This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Well That Was Fun (Not)

KMMO320

KMMO320 Contributor

After my Endo a week ago Today, I immediatley went gluten-free. I was doing really well and I started to feel a lot better, not 100%, which I didnt expect, but I could tell I felt better. More aware. I started probiotics and (sorry TMI here) my BM's have started to normalize..I have to say that is one of the PROUDEST feelings ever..not being in intense agony and running to the bathroom several times a day...

So Wednesday comes and I say..forget it..I want a donut! And what did I do? I had one. Within an hour I was dizzy, and then nauseus and by 9pm, I was in bed with a migraine and stomach pains. That was Wed afternoon..and I was sick all through yesterday and last night. I woke up this Am better, but still groggy.

I am actually happy I did that though because it made me realize that it wasn't worth it, it didnt taste that good and the thought of eating another one, or bread, or pasta, actually repulses me. I have ZERO desire to "cheat" or throw caution to the wind. I am so liking that I just had a nice lunch..at work and I work in a restaurant mind you, and I have NO stomach cramping, NO dizziness, NO foggy head, I just feel GOOD. and It is so abnormal for me to feel GOOD after eating. For years, I always needed a nap, whether I had a big Thanksgiving meal or a few crackers.

Not 100% but so much better..I cant believe it :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Glad you are having some success at feeling better. It takes time to learn the diet and time to heal. B)

IrishHeart Veteran

Nothing drives it home like a gluten headed migraine.

Refresh my memory---are you DXed with Celiac or not?

Because if you have Celiac, I am going to give you a lecture now on why you should NEVER, EVER do that. :)

But if you are just testing the waters because you doubt your non-celiac gluten intolerance, well that's different and I am sorry you feel like crap. You may have a few days of bad bowels again.

In any case, knock it off, lady and feel better soon!

And P.S. we are the only people who will celebrate happy BMs with you so, YAAAAYY!!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I am so glad we can feel circumstances that help motivate us. :)

KMMO320 Contributor

I am waiting for my official DX. I had bloodwork and my Endoscopy last week and I see my Dr for the follow up, I assume when she will tell me what all my tests said, on the 19th. before going in, she was reasonably sure I have celiac disease. but I guess no, I am not officially diagnosed.

If she comes back and says No, its not Gluten, well then, I really am at a loss. Lactose could explain my stomach issues but not really my sinus aches, joint pain, migraines, foggy head, itchy and watery eyes, irritability and moodiness...

I mean, yes it could be something else, and maybe I am imagining myself sick when I do eat something gluteny. And who would WANT to have celiac disease, know what I mean? I would be happy if it was something that could be treated without taking away entire food groups...

but for now, I didnt want to wait 2 weeks for a dr to tell me what to eat and not eat if my testing is all done. She did say to go gluten-free anyway, and if my tests are all NEG but I feel better after a few months then well, theres my answer.

IrishHeart Veteran

Okay, I recall your story now. :)

Well, I hate to state the obvious, but you just told us what happened when you went off gluten---you felt great !!!---and what happened when you ate the donut? You had all those symptoms return.

Still think you imagined it?

I don't.

KMMO320 Contributor

No, youre right. I just hate acting like a hypochondriac...I hate complaining, I worry too much that Im over reacting. We'll see but for now Ill do what works!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

A hypochondriac IMAGINES illness.

Are you imagining all these things? Nope.

You are not a hypochondriac, hon and don't let anyone tell you that.

And regarding your comment "No one wants to be a celiac." because you have to take away a food group.

Well, no one wants ANY disease, but it is what it is and there are worse afflictions. At least this AI disease has a known CAUSE and a treatment that causes no side effects. And we get well and feel great-- if we do what is prescribed: a dietary change.

No drugs necessary. We can also ward off further issues if we do this one thing.

You have to start looking at the positive side. It saved my life. :)

KMMO320 Contributor

Thank you. I do love coming here, it has been keeping me sane :)

Tonight, we had make your own pizza night. The kids made theirs with regular pizza dough, and I had my gluten-free pizza crusts and loaded it with some good stuff. It was not bad. I have to get used to tthe texture of these rice flour items that I have. So grainy.

I bought gluten-free Anisette cookies yesterday..very good, but again the texture..very crumbly.

I have 3 daughters. 2 are diagnosed with Hypothyroidism like me and are 11 and 13yo. The 13yo recently had a visit with her Endo and I had him do a full celiac panel on her. I havent heard anything back yet but its only been a week. Her and my 11yo both go back for visits in August so I will be having my 11yo checked as well.

I was waiting for a official diagnosis before I went ahead and called their primary dr, because I am thinking if I do then I need my 8yo checked as well.

My 13yo I have been watching..all my kids are small but she is really tiny, has headaches and yesterday she was complaining of seeing spots. When I mention that I want to start taking her off gluten she starts FREAKING OUT!!! Like, you would think that I was asking her to give up air. Crying, crying, crying...

So I am going to give her Endo a call next week and see if the bloodwork came back yet.

sigh.

