Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Newbie Confused About Her Blood Results! Quantitative Iga High?

5 posts in this topic

Hello All, I'm hoping your expertise can help me. My mom was diagnosed with Celiac's disease about 9 years ago. It has stolen her life from her really, so I know how hideous this disease is. I know I have the celiac gene because I've been tested. I recently got my blood tested and was negative for the following tests: Transglutaminase IgA Antibody (Ab, Iga,EIA); Endomysial IGA Antibody, IFA; Gliadin Deamidated Antibodies IgC, IgA. The test called Quantitative Iga was HIGH. My result was 396 and the test range was 68-378.

I'm unsure but I believe that this test measures whether or not I have a deficiency in the Iga and if so it might affect the other tests by providing me with a false negative(s). So, my question is does a High result have any correlation to celiac disease? I'm hoping to avoid this disease but at 45 I'm finding a greater and greater correlation to what food I ingest and how crappy I feel. Thanks for listening and wishing you all good health (and a great weekend!!) Maddie

Ads by Google:

I believe you are right on in your thinking. I would like to see the more experienced members look at this & answer you. This response will bump your post up & hopefully they will chime in.

What did your doctor say? Was it a GI doc or your primary care doc?

Here is what I found:

"Levels of IgA get higher in some autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and in liver diseases, such as cirrhosis and long-term (chronic) hepatitis.

High levels of IgA may mean monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) or multiple myeloma is present."

In summary, it means there is some type of inflammation going on, but I would NOT conclude it means anything until I see the doctor who ordered the test for you.

This test result alone is non-conclusive for celiac, IMHO. but it does not mean you do not have it, either.

Sorry--that was probably not very helpful at all :(

I am seronegative for celiac disease and IgA deficient myself, so testing for me was never accurate at all. It's frustrating, I know.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Thanks for all of the responses! To answer your questions, it's my general doctor who ran tests at my request. She stated the tests reveal no evidence of celiac sprue. I'm not a hypochondriac in the slightest, in fact more the opposite ("everything's fine") but I feel like I either have this disease or I will have it. I've decided to go gluten free for three months and see if I feel any different and if I do I'm just going to stay that way forever I guess. Hopefully one day there will be a cure for this crappy disease. Thanks for the information and I wish you all the best. The more we share information and symptoms the better of we'll all be I think. Maddie :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Marip, Have you been diagnosed with celiac disease or Non-celiac Gluten Intolerance?  I notice you joined in 2014.  Did you ever go guten free?  How can we help?   Sorry, I'm not a stool expert!  You could Google it...  Malabsorption?  Standard lab tests that check for anemia and vitamin deficiencies, etc.  should help make that diagnosis.  
    • You can eat just a slice or two (or equivalent) of bread a day for accurate testing.   I understand about the high deductibles.  We're self-employed and we pay for our health insurance. 
    • Sure, if it's gluten free, then fine.  I am very allergic (like anaphylactic) to ibuprofen and aspirin.  So, in my case, I would just tough it out.  Go to bed.  Sleep it off.....eventually. My money is on the garlic and onions.  I can't consume those either (damn that zonulin/leaky gut -- google it along with Dr. Fasano).  I just season with salt, pepper.  Boring.  But no gut issues.  I'm hoping like my lactose intolerance (resolved), that I will get garlic and onions back.   Finally, sometimes just eating anything can hurt when you still have intestinal damage.  Hopefully, you'll feel better in two or three hours if it's celiac related.  Longer if it's an intolerance (leaky gut thing....) Hugs!      
    • I read on their website that all Advil is gluten free, I had such bad pinching cramping today(which I don't why since I prepared all my food at home today.) I made a pot roast, salt garlic, onions...No gluten but still pain, That's the only thing I ate today..I don't eat breakfast or anything.   Anyways.   Is it a good idea to take Advil for the cramping? That's how I would describe it like someone is reaching inside me and pinching me and twisting my insides.    This is what I took  
    • I'll give my PCP a call tomorrow and see what they can offer. My only worry is the expense as anymore tests will put me behind in being able to afford to see the GI. I have high deductible insurance but get money put into my HSA. I'm still trying to pay off the CT scan though. Which is why I'm trying to pick and choose which poses the greatest risk for me right now and what can wait. (Though I would prefer not to wait on any of it.)

I really do hope its only IBS. Though I always worry IBS is more or less a doctors way of saying "I have no clue" at that point. :C

Again, I'll be sure to give my PCP a call tomorrow then and see what the options are. I can feel a lot better trying the blood work first. however, once that is done, do I still need to be on a gluten diet before the endoscopy? Also, is it ok if I still mildly reduce the gluten. As in, can I avoid a whole wheat pasta dinner, but still be eating the peanut butter crackers? That sort of thing. Again I guess that is more of a doctor related question. I just wasn't sure if in order to raise your chance, you have to mass consume gluten or not. (Its already in just about everything to begin with.)   --Edit--
      I just now reread the part that you still need to be on the gluten foods even for biopsy so I'll be sure to do that too.

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    epalmer9