This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipe For Breakfast Cookie/muffin?

smsm

smsm Contributor

Hi, My son (age 5) is growing increasingly and severely picky about breakfast foods. Right now, he will only eat pancakes and while I am happy to do that, I want to work on adding more nutrition in his morning. Does anyone have any good (and EASY!) breakfast cookie or muffin recipes? He really doesn't like cinnamon but other than that I am willing to try whatever. I would love to find a quinoa cookie but I haven't found anything I like when I google for that. Any of you sitting on my miracle recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JoyK8 Newbie

Sorry, I don't have your miracle recipe but I did go through the same thing with my son. Perhaps you can start by adding more nutrition to his beloved pancakes? I always add several tbsp. of hemp hearts as well as mashed banana and/or berries or other fruits to pancakes mixes. You could also use chia, flax, and probably even some form of quinoa ( maybe flakes?). I also gave my son "special" weekend pancakes; thin buckwheat crepes filled with organic yogurt & warm fruit then sprinkled with hemp hearts & a drizzle of honey. He liked these so much that they were a great transition to breakfast parfaits; layers of fruit, yogurt, hemp hearts & honey drizzle (in a parfait glass, of course!). Good luck, hope this helps.

purple Community Regular

Here is a thread from a few years ago:

I have made all of these recipes in May for my 23 yr old daughter, she hates the kitchen.

see link below on same thread.

page__pid__571848#entry571848

I forgot about this recipe, thanks for your muffin question. I can make these to take her on my next visit. You could put tiny chopped ham bits or bacon in them. Have your son decide what he would like and if he wants to help make them. Try 1/4 cup loosely packed pepperoni, etc.

Open Original Shared Link

I made muffins for my other daughter with this recipe, she loved them cuz shes a gluten-free vegan. 1/2 recipe made about 9 muffins.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Hi, My son (age 5) is growing increasingly and severely picky about breakfast foods. Right now, he will only eat pancakes and while I am happy to do that, I want to work on adding more nutrition in his morning. Does anyone have any good (and EASY!) breakfast cookie or muffin recipes? He really doesn't like cinnamon but other than that I am willing to try whatever. I would love to find a quinoa cookie but I haven't found anything I like when I google for that. Any of you sitting on my miracle recipe?

I made this earlier in the week and it was wonderful! Open Original Shared Link My gluten eating husband loved it. I reduced the cinnamon to 1 tsp although I'll bet you could leave it out completely (maybe add some vanilla for flavor?), and added a handful of chocolate chips. I was able to throw it together in under 10 minutes. I liked it because it was sweet but not too much so and had a lot of protein.

benXX Rookie

Hi, My son (age 5) is growing increasingly and severely picky about breakfast foods...

This reminds me of my mother always trying to make me eat breakfast.

The harder she tried, the less I would eat. I got less picky once she let it go.

Now, only in the countries with the highest percentage obese people, breakfast seems to be considered to most important meal of the day... *-)

Roda Rising Star

Does he like other foods? Sometimes when my boys get bored of breakfast foods, they eat other things. It might be a grilled cheese sandwich or leftovers from the night before. As long as they eat something that is half way decent I don't make a fuss.

VydorScope Proficient

Does he like other foods? Sometimes when my boys get bored of breakfast foods, they eat other things. It might be a grilled cheese sandwich or leftovers from the night before. As long as they eat something that is half way decent I don't make a fuss.

Yeah, we seem (at least in America) to have this idea "this food is breakfast, this other food is lunch, and do not mix with dinner foods." Mix it up. We have done cheeseburger patties for breakfast, and pancakes for dinner. Mix it up and as young as he is he might even find it a bit exciting. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Yeah, we seem (at least in America) to have this idea "this food is breakfast, this other food is lunch, and do not mix with dinner foods." Mix it up. We have done cheeseburger patties for breakfast, and pancakes for dinner. Mix it up and as young as he is he might even find it a bit exciting. :)

I so agree with this. Whoever brainwashed us into thinking the above is written in stone deserves to have a few wheat kernels placed in his food. :angry:

We mix it up, too. Sometimes I make egg dishes for dinner and sometimes we may have stir fries for breakfast. We love leftovers at our house. :) Variety is key.

I have so many muffin recipes it's not even funny. I posted a few last week I think...

jeannieknits Rookie

this is super easy and tasty: you could leave the cinnamon out.

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup milk

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 large mashed banana

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Mix together the quick cooking oats, light brown sugar, baking powder, kosher salt and ground cinnamon.

Add in the vanilla extract, milk and egg. Mix the ingredients together.

Then add in the mashed banana and peanut butter. Combine all of the ingredients.

Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch metal baking pan. Bake at 350 F degrees for 20 minutes.

Cut into squares and enjoy!

jeannieknits Rookie

These are delicious, I use Better Batter gluten free flour in them and they store really well. We used to have them (non gluten-free, from the market) when my kids were younger and they loved them. I was tickled when I found this recipe and was able to alter it. :)

Corn Toasties

1 stick unsalted butter, melted

1/2 c + 2 T sugar

2 eggs

1 t vanilla

1 1/2 t baking powder

3/4 c + 2 T cornmeal

1 1/4 c all-purpose gluten free flour

1/4 tsp xanthan gum (omit if flour blend has it)

1/2 t salt

1 c milk

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a medium-sized bowl mix together the melted butter & sugar. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Add the baking powder, cornmeal, flour & salt. Mix until everything is moistened. Stir in milk & mix until almost smooth (a few lumps are fine).

Lightly grease a 10" x 15" baking sheet with 1/2" sides. Pour the batter into the baking sheet, spreading into all the corners. Tap the baking sheet on the counter 1 or 2 times to even the batter out.

Bake for about 25 minutes. The edges should be brown & pulling away from the side of the pan & the top show be set. Allow to rest in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes. Using a sharp knife cut into individual pieces I cut it into eight 2 1/2" x 3 3/4" rectangles.

Store the toasties wrapped in plastic wrap or in a resealable bag in the refrigerator for use over the next week. For longer storage keep them in the freezer.

To serve toast until browning & top with butter, syrup, honey or jam.

smsm Contributor

Thanks so much for the tips! The best idea so far this week is to have non-breakfast foods (why this did not occur to me before, I don't know). He likes what we call "pizza crackers" - gluten-free crackers with a dollop of marinara and sprinkled with cheese and then microwaved. I add fruit as a side. Still, I can't wait to try some of these ideas - I am sure there is a way to ease him into eating a greater variety. He is so food averse (he has always been this way) that I grow extremely concerned about him growing, etc. (all this for another thread, I guess). My husband thinks I throw too much emotion into getting him to eat and that perhaps by making it such a big deal, I am hurting my cause. Will keep plugging along. Thanks again!

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

We do lots of smoothies for breakfast. I keep frozen bananas on hand and bags of frozen berries. Blend them up with milk (sometimes coconut milk), add a little greek yogurt for protein, sometimes a few handfuls of fresh baby spinach and breakfast is done. If you add a tablespoon of ground flax or chia seeds, it is really filling.

Favorites:

Peanut butter - banana

mango, pineapple, banana

cantaloupe, raspberry, blueberry

I find that a stick blender works best and makes clean-up a snap.

(if you want to add spinach, use only light fruit (banana, pineapple, melon, etc.) and skip the strawberries and raspberries. The green and red combination makes an ugly and unappetizing color.)

Cara

Archived