IrishHeart Veteran

There are many parents of celiacs on here who can help you with all this "transitioning" when the time comes.

The fact that they are hypo at such a young age speaks volumes.

they may well continue to develop MORE AI diseases. You do not want that for them, I know.

May I suggest:

Against the Grain pizza? Very good.

In time, you can learn to bake your own pizza crusts and bread and muffins, etc. They will not be grainy and they will taste good to you.

Honey, being gluten free is not a death sentence.

How YOU view this whole thing will impact how they view it. Do not make it seem like it's horrible. I eat gourmet foods and baked goods to die for. My carrot cake with cream cheese frosting? My chocolate cake? yowzers! My hubs and friends eat like royalty when I cook/bake.

It's all in how you view it.Okay? okay.

KMMO320 Contributor

Then I will have to find some to die for recipes? :)

I am baking some gluten-free brownies with extra chocolate chips right now. I cant wait to see how they come out.

When it comes down to it...I wont really miss regular bread too much, and I wont miss pasta. I am more of a rice and potato girl anyway.

But my desserty stuff like muffins, donuts, brownies, cakes, cookies..that will be a challenge, only until I find the right substitutions.

My oldest daughter really eats pasta and bread, religiously so that will be tough if it comes down to it

Of course I know it could be worse, and I am thankful its not. My Sister in law survived Breast Cancer..while pregnant..and she complained less than I have been. lol

Its just an adjustment. :)

Ninja Contributor
My oldest daughter really eats pasta and bread, religiously so that will be tough if it comes down to it

I just wanted to share this with you:

I LIVED on gluten, essentially. Even though I felt awful, it was my normal. Two days after I went gluten-free I had NO cravings. None. My entire palate changed (for the better)! So, if your DD does have to go gluten-free, it may not be as bad as you think. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

It IS an adjustment, but "do-able". Hey, you have every right to squawk a little. We get it--we vent and bit*h here sometimes, too.

:D It is overwhelming and pretty sucky at first to accept the diagnosis. But, then, you move on.

The fact that your daughter is so hooked on wheat gluten speaks volumes. I was, too. Subbing the bread and pasta is simple enough. Rudy's (or make your own) and Rice and corn pastas are just as good.

There are many suggestions on here. Take a stroll through the recipe section and look at the "What are you making for dinner" thread! And just to get you started:

Get some Pamela's pancake and baking mix and get baking. Her website has tons of recipes. I am eating a banana walnut muffin with my coffee right now (and spilling crumbs on my laptop) :lol: King Arthur makes great gluten-free mixes too.

You guys will be okay!

sa1937 Community Regular

I am baking some gluten-free brownies with extra chocolate chips right now. I cant wait to see how they come out.

When it comes down to it...I wont really miss regular bread too much, and I wont miss pasta. I am more of a rice and potato girl anyway.

But my desserty stuff like muffins, donuts, brownies, cakes, cookies..that will be a challenge, only until I find the right substitutions.

Of course I know it could be worse, and I am thankful its not. My Sister in law survived Breast Cancer..while pregnant..and she complained less than I have been. lol

It will definitely be an adjustment but we can make some amazing gluten-free goodies so your daughter will not be missing out on good foods, even pasta. Have you taken a look around the recipe section? I think I eat better now than before I went gluten-free.

How were your gluten-free brownies?

frieze Community Regular

Thank you. I do love coming here, it has been keeping me sane :)

Tonight, we had make your own pizza night. The kids made theirs with regular pizza dough, and I had my gluten-free pizza crusts and loaded it with some good stuff. It was not bad. I have to get used to tthe texture of these rice flour items that I have. So grainy.

I bought gluten-free Anisette cookies yesterday..very good, but again the texture..very crumbly.

I have 3 daughters. 2 are diagnosed with Hypothyroidism like me and are 11 and 13yo. The 13yo recently had a visit with her Endo and I had him do a full celiac panel on her. I havent heard anything back yet but its only been a week. Her and my 11yo both go back for visits in August so I will be having my 11yo checked as well.

I was waiting for a official diagnosis before I went ahead and called their primary dr, because I am thinking if I do then I need my 8yo checked as well.

My 13yo I have been watching..all my kids are small but she is really tiny, has headaches and yesterday she was complaining of seeing spots. When I mention that I want to start taking her off gluten she starts FREAKING OUT!!! Like, you would think that I was asking her to give up air. Crying, crying, crying...

So I am going to give her Endo a call next week and see if the bloodwork came back yet.

sigh.

If you can afford the copays, I would put a rush on getting them all tested, and if nec., on the gluten free diet. BEFORE school starts in the fall......

IrishHeart Veteran

If you can afford the copays, I would put a rush on getting them all tested, and if nec., on the gluten free diet. BEFORE school starts in the fall......

Totally agree!!!

melikamaui Explorer

After my Endo a week ago Today, I immediatley went gluten-free. I was doing really well and I started to feel a lot better, not 100%, which I didnt expect, but I could tell I felt better. More aware. I started probiotics and (sorry TMI here) my BM's have started to normalize..I have to say that is one of the PROUDEST feelings ever..not being in intense agony and running to the bathroom several times a day...

So Wednesday comes and I say..forget it..I want a donut! And what did I do? I had one. Within an hour I was dizzy, and then nauseus and by 9pm, I was in bed with a migraine and stomach pains. That was Wed afternoon..and I was sick all through yesterday and last night. I woke up this Am better, but still groggy.

I am actually happy I did that though because it made me realize that it wasn't worth it, it didnt taste that good and the thought of eating another one, or bread, or pasta, actually repulses me. I have ZERO desire to "cheat" or throw caution to the wind. I am so liking that I just had a nice lunch..at work and I work in a restaurant mind you, and I have NO stomach cramping, NO dizziness, NO foggy head, I just feel GOOD. and It is so abnormal for me to feel GOOD after eating. For years, I always needed a nap, whether I had a big Thanksgiving meal or a few crackers.

Not 100% but so much better..I cant believe it :)

I did the exact same thing, with the exact same food, just after I had gone gluten-free, but before I was officially diagnosed. It taught me a lesson, and I have never cheated again (it's been two years). I'll bet your lesson sticks too. It just hurts too much to make it worth it.

jeannieknits Rookie

My daughter was having stomach pains, bowel issues (constantly) and severe migraines. After I was dx'd and had started the 'diet', and I was commenting on how much better I was feeling I started encouraging her to give it a try. (she had been tested for celiacs, her endo showed some villi were "flattened" but he would not give a dx of celiac at the time) She was so reluctant to try the gluten-free diet and "eat like YOU?" (teenager, lol) but, after a few months she agreed to try it for a month. after a week she was feeling so much better, she swore she'd never go back, and she hasn't! I'm telling you, once you get a little time of feeling great under your belt, you are no longer tempted.

As far as the baked goods go, I too was a huge cake/cookie/pie person (I'm a baker) and at the time of my dx, was managing a bakery/restaurant! It's been a rocky road, but I have learned a ton about the art of gluten free baking and (am still learning...) but am confident enough in my skills to bring desserts to family functions that everyone eats, and no one knows the difference.

So, it's not a death sentence by any means. It's merely a bump in the road.

The internet is chock full of resources, recipes, flours that aren't gritty, tips and tricks. Pretty soon it'll become second nature.

Good luck~

Darn210 Enthusiast

If you are already a baker, then you are ahead of the game. Learning to bake AND bake gluten free at the same time would be a challenge.

The homemade gluten free products are every bit as good as the gluten. It just takes the right combination of ingredients and a willingness to experiment. When I first started, I had very few end-products that were inedible. . . which just so happened to all be loaves of bread :ph34r: . The sweet stuff (the non-yeast products) are much easier. Just jump right in (I always preferred to start with my current gluten recipe and convert) and then tweak away what you don't like about it (crumbly/dry/gritty) the next time you make it. If you are not sure what to do, you jump on this forum and ask for recommendations on how to keep you cookies from crumbling or whatever.

I get a lot of "If you hadn't told me, I would have never known this was gluten free." And believe me, I tell people!! I'm doing my share to dispell the myth that gluten free isn't as good . . . one person/chocolate chip cookie at a time. :D

IrishHeart Veteran

I get a lot of "If you hadn't told me, I would have never known this was gluten free." And believe me, I tell people!! I'm doing my share to dispell the myth that gluten free isn't as good . . . one person/chocolate chip cookie at a time. :D

YAAAAY, J!!! :)

Me, too. I defy anyone to tell me my carrot cake with butter and cream cheese frosting isn't the real deal.

Although, I have had a few clunker loaves of bread myself. :unsure: They now serve as door stoppers in heavy winds....

Lisa Mentor

If you are already a baker, then you are ahead of the game. Learning to bake AND bake gluten free at the same time would be a challenge.

The homemade gluten free products are every bit as good as the gluten. It just takes the right combination of ingredients and a willingness to experiment. When I first started, I had very few end-products that were inedible. . . which just so happened to all be loaves of bread :ph34r: . The sweet stuff (the non-yeast products) are much easier. Just jump right in (I always preferred to start with my current gluten recipe and convert) and then tweak away what you don't like about it (crumbly/dry/gritty) the next time you make it. If you are not sure what to do, you jump on this forum and ask for recommendations on how to keep you cookies from crumbling or whatever.

I agree with Darn210! I just posted this:

mbrookes Community Regular

If the desserty thing is a major hurdle, let me suggest The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free by Anne Byrn. This has fabulous recipes that start off with gluten-free cake mixes ( I use Betty Crocker). Everything I have made from this book has been totally up to standard. She covers cakes, cookies, brownies, bundts and bars. The Bacardi rum cake is one of my favorites!

KMMO320 Contributor

thanks for all the tips!

The gluten-free Brownies I made were tasty, Better Crocker mix..but I definitely reacted..probably due to CC..so I will try to make them again this time using a new bowl, spoon, pan, etc and see what happens.

Archived