)

And finally, if your car is "in a wreck", your frozen meals possibly opening up and spilling out--is the least of your worries.

Your family is right to be cautious about CC, but in this case, they are being unnecessarily overly-fearful. IMHO

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

IMHO, Show some LOVE for family members and honor their requests... Gluten most likely isn't any good for you either...

Talk about guilting people into being overly compliant when there isn't any issue! This has nothing to do with love and not everyone has a problem with gluten. If the food is being carried in a bag from the grocery store, there is no issue at all.
Have some common sense people! <_<

#7 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

Talk about guilting people into being overly compliant when there isn't any issue! This has nothing to do with love and not everyone has a problem with gluten. If the food is being carried in a bag from the grocery store, there is no issue at all.

I agree! I would think her family buys food from a grocery. Or TP from a Walmart. Do they wash every bag and package before they take it in thier car?I suspect the family just wants to guilt the OP into eating gluten-free away from home. Perhaps they suspect that's for the OP's own good?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

The "in a wreck and gluten spilling out" is really over-the-top. I agree with you that capitulating to this and not buying frozen food for work (that isn't even stored in the freezer) is enabling overly fearful behavior. We're in places with gluten all the time like grocery stores, our workplace where people eat bagels and donuts, friends' homes, restaurants, and cars. None of these situations pose any risk unless we're eating the food. (Give or take RARE allergic or anxiety reactions in the bread aisle.) It's important be realistic about what can cause issues for someone with celiac like getting crumbs in the butter, compared to safe things like transporting a boxed frozen dinner in a bag to work. To be completely honest, it occurred to me to wonder how your family would even know?

Heck, last time my picky nephews visited they wanted waffles and I didn't want normal Bisquik in the kitchen. I bought Eggos, kept them in the freezer, cooked them in the toaster oven, and put the toaster oven rack through the dishwasher afterwards. No big deal and I didn't get CC'd. You just have to use common sense.

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

I tried so hard not use the word "paranoid" in my first reply, but since everyone else is chiming in here...what the heck.

They are being paranoid!!!

We do not know why you are not gluten-free like the rest of your family (and it is none of our business either) but do not let them push you around with guilt, honey.

I was trying to picture any scenario where possible gluten from a frozen meal could harm me as I ride in your car, even if we had a car crash, :rolleyes: and having it somehow magically open, defrost, then spill onto the seat and then what? absorb into my butt?? or by some bizarre twist of fate ---fly into mouth?? Ain't gonna happen.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#10 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Gemini, Do you know what IMHO means??? After suffering with undiagnosed Celiac & DH for 50 plus years, I can call it LOVE.... Some here may not respect my IMHO either, but so be it... Some here haven't suffered enough either... I say, Spread the Love to Family Members...

#11 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Have the gluten-free family members ever considered gluten hands touching gluten-free canned goods in the store? Ooooooooo maybe they need to walk around wearing disposable medical gloves so they don't touch anything that gluten hands have touched. Or how about bags of flour breaking & spilling in the store room of the food warehouse or the grocery store back room & flour dust settling on everything in there? Maybe the gluten-free ought to live in a bubble like bubble boy on Seinfeld. Am I being over the top? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To the OP, WHATEVER you do, don't DARE mention the scenarios I just put forth --- they are likely to go to those lengths to protect themselves.
I stand with everyone except captaincrab. Take your frozen meals in the bag in the car. The celiacs in your family are being ridiculous.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#12 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Gemini, Do you know what IMHO means??? After suffering with undiagnosed Celiac & DH for 50 plus years, I can call it LOVE.... Some here may not respect my IMHO either, but so be it... Some here haven't suffered enough either... I say, Spread the Love to Family Members...

When I first read the post I was reminded of a friend with OCD I used to help. She was obsessed with the possibility of germs on food boxes and when she shopped she would wear gloves, line the shopping cart with bags, wipe off the conveyer belt at the checkout, and double-bag all her food. She wanted me to do the same when I shopped for her. Her therapist told me shop the way I do for myself and NOT lie to her that I was doing these crazy things. (I was lying to simply get food into her apartment; this woman was severely disabled.) The problem is, if we agree to irrational and fearful requests, we continue to enable and encourage the fear. That's not an act of love. That's lazy and destructive and doesn't allow the people around us to face their fears and grow out of them.

There is NO DANGER to a person with celiac putting a frozen dinner in a bag in the car on the way to work. Period. It's pure irrational fear and the family member who is worried about this really needs a firm and loving reality check. It's stressful enough avoiding situations where there is a real danger of being glutened; creating danger out of safe situations will be detrimental to this person's mental health in the long term.

#13 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

When I first read the post I was reminded of a friend with OCD I used to help. She was obsessed with the possibility of germs on food boxes and when she shopped she would wear gloves, line the shopping cart with bags, wipe off the conveyer belt at the checkout, and double-bag all her food. She wanted me to do the same when I shopped for her. Her therapist told me shop the way I do for myself and NOT lie to her that I was doing these crazy things. (I was lying to simply get food into her apartment; this woman was severely disabled.) The problem is, if we agree to irrational and fearful requests, we continue to enable and encourage the fear. That's not an act of love. That's lazy and destructive and doesn't allow the people around us to face their fears and grow out of them.

There is NO DANGER to a person with celiac putting a frozen dinner in a bag in the car on the way to work. Period. It's pure irrational fear and the family member who is worried about this really needs a firm and loving reality check. It's stressful enough avoiding situations where there is a real danger of being glutened; creating danger out of safe situations will be detrimental to this person's mental health in the long term.

GOOD, GREAT, but One can do things for the LOVE of family members... REMENBER, I did Post IMHO.... They could do it for Family or just move out.... IMHO....

#14 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

And the FAMILY MEMBERS can do things for the LOVE of the OP - like allowing him/her to eat foods containing gluten when there is NO CHANCE of contaminating THEM.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

GOOD, GREAT, but One can do things for the LOVE of family members... REMENBER, I did Post IMHO.... They could do it for Family or just move out.... IMHO....

She probably does lots of things for the love of her family, but

transporting a sealed up box of frozen food in her car does not

mean she does not love them.

Suggesting she move out? Now, that's completely over the top here, Capt. Why does she have to do that? Lots of people co-exist safely with GEs.

Come on, now. Let's be reasonable. :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: