This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Glutening, I Really Do Know Better.

GF Lover

GF Lover Rising Star

So hubs, me and step-daughter go out to O'Charleys for dinner last night. This is the only place I trust to eat out at since they have a thorough allergy menu. Anyway, I select my dinner and get a ceasar side salad. Yup, checked, Gluten free dressing. So out comes the salad. Much to my surprise I had forgotten to tell them no croutons, serious rookie mistake. Second mistake immediately follows, I just took out the croutons, only about five of them and then ATE IT.

Ok, now I scarf down dinner, feeling my stomach cramping before the asparagus is fully consumed. Hubs orders desert, by now it's a full blown attack on my insides. I calmly tell hubs, we have to go now, it's the picked off croutons. He snags the check, all paid and it's time to leave.

Next comes a most comedic walk of my life. I try to stand, well, I get half standing, hand clutching stomach, as we weave thru the restaurant toward the exit. I could feel every eyeball on me as I hobbled out.

Could you imagine eating your food and seeing this half dying woman leaving the restaurant? I was so embarrassed, but I do hope everyone was able to enjoy their dinner after seeing me.

Needless to say, I am still on the couch as of this hour, but finding much humor in my spectacular exit :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Poor babe.

Having mastered the "butt cheeks firmly squeezed together as I pray feverishly to make it home before I lose my dignity" walk, I can honestly say I "get it".

I knew where every public bathroom was within a 180 miles radius of my home. I even resorted to the woods on occasion.

Hon, some of us would have never made it OUT of the restaurant (back in the old days.)

Some would have crapped right in their pants IN the restaurant, so KUDOS for getting out of there so gracefully. (applause, applause)

And because it's a rookie mistake which you are paying for, but still maintaining your sense of humor, (good girl!) I'll spare you the lecture on why you must never do that again! :)

Sorry you got "hit" and you feel bad and I hope you get well soon.

Drink a lot of water, double up on the probiotics and take it easy today.

love2travel Mentor

The first thing that hit me when I read this post was, Oh no! The picking-off-the-croutons-trick. However, as I read your post I began to appreciate your sense of humour. You obviously look on the bright side of things and this translates into less stress which is great. What is done is done. An unfortunate thing happened but you managed to turn it around. I believe how one looks at things and one's attitude can make ALL the difference. How you react to stress reflects your character. I have been learning that (and I can be a slow learner :lol: ).

IrishHeart Veteran

I believe how one looks at things and one's attitude can make ALL the difference. How you react to stress reflects your character.

true, true, dear Love2

"Adversity reveals true character".

I learned that how I reacted to stress was not always beneficial.

Eating, drinking, drugs, getting angry....throwing things off bridges, strangling that lady who cut me off in Boston traffic.

(I served 8 years for that. Got off on a technicality) but I learned to meditate and do Tai Chi in prison. (see, bright side!)

Just kidding everyone.

I was never caught.

:)

Humor. Humor aids in stress-busting!!!

(and Gin. Gin helps. :lol: )

No matter how horrible a day is, I find something to laugh about. Honestly, I cried an ocean of tears for many years while I was sick and in pain and did not know why I was dying. I'm so done with that!!

Each day is a gift, even with croutons on top.

kareng Grand Master

Next time, when you send the salad back, hide a crouton on the bottom. Then you will know if they gave you the same salad back.

IrishHeart Veteran

Clever--see this is why we pay her the big bucks!!

kareng Grand Master

On this thread, currently trending ( trying to sound hip)::

Babs said to stick a sugar packet at the bottom of the salad. Would be easier to find, especially a pink one.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

On this thread, currently trending ( trying to sound hip)::

Babs said to stick a sugar packet at the bottom of the salad. Would be easier to find, especially a pink one.

Oh, these are FAB!! Love it!!!!!!

GF Lover Rising Star

Thanks guys for recognizing how I deal with stress. It is really the only option for me. Crying gives me a headache. :D

And believe me, the relationship between me and croutons is OVER!!!

I also submit that my brain isn't firing on all cylinders and I am not responsible for this mistake :rolleyes:. Be well.

IrishHeart Veteran

I also submit that my brain isn't firing on all cylinders and I am not responsible for this mistake :rolleyes:. Be well.

We know, sweetie, gluten head makes us STOOOPID.

You're going to be okay ((HUGS))

PS Your doggie is adorable!

GF Lover Rising Star

IH, the Boston Strangler story is classic! I'm still laughing. And yup, the pup is my best friend. Be well.

IrishHeart Veteran

IH, the Boston Strangler story is classic! I'm still laughing. And yup, the pup is my best friend. Be well.

You too, honey. Get a good night's rest. :)

Tomorrow is another day!!!

(picture IH dressed as Scarlett O'Hara delivering that line)

BTW, one of the worst lines attributed to a strong, classic heroine!

jeannieknits Rookie

true, true, dear Love2

"Adversity reveals true character".

I learned that how I reacted to stress was not always beneficial.

Eating, drinking, drugs, getting angry....throwing things off bridges, strangling that lady who cut me off in Boston traffic.

(I served 8 years for that. Got off on a technicality) but I learned to meditate and do Tai Chi in prison. (see, bright side!)

Just kidding everyone.

I was never caught.

:)

Humor. Humor aids in stress-busting!!!

(and Gin. Gin helps. :lol: )

No matter how horrible a day is, I find something to laugh about. Honestly, I cried an ocean of tears for many years while I was sick and in pain and did not know why I was dying. I'm so done with that!!

Each day is a gift, even with croutons on top.

this made my day (you have no idea how this made my day)

thank you.

IrishHeart Veteran

this made my day (you have no idea how this made my day)

thank you.

I am so happy to know that anything I say helps in any way, hon. :)

Cheers, IH

P.S My best friend has hemochromatosis. Will YOU tell her that is connected to gluten/celiac, please? she will not listen to me.

Archived