53 replies to this topic

#16 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

Gemini, Do you know what IMHO means??? After suffering with undiagnosed Celiac & DH for 50 plus years, I can call it LOVE.... Some here may not respect my IMHO either, but so be it... Some here haven't suffered enough either... I say, Spread the Love to Family Members...

If you are going to offer up your IMHO, then be prepared to receive comments. Are you saying that just because you throw that in, I can't make a comment back? Poppycock! Again...new Celiacs need to know this is not an issue. There is no love of family if they are trying to manipulate and guilt another family member into eating "their way". Don't confuse love with control freak behavior.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

My overactive imagination has conjured up an image of a terrible accident with a chicken nugget delivery truck that left billions of those little frozen crumbed morsels bouncing all over the highway like ping pong balls.

#18 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

Gemini, Do you know what IMHO means??? After suffering with undiagnosed Celiac & DH for 50 plus years, I can call it LOVE.... Some here may not respect my IMHO either, but so be it... Some here haven't suffered enough either... I say, Spread the Love to Family Members...

But she's not taking it into the home, or eating it infront of them or eating it in the car. It sounds a bit controling on the family's part that she can't eat gluten when she isn't home. Unless they are rifing with her, they wouldn't even know she had the Lean Cuisine or microwave pizza.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#19 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Since you won't be bringing any gluten into the house I don't see how it's anyone else's business. Honestly, how will they know? And frankly if you are in a wreck that is bad enough to cause your frozen meals to pop open and spill all over your car you have a lot more problems than gluten. I thought I was paranoid but holy crap... do they make you strip naked and deposit your clothes in the garbage can outside if you stopped at McDonald's while you were out? Really though, even if there were somehow CC in your car as long as they aren't licking the seats I don't really see it being a problem.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#20 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

Wow, so Heidi please don't think we're all wanting to fight with other when you read this. :blink: I notice you're new here and I didn't even welcome you. Welcome to board. Feelings run a little high when it comes to how careful you have to be about gluten. We're usually a much more laid-back bunch!

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Well, we are a passionate bunch and the majority of us have told her the frozen items in a bag in the trunk should pose no problem.

Heidi, a bunch of passionate celiacs think it's cool to transport your food in your car. Please tell your family we do not think it's a CC issue.

Hope this helps!!

yes.... and welcome to the Forum!!!!!! :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

Wow, so Heidi please don't think we're all wanting to fight with other when you read this. :blink: I notice you're new here and I didn't even welcome you. Welcome to board. Feelings run a little high when it comes to how careful you have to be about gluten. We're usually a much more laid-back bunch!

Well said! :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#23 NickMcKinnis

NickMcKinnis

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

I was trying to picture any scenario where possible gluten from a frozen meal could harm me as I ride in your car, even if we had a car crash, :rolleyes: and having it somehow magically open, defrost, then spill onto the seat and then what? absorb into my butt?? or by some bizarre twist of fate ---fly into mouth?? Ain't gonna happen.

I almost died laughing over this post. Thank you for your wisdom and hilarity.

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

I almost died laughing over this post. Thank you for your wisdom and hilarity.

You betcha. ;) Gotta keep these things in perspective. yes? Yes.

I see you're "new-ish" too, Nick. Welcome to the Forum!!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#25 NickMcKinnis

NickMcKinnis

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

You betcha. ;) Gotta keep these things in perspective. yes? Yes.

I see you're "new-ish" too, Nick. Welcome to the Forum!!!

Indeed, and thank you very much! This is not only my first Celiac forum, but my first forum ever!

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

Indeed, and thank you very much! This is not only my first Celiac forum, but my first forum ever!

How 'bout that--mine too! :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

My overactive imagination has conjured up an image of a terrible accident with a chicken nugget delivery truck that left billions of those little frozen crumbed morsels bouncing all over the highway like ping pong balls.

lol

You forgot those little crumbs bouncing into the vents of oncoming cars and into the A/C and all over the person with Celiac driving in a great gluten filled cloud!

#28 NickMcKinnis

NickMcKinnis

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

lol

You forgot those little crumbs bouncing into the vents of oncoming cars and into the A/C and all over the person with Celiac driving in a great gluten filled cloud!

Great, now I'm going to have nightmares about an onslaught of chicken nuggets...

#29 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

I just wanted to take a minute to validate the captain's comments.

For some people, at certain stages in their healing, loved ones going completely gluten-free may just be the best support they could ask for. Also, many people here ask friends and family to take (what would seem to an outsider) crazy precautions. You could see the whole 'frozen food boxes' thing as paranoia, or the request of someone who is trying to figure out what's making them sick and is trying to cover all bases.

The OP did the best thing, she found out if the precaution was necessary before agreeing to do it. If her family isn't yet ready to accept that, and is still in the frame of mind that the captain presents, maybe she can come up with some compromise that will work for both.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#30 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:05 AM

Using their logic, anything anywhere could have gluten on it. I could eat a sandwich then go touch something without washing my hands. But a prepared product in a sealed package? I wouldn't worry about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: